The Underwear Conundrum

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I have mentioned previously that I tend to have problems with shrinking underwear, mostly briefs and boxer briefs. I easily spend hundreds of dollars every year replacing my shrunken Hanes and Jockey undies, and I've stayed well within size Medium (32 - 34 range). It's not that I've put on weight; heck, even when I get the next bigger size, I find that the briefs get tighter around the waist after a few washes.

Alas, I believe I've solved the conundrum! It's not the underwear that's getting tighter; it's the freakin' waistband. :klingon: Lately I've been going to Macy's and buying a bunch of 2(x)ist briefs, trunks, and boxer briefs, which are not cheap by the way. I've found them to be much more comfortable and shrink-resistant.

So here's a question for the guys, or ladies who shop for their men. What brand of underwear would you recommend that has a comfort-flex waistband? Even higher-end brands like Calvin Klein don't necessarily give me comfort and support. It would be a plus to get something economical too and resistant to shrinking. What say you?

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just go commando.

FREE YOURSELF.

3. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do. :D

4. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

Which is why you are no longer welcome at Sea World.

5. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

If it's only the elastic giving you trouble, why not make a few strategic cuts to those bands? That should ease tension considerably.

6. Bigjoe

Bigjoe Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sound like you washing them on too high a temperature if they keep shrinking.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"The Underwear Conundrum"...that's a Robert Ludlum novel I don't wanna read.

Or in that case, "See World".

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

You might consider purchasing some silk knit underwear, the up front cost is more, but they last a lot longer.

And wash them in the sink (or a bucket) with cold water and some woolite.

Regular detergent (owing to their thin material) is murder on underwear.

:)

10. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Agreed. It's not the underwear that's the issue. It's your washing fu that needs work.

11. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Unfortunately, my recommendation was going to be Calvin Klein. Their wastbands have the best stretch. Perhaps you just need to try out a few more types of Calvin Klein underwear... They have a number of different silhouettes, according to their website.

12. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

OK, thanks for the feedback. I'll shop around and also consider lowering the temperature.

13. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

14. Gaseous Anomaly

Gaseous Anomaly Bonzo Admiral

And you shouldn't dry them in the dryer as that causes shrinkage.

15. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The Calvin Klein flexible fit briefs and flexible fit boxer brief don't appear to shrink in the dryer either, imo (at least, not enough to be noticeable). It seems to be a very versatile type of band material.

16. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Woolite, for all your delicates. :lol:

It's elastic. It doesn't shrink, it stretches out and loses it's elasticity.

When I was growing up, there was either boxers or tighty-whiteys. No one complained about their underwear, or even cared what it was. I have 10 year old Hanes and Fruit of the Looms that are still perfectly wearable.

Patrick Warburton's character on Rules of Engagement said, "When I play softball I wear tighty-whiteys. When I run in boxers it feels like they're shooting dice down there." Or something like that.

It's not the skivvies, it's you. So suck it up, sailor. Being uncomfortable is part of manhood. It's a rite of passage.

17. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

My dad seems to have good luck with your average Hanes. The white kind that goes in a hot wash and low tumble dry.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I get Hanes boxer briefs. Never had a problem.

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't wash underwear in hot water. It's totally unnecessary. There are detergents that will work fine in warm or cold water to get underwear clean.

Don't run underwear in a drier on HIGH. That seriously shortens their lifespan, shrinks the heck out of them and blasts the cotton fibers to leave the material thin (and your lint screen rather thick).

For my good quality cotton t-shirts and underwear, I run them in the drier on medium, and also take them out a little early if they're mostly dry. Better to let the slight dampness dry naturally. Another trick is to run the spin cycle one more time, letting centrifugal force help wring out a little more moisture. Also, with any expensive t-shirts or underwear that you've bought (once in a while it's nice to treat yourself to top quality materials), run them in the drier for about 15 minutes then take them out to hang dry.

Using these methods, I have underwear that has been able to last nearly 10 years before showing holes. I have a couple of t-shirts that have survived even longer. :)

As for brands, I prefer Calvin Klein (they use very good quality cotton) and 2(x)ist. I usually buy 3-packs, but sometimes select solo pieces when on sale. Also, there are some cotton/lycra blends now that make for a great fit and excellent comfort, without binding. Sometimes you can find great deals at TJMaxx.

20. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with Gary7, it is the DRYER set too HIGH that causes shrinkage, as much as, washing in hot water.

I took Michael Jordan's advice and tried Hanes ComfortFit boxers. The waistband is covered with material, so the waistband does not come in direct contact your body. This may help your situation. :techman: