The Next Generation on DVD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Cheapjack, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

TNG was shot on film, but edited on video, right?

Howcome the DVD set have video as their source? You can see the pixels when you zoom in. Have they lost the film masters? If they have a video source, why has 'Encounter' faded so much?

2. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

As you've said, the show was filmed, but editing -- and most if not all visual effects -- were done on professional-grade video, which has lower resolution than DVDs are capable of displaying.

As for why the DVDs weren't mastered from the original film source, it would have been very expensive to do. The entire episode would have to be reassembled from film, using the videotaped final version as a guide -- and for any shot containing visual effects, the shot would have to be either taken from the videotape -- with an obvious drop in quality -- or completely recreated -- which at the time would have been very expensive.

Given what's being done with "TOS-R," however, it's possible that TNG might receive similar treatment, although I suspect that its per-episode cost will be much higher.

3. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The effects shots were done on video, so, if they were to use the film as their source, there would be no effects shots. They would have had to redo every single shot using special effects, much like they're doing for the original series.

I'm not sure how cost effective that would have been/be.

Edited because I was beaten to the punch. :)

4. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

If CBS is serious about "future-proofing" Trek, they will surely get around to doing TNG. The possibilities for an alternative high definition version, possibly allowing for 16:9 presentation with the extra material in the film stock, are quite exciting.

5. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Ooh, that would be nice. Too bad I'm already getting all seven seasons on DVD... Dad might like a high def version, though.

6. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Ditto that. Finally got an HDTV recently and all of my 4:3 DVD stuff looks terrible on it. This is mainly because my upscaling DVD player can only do 4:3 upscaling in "stretch" mode, but I digress. :vulcan:

7. K-Star

K-Star Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, same goes for my dad's Xbox 360. When I played my season 4 and 5 DVD's in it (couldn't find the regular DVD remote and my DVD player's broken so I had to use the 360) it was all stretched.

8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because HD is inherently 16:9 - the TOS remastered are pillarboxed in a 16:9 frame.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Considering the love, and care, they're giving "TOS-R" I wouldn't be all that against a similar treatment to TNG.

But it would be pretty expensive to do that AND have to re-edit the episodes' live action stuff. Maybe they could make up for it with more expensive DVD sets?

10. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Expensive upscaling DVD players will pillarbox 4:3 content automatically while at the same time upscaling it. My little Phillips 5960, which is a stellar player in most other respects, does not have this feature.