Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by foxmulder710, Aug 15, 2009.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for a number of years, I do know what you mean, but that comment was given as a response to this one:

Regardless of what other languages you might hear when you're getting around there, the "Australian language" is still predominantly English. (I could see hiring a consultant for words and terms which are peculiarly Australian and not used elsewhere. Didn't notice any of those turning up in the movie, though, so it's probably a moot point.)

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The dialog between Spock and (Saavik ?) in the torpedo room near the begining of TWOK could of been romulan, the tones seem different than the spoken vulcan we've hearn at various times. Vulcan being the harsher, and Romulan the softer of the two languages.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  3. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

And the fact that Bana spoke like a Yank, although he's an alien and that was, like, totally unnecessary. :rolleyes: Never mind though. Hey, I finally can tell the difference between Americans and Canadians. Go me. :p

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'll notice that in both cases - this scene, and the Kolinahr bit from TMP - the actors are actually speaking English. James Doohan invented Vulcan words that matched the actors' lip movements.

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Exactly. I think he had snapped, and so reality and his goals were all twisted up together. In other words, and to quote the inimitable Barney Fife, "He's a nut!"

J.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow... :rolleyes: this is... wow. :rolleyes:

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't understand the need for eyerolling in what's essentially a fine point. By Australian, did you mean native aborigine? By Australian, did you mean just a few slang words that only Aussies use in English?

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I need to requote myself. I couldn't have expected any of you to take it so literally and seriously. Wow.

9. M'Sharak

With the exception of the new winking smiley which was not part of your original post, that was already quoted in my post to which you responded above. Your question about use of Romulan language in the movie, at least, was also answered by one or more persons upthread.

As far as taking your earlier post seriously goes, you frequently tend to come across as very serious and sometimes even angry. Did it occur to you that others might not have expected you to be making a joke and therefore failed to recognize it as such?

10. Yug

Yug Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^^ can you please try to stay on topic? ;)

11. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There needs to be some sort of QI alarm that goes off whenever someone uses that quote in regards to alien accents.

12. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could I add "dismissive" to the list?

Okay, I'm done :)

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nero's ARMS AND LEGS get STRAPPED IN TIGHT. Go WIDE to reveal he's pinned to an interrogation table -- three GUARDS. A KLINGON INTERROGATOR approaches; looms over Nero, studying the Romulan's face with clinical detachment...

KLINGON INTERROGATOR
    (SUBTITLED KLINGON)
    I have come far to meet you. "The One
    Who Does Not Speak." Ten years is a long
    time to maintain silence.
    (beat)
    Perhaps you simply do not speak Klingon,
    just as I do not speak Romulan.
    But I assume we both speak the language
    of our common enemy.

(NOTE: FROM NOW ON, OUR NON-ENGLISH SPEAKERS WILL SPEAK ENGLISH, UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.) He reveals a worn LEATHER JOURNAL. Opens it, flips through it almost casually... we see SKETCHES of the JELLYFISH SHIP, PAGES OF COMPLICATED MATH EQUATIONS...

KLINGON INTERROGATOR (CONT’D)
    We found this book in your cell.
    Cartography, mathematics-- what do these
    mean? This date here -- eleven years
    from now-- what happens then?
    (holds up the
    FLUORESCENT MAPS)
    And why attempt to smuggle in maps of
    Federation space?

14. marcus.t

marcus.t Ensign Newbie

nero was out of control with his temper,that's why he repeated himself,and as for the accent it works well to have a southern sound as he was a drill worker type guy.
    Also I'm sick of well spoken clear voiced etonian english bad guy voices-it's so passe!

15. Admiral Buzzkill

All the best villains have British accents - any American can tell you that. :lol:

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Is that an actual script excerpt?

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah. The truth is out there.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

How did you get it?

19. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Perhaps this notion at last explains the single terrible performance I've seen from John Lithgow, with this godawful overennunciated British (the kind you'd expect from a Costner) in CLIFFHANGER.

20. M'Sharak

Confirmed. That's in there.