Star Trek and Homosexuality

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by jpch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But there is disappointment in Crusher's voice as she deals with the new host and she didn't have any problem jumping from Odan to Riker...

The safest thing to say about humans in Trek is that being gay seems to have been bred out of the species. Whether it was Roddenberry, Berman or Abrams there is an absolute absence of gay people in Star Trek from 1964 to 2009. Which is a shame.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

For me, the two best written romances in Trek, are two that didn't have a happy ending. Kira and Odo and The EMH and Seven. Those romances were both very beautiful and very believable, but, Odo had to leave, and for some unfathomable reason, Voyager PTB hooked Seven up with Chakotay :cardie:

Yea, a Gay couple should be no different to write for then a straight couple, you don't need the swishy limp wristed stereotype, they don't need to be stereotypically slutty. You just show a couple holding hands, living together, talking about the issues of the day, romantic glances, sweet touching, etc, just like a straight couple, except, with only a single gender, rather than one of each gender

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I didn't think there was any sexual chemistry between Kira and Odo. Yes it was very believable when he was in love with her and she was oblivious. They should have just left it at that and it would have been very grown-up. I'm sorry but that famous kiss on the promenade was just ewwww.

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

They sure did spend a lot of time alone together in the holosuite.

5. Sindatur

I thought it was very romantic, the way they were always grinning like Cheshire cats, and touching each other sweetly, the sheer ecstacy on Kira's face when he went all colorful like a Rainbow, after going through the motions of melding with her

6. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

These "romances" were very beautiful and believable because they didn't have a happy ending.

I just wished they had kept the love between Kira and Odo one-sided as well. I agree with Deckerd, no sexual tension there.

7. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

When Worf announced the new host arrived, she said, 'send him in'.

She expected a male and she seemed to be smiling at first and then looked disappointed upon seeing it was a female.

I don't think it was an episode about homophobia, more about love surviving changes.

But you see a subtle example of sexual preference, although she doesn't just come out and say it. Which was perfectly fine, and yet maybe part of the problem too.

Topics like that are strictly avoided on screen in Trek world, so some fans get different interpretations from scenes like that, IMO.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  8. Sindatur

Heh, you mean like with Bareil or Shaka'ar, nothing there either, and no romantic scenes to boot

9. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

How exactly is it a refutation? Can you step me through the argument?

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's just Kira :confused:

I never liked the Kira and Odo thing at all. I had trouble believing it from Kira's side but that may be a personal aversion to Odo on my part. His infatuation however was very well done and believable.

After a few rewatchings I've warmed to the relationship, but I think that's from liking both characters a lot more than initially.

I came across a vid the other day which was Jadzia/Kira and it was rather heart warming. Not a pairing I'd ever thought about before but watching it I'm thinking, wow now these two have chemistry. A lot more chemistry in the friendship than Kira had with her Bajoran lovers.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uECZ03Jkpgs[/yt]

11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually thought his relationship with Lwaxana was chugging along nicely. I could have lived with a lot more scenes between those two - although I'm not sure that a sex scene should EVER have been among them...

12. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice video. I never realised how much chemistry the two of them had. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it.

13. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

Uhm, I'm a secretary, not a philosopher. :p

I agree, they were great together.

Thanks! My two favourite Trek Ladies.

14. DAYoung

[​IMG]

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree, now that was a relationship that was very believable from both sides! Lwaxana is really moved by Odo's plight and challenges and she does so love to be the source of succor. I thought it was very lovely and if we had gotten Lwaxana as a regular guest star I would have been ecstatic.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Because she thought she could handle one or two jumps to new hosts, but enough was enough. It was not an anti-lesbian scene.

17. DAYoung

Now that's something I'd missed. I'll watch DS9 differently from now on.

18. BillJ

It's all up to personal interpretation. But it's not sadness in Crusher's voice... it's disappointment.

You pair that up with Trek's long running lack of gay people and...

Well you're part of the education system and know deep down that 2+2=4.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

So "it's all up to personal interpretation", but you've interpreted for me?

According to interviews and convention appearances, your interpretation is not the way Gates McFadden interpreted her script, nor is it the way she played the scene.

20. BillJ

The way it comes off on-screen is as disappointment. But McFadden was a pretty lousy actress...