Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Looks legit to me. As to where it comes from, who knows? But it's obviously the real deal. Good find!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

The newly composited matte shot look amazing, but reading "Birthright" I was hoping to get a glimpse of Deep Space Nine in HD. Damn. :(

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those were my hopes as well!

But, it does look good (as expected). It's interesting to see the changes they made in the foliage just surrounding the compound.

4. depp91

depp91 Ensign Newbie

I wonder who leaked this shot...
    It looks great though. The improvement is HUGE despite the low resolution. Looks like one of the more realistic matte paintings in TNG.

5. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

The buildings and the trees around it (which were touched up for the remastering) were actually a tabletop model. I guess the trees were changed and added to better mask the transition from the model to the photo of trees.

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup. There was similar touch-up between the live action and matte painting elements of the vineyard shot from Family.

7. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

*Finishes "The Masterpiece Society"*
    *crawls to laptop*

Geezos gawd. I have never, ever been so angry with an episode of TNG that didn't involve the treatment of women until now. Forget all my logical thinking about why I hated "The Royale", this episode is like a spoiled jerk who thinks he's big time, but is the lowest of the low. Nothing works. Not a freaking thing. I cannot WAIT to hit this episode on "TNG Episode of the Week".

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Handled better though, hopefully. The pull-back on the vineyard was sloppily done.

9. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol:

I think I only ever saw that episode once. Says it all really.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Outside shots have always looked spectacular, even when HTV was doing the work (The Royale looked really good, for example). At least this is something but I can't wait till we have more screencaps. I can't wait to see the final Data's Dream sequence in HD.

11. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

You might want to take a look at "Timescape". On the DVD at the 38 minute mark there is a shot of the Enterprise and Romulan ship where the camera pans over the back of the Enterprise. It is a shot that, as far as I can recall, is unique to "Timescape", and it is used a number of times throughout the episode. There is rain bowing on the tiny windows, not as bad as in the first season episodes, but it's there. Plus there is another shot that is used quite a bit in the episode, a shot that pans from the Enterprise to the runabout. You can clearly see the D's deflector dish in this shot, and while it does not fluctuate like normal, there is rain bowing on the rest of the tiny windows in the D, plus the runabout shows quite a bit of jiggling on the various levels that are seen. Even Worf's sash and the collar piece's of the Romulan uniforms, especially the one's on the transporter pad.

And while I agree that the series was moved to Image G for better editing, the shows do not display the quality that D1 would offer. I'm currently on "Duet" from DS9 at 19:02, and I just noticed the close up of Sisko's monitor: there is some tiny writing on it along with the big numbers "302". That sticker would've been on the original prop, not an insert shot (aside from Dukat on screen); all that writing, including the 302 is showing a lot of rainbowing from a composite source. Therefore I believe that someone mis-spoke and it was not D1 the quoted person meant but D2. Remember, Sony developed D1 and then co-developed D2 with Ampex. So there are Sony D2 machines out there.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  12. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I got to listen to Seth McFarlane and Brannon Braga's commentary for TNG, which was a lot of fun.

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Once again, Legato, et al. were doing component RGB compositing in seasons 1 and 2 while they were still using the old analog 1" tape format. It makes no sense for them to switch to a composite digital tape format (D2) when a component digital tape format (D1) was available at The Post Group. Everything you're seeing, the rainbow artifacting, dot crawl, etc., can be explained by the show being duped to a composite format for titling AFTER the online edit was complete in D1 with effects in place.

It would be these composite dupes with titles that would make it to broadcast and later DVD. :)

14. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something about season five feels more 90's than the earlier seasons. Put on a season 5 ep and I'm in the 90's, put on season 2 and I'm in the 80's. For some reason Beverly Crusher got way hotter in this season.

Is it just me or is The Masterpiece Society very similar to that earlier "colony relocation" episode where Data convinces them to leave? Which is also similar to Insurrection.

Watching Reunification was kind of interesting knowing what happens in JJ Abrams Trek... if you know what I mean. I'd like to pick up the standalone to complete the set its kind of long and talky for a two parter. The second half is way better though. Still beats Time's Arrow though.

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only good part of The Masterpiece Society is Ron Canada pitching a fit in the background when the leader first speaks with Picard. :lol:

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Stands to reason, considering season 5 was made in the '90s and season 2 was made in the '80s. I'm not sure I follow.

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not much to follow, just worth noting. Season 4 still feels kind of 80's to me even though it came out in the 90's.

19. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I kind of get what you mean. For me, what's different about S5 compared to what came before is that the show was finally at ease with itself. The first four seasons had to prove themselves to some extent and for a variety of reasons, but by S5 it had already surpassed TOS, reached its 100th episode, it was being made during the 25th anniversary of the franchise, ect. There's a certain kind of confidence about the show that feels different from before, and remains so until the show starts to feel all worn and tired by the final season.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've gotta be honest, outside of a couple episodes, season five feels really tired. I made it about halfway through the Blu-ray set when I bought it, then put it on a shelf and its been collecting dust ever since.