Speculations on Star Trek 3?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by starsuperion, Jun 2, 2014.

1. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

So, what is next for the Abrams Trek universe? After the events of Into Darkness, what is the next popular classic retelling we could expect to see? A more malevolent Telosian story, it's the five year mission into space, so we have to expect alien contact other then what we have seen..or are we again returning to earth? Could there be another, Mirror Mirror on the horizon? A human empire vs federation dichotomy?

A corbomite maneuver style episode?

So many choices to work with...

2. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Well, with the 'slate wiped clean' I expect a new alien race, or maybe a familiar alien race (not Klingons!) like the Andorians or another race that involves the Enterprise crew.

There will be action mixed with drama, due to a strong script that brings in many new Star Trek fans. And, will probably go down as one of the best sci-fi pictures of all time.

Kirk will mature, Spock will mature, Uhura will be relevant and tough outside her relationship with Spock, Sulu has his time to shine, McCoy has his time to shine. So, does Scotty and Chekov.

And, then....I woke up.:p

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

As long as it is entertaining, I'm all in.

4. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Temporal vandals from all across the timeline have come together to paint graffiti over the entire length of the Great Wall of China in one day in the middle of the 16th century. The Enterprise has been mobilised as part of an intertemporal effort organised by Section 31 and DTI to clean the wall before the Europeans show up there a day later. Hiding in the bushes from the oblivious European explorers, with the Enterprise hidden behind the treetops, Kirk and friends find themselves in an unexpected company...

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingons and lots of them.

6. BillJ

I'm watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture right now on HDNet Movies. While I would love another Trek movie in that vein, I'm simply not sure in would sell in the current entertainment environment.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  7. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

Well, Maybe if they worked on something that brought back that exploratory feel? I mean, the essence of Trek was exploration, and the understanding of other cultures, as well as a good yarn into action and drama.. I would like to see them come back with a Movie based on the events of Balance of Terror.. Bigotry against spock due to the Romulans sharing an ancestry, cloaking device, a worthy adversary.. or why go to just that, when you could always tap into the Enterprise series, and get something there with the sphere builders, and the suluban, or if not, then how about a plot centered around journey to babel.. when it was never really revealed who that enemy was during that episode.. and they could link it all together?

8. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

I expect another popcorn action flick that resembles something from Michael Bay.`

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Slate wiped clean? I guess I'll have to get Into Darkness now, just to understand that.

I'd rather they not recycle an old episode concept or any allusions to one, and come up with something more original.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg (reimagined with CG machinery replacing body parts instead of the Uncle Fester makeup and rubber costumes we're used to) are heading to Earth, via Klingon space. An epic ongoing battle is going on between Borg and the Klingons, entire worlds are falling and being assimilated and the Enterprise is sent in in a desperate attempt to stop the Borg before they reach the Federation.

That, or the exploration story featuring something like the garden of eden and a very difficult choice which J.D. Payne and Bob Orci have been talking about.

11. BillJ

For everyone that jumps on the Abrams movies for goofs and plot holes. The Motion Picture has quite a few as well.

*Scott giving Kirk the VIP tour of the Enterprise exterior when his launch window had just been tightened.

*Kirk (and apparently Chekov) not knowing that the phasers have been channeled through the warp drive. Seems like a design change that the Chief of Starfleet Operations should know about the frontline vessels of Starfleet.

*Ilia destroyed by V'ger then sent back to the Enterprise as a robot in a super skimpy outfit, complete with stripper heels.

Add to that Decker comes off as a complete moron for most of the movie, the Abrams movies come off looking even better in the absurdities department.

Still, The Motion Picture is my favorite Star Trek movie.

12. Joel_Kirk

But, the transporters weren't working. They had to go by pod.

Decker did tell Kirk the Enterprise was an entirely different vessel, and the Admiral didn't know a 'tenth' of the ship.

The perfect alien attack. Put a lovely (and leggy) Deltan who resembles a lovely, bald, human female - South Asian woman - in a sexy outfit to immobilize the males aboard. Unfortunately, it didn't work since there are also females on board (not counting the bisexual or lesbian females)....and not all males go for females....and the Illia clone still had memories of Decker which caused her fall back in love with him.

Decker was pushed to the side and became useless. (We, the audience, can understand the character's anger throughout the movie since the ship was initially under his command). I wonder how things would have worked out if it was he, not Kirk, who handled the V'ger situation.

It's on Netflix, and I was about to watch it a few days back...but, alas, it wasn't the Director's Cut.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  13. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still think they'll go with the Klingon War thing started in STID. The setup was there, all they have to do is flesh it out.

Hostilities arise on the border, and the E is sent to intervene. Young Kirk, with his experience and newfound wisdom gained through loss and introspection, settles the conflict with cunning and wit.

Spock, after tiring of flying off the handle at every opportunity, ends his relationship with Uhura and becomes the more stoic character we expect.

Scotty throws Keenser out an airlock, reducing his stress level and propensity for outbursts.

Sulu finds a hobby in the botanical gardens.

Chekov finally is old enough to buy vodka from the ships stores, and spends his spare time telling stories about ancient Russia's technological advancements, including a little old man from St. Petersburg who inwented the light bulb.

McCoy tries to curb his tendency for metaphor, and starts to hang out on the bridge for no apparent reason. He is unsuccessful, but it is a gallant effort.

Uhura will reluctantly give up her pursuit of Spock, and relegate herself to "answering the phone." She will also forget how to speak Klingon.

And that will finally be the perfect NuTrek movie, a grand sendoff to this cast. Ready for the next reboot. ;)

14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:eek::eek::eek:

Even if totally facetious (and I sincerely hope so), no. Just...no.

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Enterprise would have been destroyed. Decker wanted to raise shields approaching the cloud, but Kirk overruled because it might have been seen as a provocative move.

He later lets his emotions interfere with reason when Ilia is killed. When the mechanical Ilia appears, he gets all goo-goo eyed over her and has to be snapped out of it by McCoy.

So if Kirk and McCoy hadn't been there, the film would have ended without the true nature of V'Ger being discovered. Odds are Spock wouldn't have been there either.

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Long, long time ago
    When the galaxy was still new

17. Joel_Kirk

Good points.

18. Mojomoe

Mojomoe Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I'd always taken it that Decker's recommendation of "defensive posture" and Kirk's counter with a more cautious strategy was the indication of what would have happened to the Decker-prise.

It also - on my billion rewatches of that movie - always seems to be the reversal point of the narrative between Kirk and Decker. Kirk had endangered the ship with his lack of knowledge and patience during the torpedo incident; here was our old Kirk back finally, and contributing his skill for the first time since his return. Decker is smart, but this showed his inexperience "out there."

Of course, I read into things.

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

I thought this was a JJ Trek thread. Does it have to turn into just picking apart ST:TMP?

20. BillJ

Why not? I've seen the Abrams films picked apart in the most unlikely places on this board. I think Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a great film (my personal favorite), but it has its flaws.