Minor 360 dashboard update causing RROD (supposedly)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jim Steele, Feb 6, 2009.

1. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

It's absoloutely true. If the network is busy or having trouble loading it
    takes longer for it to pull up on your dashboard.

The only time I've ever seen one have trouble loading up is when the network
    had timeout for a moment, there was traffic, or simply alot of data to load.
    It has nothing to do with the dash design or the machine, just transfer of
    data to the machine.

No network is always working at full capacity.
    There's nothing to be ironed out.

2. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, everything else works perfectly on my network with no lag at all most of the time. Not an issue with my internet connection.

I get incomplete loads that take a LONG time to finish (if they do at all) when trying to open the new friend list, and I'm certain others do as well. That makes it a design flaw--Microsoft is trying to load too much information at once or their servers can't handle the bandwidth required to send the avatar data to tons of concurrent users. Considering I never see lag when loading content in the Spotlight or Marketplace tabs, and only see it in the friend list and pseudo-blades interface, that almost certainly makes it a flaw. It seems like something easily fixed, so hopefully they get on it.

3. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

Heh, ok. :bolian:

4. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i got the red rings of death a few days ago, the day after i did the install. You guys suggest anything i can do? i was just gonna go out and buy the core (arcade system) from circuit city's going out of businesss sale, for like 160 bucks and then just put my old harddrive onto the new unit.

this is all bad timing since Street Figter IV comes out next week!

5. mrcoaster

mrcoaster Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's kind of what I did a couple of weeks ago. I've sent my RROD unit in and am using a new arcade unit I bought (along with the old HD attached). When the original unit comes back, we'll just use the 2nd machine upstairs (along with the extra 20GB HD I have hanging around).

6. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

I know I'm being paranoid, but I figure another week or so without downloading just in case there's another quick 'fix' isn't going to affect my experience that much unless of course they've updated the divX drivers :)

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I downloaded the upgrade before knowing there was an issue.

Things have been fine, I've been playing all weekend with no problems.

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I am waiting for Microsoft to release a 2nd patch and wait 72 hours for feedback on it, before I even plug my 360 back to the internet.

9. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think the caution is unwarranted at all.

No, but it can cause a fatal OS error which could stop the thing booting, effectively ruining the machine and flagging a few red lights. It might no be the same error that we've come to know as RRoD, but if people are updating then immediately getting a broken console displaying a red light, what's the difference really?

There was a PS3 software update that bricked quite a few of their machines. And given how shoddy and flimsy a platform the 360 is, can you really blame its users for being wary when they hear stories like this?

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Spot on, the software update obviously tricks the O/S into thinking a RROD has occured.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit concerned. With my tax money I paid my bills, saved some, and I have a little bit to spend on my entertainment budget for the year, and I wanted to buy an XBOX 360 Pro (60GB HD). I was going to get a blu-ray player, but my brother suggested the XBOX instead. He says the XBOX 360 will upscale DVDs like a blu-ray player will AND I'll have a nice game system, and since I have no interest in buying blu-ray titles for my HDTV yet, I think he's right, but this concerns me.

J.

12. unimatrix7

unimatrix7 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A PS3 is a Blu-ray player, a DVD upscaler, and a nice games system. It does these things with very minimal risk of spontaneously not working.

13. Jim Steele

It is a bit pricier though... and the game library just isn't as good IMHO.

Given the choice I'd have all three consoles but the PS3 has eluded my wallet so far (the wife said no).

14. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jim echoes my sentiments too, though. If I could afford a PS3, I would, but even refurbished they're $300. Blu-Ray would be cool as I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading in the future, but I simply can't afford one. This XBOX 360 is a bundle pack that I'm getting for $199 and has HDMI output.

J.

15. Jim Steele

I honestly wouldn't worry about buying a new 360, J. The newer ones seem far less likely to have problems. I got mine in Feb 08' and it's perfect, no problems.

16. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well last night was my 3rd night of gaming since the update and my 3rd consectutive night with a complete system lockup.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the update or not, but I'm not a happy Xbox customer right now. My old xbox, the one who went RROD, actually locked up less than this new one. Hell I doubt if my PS3, that I've had since about 6 months after launch, has totally locked up on me 3 times in this entire time of having it.

So yeah if you haven't updated your Xbox yet, I wouldn't rush out and do it just yet. My not be related, but why take the chance?

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I said that for 18 months after I bought mine, then one day, while playing Burnout Paradise it just locked up, I rebooted it and RRoD. Then another 8 months later exact same thing. So I blame Burnout...

18. Jim Steele

D:

Didn't you have an earlier model though?

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Yeah, I bought it June 2006.

20. Jim Steele

Mine is just lulling me into a false sense of security, isn't it. The little bastard is dying to explode. I can tell.