so THATS why some of the cast didn't like Diana Muldaur

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Borjis, Oct 15, 2012.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

wow, what a bitchy, immature swipe at another actress.

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I do have to admit I didn't like Diana's character on the show. I don't know why the producers had her behaving like a jerk. One specific issue for me was disrespect toward Data (mispronouncing his name even after he corrects her really irked me). He was an officer and he should have been treated accordingly.

Anyway, I do agree that Crusher didn't have much of a personality. Which is probably why Marina liked Gates. They and their characters had a lot in common.

3. sonak

she wasn't supposed to be a "jerk," she was supposed to be like Dr. McCoy to Spock.

4. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I just assumed that it was because she came over as unsympathetic, harsh and grating. That's why I didn't like her...

5. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I wonder if the TNG producers were going for a more "Spock/McCoy" feel with Pulaski and Data--and if that was the case, they forgot one important thing: Spock wasn't an innocent; he often gave as good as he got with McCoy.

Seeing Pulaski verbally pick on the child-like Data was about as fun as watching somebody kick a puppy. You're right not to blame Muldaur, since she was just following what was written for her.

Sean

6. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Well she came off as a jerk to me, at least in the beginning. She did grow on me, as opposed to McFadden, who [​IMG].

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Mighty professional of the TNG actors to another actor like shit because she replaced a friend.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the TOS actors would never slag each other off.

9. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

But that didn't really last beyond...what, her first three episodes? I'd agree that during The Child and Where Silence Has Lease, she doesn't treat him all that well, but in Elementary Dear Data her criticism of him is kind of justifiable. After that I remember more Pulaski/Data moments where she was being nice to him than being disrespectful. Moments such as

- Attending his farewell party in Measure of a Man.
    - Grateful for his support as she deteriorates during Unnatural Selection.
    - Cheering him on Peak Performance.
    - Being the only person to tell him that he did the right thing in Pen Pals.

10. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would appear first impressions go a long way. And she didn't seem to recover for many people.

11. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

That is true in more respects than one. I was not a fan of Muldaur when she was in TOS and it just carried over into TNG for me. I am sure she is perfectly nice, but she just didn't work for me. I preferred McFadden, although I do wish the writers would have given her more to work with.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

First impressions are the most important.

I think many fans disliked her the moment she came aboard and didn't meet the Captain like protocol demanded, and instead made him come to see her in Ten Forward. Not a good way to start things off.

13. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

For me she was just a poorly-written character. They didn't know what to do with her at all. I think they wanted her to be this foil for Picard, but it never really seemed to flow from her character at all, it just seemed to be like "What's Picard want to do this week? OK, I guess Pulaski's against that, or whatever."

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Guess I'm in the minority, I actually liked Pulaski.

15. BillJ

Which has exactly what to do with the topic at hand?

16. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

THIS from a previous post.

So, I just got back from the TNG reunion at Toronto Comicon today and something interesting happened. Marina Sirtis made a quick swipe at Diana Muldaur she was talking about her friendship with Gates McFadden and said 'I was so happy when Gates came back in the third season! It was so nice to have an actor who didn't need her lines tapped up all over the set...not that I'm naming names"

17. BillJ

I'm just confused what TOS has to do with what was going on during season two of TNG, which was filmed eighteen years later. :shrug:

18. sonak

I also don't think that the casts' situation can be compared. TNG was an ensemble show, while TOS was clearly not.

19. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I do too. There are loads of us!

Wow! Who could possibly believe Marina Sirtis of all people would be unprofessional and be rude and snarky to somebody/something else from Star Trek? She of constant "Deep Sleep Nine" comments...

Seriously, Sirtis is so unprofessional. She plays up to the fans and spouts some pretty unpleasant stuff at times. At least Muldaur had the professionalism - despite people like Sirtis - to be relatively nice about her time on Trek through various interviews across the years.

20. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

lol! Deep Sleep Nine :guffaw: I wish I was there for that one