FLASH series being developed for The CW

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The CW’s The Flash Will No Longer Be Introduced on ARROW; Traditional Pilot Moving Forward Instead
    Looks like the CW is quite impressed with what they have seen.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then why frakk it up like this?

A stand alone pilot might be a better introduction, but it sidesteps the Arrow audience as automatic initiates.

Because I'm mental, this is what would rock my world... Parallel stories.

Have the Flash pilot and the Arrow episodes filmed on top of each other so that the backs of heads are in some episodes that has the fronts of the same heads and vice versus... You know like in Back to the Future 2.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

We're still getting two episodes with Barry Allen in it. If Arrow fans like what they see I'm sure they'll tune in.

4. Savage Dragon

Sorry for the double post but I just had a thought. It will be criminal if they don't use John Wesley Shipp in some capacity in this new series. My preference would be to see him turn up as Jay Garrick. Judging from recent photos of him he would totally fit the part.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I always love it when movies/shows do stuff like that.

6. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I detest when they do that. Leave the Donner Superman alone. Leave Bixby alone. Leave them behind and do something better.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

And The Originals did this so well.

8. Savage Dragon

What's wrong with having an actor who once played The Flash turn up in a different role? It's a nice nod to what's gone before. Smallville did it with quite a few actors who had appeared in various incarnations of Superman.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Donner Superman did it with Kirk Alyn and Noel Neil playing Lois Lane's parents.

10. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It might be a bit different here, though. The Bixby Hulk show, and Donner Superman ingrained themselves into the popular culture. Even among nerds there are a lot of people unaware there was a Flash TV show on in the early 90s. Casting Shipp in a minor role will mean nothing to anyone but the most die-hard fans.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Shipp did voice Professor Zoom in an episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold...

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Exactly -- so then what would be the harm? The whole point of an Easter egg is that it'll play like a normal part of the story to those who aren't in on the joke. Remember, the movie The Incredible Hulk not only included the obvious cameo of Lou Ferrigno as a security guard (and the Hulk's voice), but the much more obscure cameo of Paul Soles, who played the Hulk in the '60s cartoon, as a diner owner. Most people didn't even notice.

13. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a nice nod to the series. Dean Cain and Christopher Reeve both appeared on Smallville in different roles. Buster Crabbe back in the seventies appeared on Buck Rogers. Richard Hatch appeared on NuBSG.

14. Savage Dragon

Yup. I love all those little Easter eggs. They even had Helen Slater playing Lara on Smallville.

15. Guy Gardener

And she was still hotter than her Barbie doll replacement.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They also kind of had a Bill Bixby cameo. When Banner is in Rio there is a TV with The Courtship of Eddie's Father, which starred Bill Bixby, on it.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Plus Joe Harnell's "Lonely Man" theme is quoted in the music once or twice.

I still find it amusing -- so many fans cry bloody murder when any adaptation dares to diverge from the source, but the Bixby Hulk series was perhaps the least authentic superhero adaptation in history (except maybe Halle Berry's Catwoman), and yet it's the most beloved Hulk adaptation out there, at least prior to The Avengers.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Many people grew up on the Hulk show that it has become very definitive for them. When they made Ang Lee's Hulk, the movie makers pretty much ignored the show and fans were pissed. We got a more closer to show origin version with TIH, which I think had more more positive reactions.

I'm still surprised both Hulk movies have ignored Rick Jones when the character played an important part in the original comic Hulk's origins.

19. Guy Gardener

He was also there in Avengers #1 and briefly wore a Bucky costume. :)

20. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I obviously was too young to grow up with it, and the Hulk TV show is just extremely annoying to me. Even forgetting weird things like the idiotic name change (David Banner? Really?) it was just stupid, even for shows of the era. I've heard that the person/people in charge hated the comic, and even wanted Hulk to be red. That just makes me wonder why they even bothered getting the rights to the Marvel character. I'd say its not quite as unfaithful as Catwoman, but I honestly think its one of the worst superhero TV shows that lasted any length of time, atleast with heroes from one of the big companies.