A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jaqen changed his face in front of Arya and the guy with this exact appearance was the one who killed Pate.

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yeah, and then he must have changed his face to look just like Pate.

3. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BAH!

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Bit of trivia: Natalie Tena revealed in an interview that when Hodor went the full monty prosthetic genitals were used over the real ones.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I think that goes without saying. :lol:

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gee that must have been an interesting job for the sulpter.
    "So what did you do at work today"
    "Oh, nothing. I just sculpted some male genitals for Game of Thrones."

7. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

It'd make for a killer line in your c.v., that's for sure! :D

8. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

Oh I either flew by the killers description, or I didn't remember Jaqen's.

Next question: why would anyone think that Jaqen = Syrio? (Apart from the fact that we didn't see any body for Syrio)

9. Shurik

Jaqen=Syrio theory is based on fandom's love for Syrio and a lot of wishful thinking.
    We didn't see Syrio's body and Jaqen was picked from KL dungeons shortly afterwards. Personally, I find it hard to believe that the Kingsguard guy who fought him, spared him after Syrio killed or maimed several Lannister guardsmen. Syrio is dead as a result of a very noble sacrifice.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Anthony Morris has been cast as Tickler and Andy Beckwith as Rorge. GRRM's clues point to Gerard Jordan playing Biter.

11. TheLobes

TheLobes Commander Red Shirt

Do you guys consider those books to be 'great novels' or think they are well written?

12. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I think of them as a great fantasy epic. They are well written, but IMO would have been better if the saga were a bit more streamlined. Just my .02

13. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

Much of the books are well-written (there are specific scenes and chapters I'm thinking of - not sure if I should spoil them, because a lot of the examples are from ADWD.) I'm withholding judgment on whether it's a "great fantasy epic" until I see how the final two books conclude - the first three are certainly tremendous, but a great build-up doesn't mean anything if you can't provide a satisfying ending.

14. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They're very good reads, and go quite quickly for their size. Even the weakest of them is the sort of novel you can find yourself plunging through over a dozen chapters in an afternoon.

As literature they have a few standard fantasy ticks - Martin must dutifully spend a great deal of time explaining heraldry, or what so-and-so is eating - and the strength of their plotting loosens as the series progresses, but it's the best non-Pratchett fantasy I've read in a long time.

15. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Admiral

The last two books could've definitely gotten some more editing/fat-trimming out of them, I think.

(Speaking of which, is it just me, or are almost all of the Lords This-and-That fat and/or huge beyond belief? Especially in ADWD, it seemed like every non-POV/non-major male character was a porker!)

But yes, all in all... pretty good reads.

Cheers,
    -CM-

16. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I consider them to be great novels, no doubt about it.

17. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just read "The Eye of the World" by Robert Jordan... I don't read a lot of fantasy, but if that's what we're comparing GRRM to, then A Song of Ice and Fire is a goddamn masterpiece.

18. Astraea

Astraea Commander Red Shirt

I agree about the need for editing in the last two books; in particular, Tyrion and Dany's chapters needed some serious trimming in ADWD.

But I'm not sure about the comment about ADWD having a large amount of large lords. Aside from Wyman Manderly, Tyrion's lord who died of the pale mare, and Doran Martell, who else is really fat? (Come to think of it, Doran Martell might not even be fat - I'm only thinking of him as such because he's got such bad gout, which is traditionally associated with overindulgence.) Any other large characters were introduced long before ADWD: Illyrio, Sam, possibly Varys, Robert Baratheon, and Lollys (and none of them are lords except Robert, who's obviously not in ADWD.)

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Ok, this story has me in stitches!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

20. Shurik