"Fast and Furious 6" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, May 19, 2013.

?

Rate Fast and Furious 6

1. Excellent

66.7%
  2. Above Average

22.2%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

11.1%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

New movie released in the most unlikely action franchise ever. How many action sequences can they have that defy the laws of physics and gravity without turning it into a fantasy? I admit these movies have been a guilty pleasure of mine over the years, but Fast Five was actually quite good. This will be the final Fast movie directed by Justin Lin, who single handily brought this franchise back from the brink of death. I will miss him, the man knows how to shoot great action scenes!

Early reviews have been positive

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Was awesome.

Evertything from Vin Deisels character slamming into teh side of teh bridge in his car so he could jump across the gap to catch Letty as she got thrown from a flipping over tank to the set piece where they bring down the areoplan on what must have been the longest run way ever built.

Awesome film, certain to get another sequel, will be so theret o see it!

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen any of these movies, so now's my chance to catch up. This will be my viewing order...

The Fast and the Furious
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Los Bandoleros
    Fast & Furious
    Fast Five
    Fast & Furious 6
    The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

:p

"Furious Six" does sound better, and it looks like they almost did call it that. I think some of the early promotional material listed it as such before the official title came out.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It is so weird that Tokyo Drift will FOREVER be the last film chronically in the franchise. I wonder when Han will final get to Tokyo? I'm assuming NEVER at this point as long as they want to keep using him! :lol:

5. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

One more thing...

Han gets run off the road in Japan and dies. Jason Statham calls up Dom "you dont know me. But you will".

The guy next to me whooped in delight!

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

There is a post credits scene?

I guess I will have to stay through the credits since I want to see it.

7. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

^It's after the initial credits but before the long rolling credits.

8. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That scene did seem to be appreciated in the screening I was in too:)

9. Eduardo

Eduardo Captain Captain

There is a small, four minutes or so, short film between the first and second two movies, it should be in both the dvds and blurays of both movies.

10. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I believe I've seen all of these movies and will probably watch 6 on DVD when I redeploy.

I did got see Fast Five in the theaters when it came out and while I enjoyed it for its action I honestly felt like I was watching a live action Call of Duty movie and not a F&F movie. It was still entertaining, but that was just the feeling I got.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

12. Agent Richard07

The Evil Dead doesn't have to eat his hat afterall. The title sequence read "Furious 6". Maybe the promotional material has "Fast & Furious 6" so that people know it's part of the "Fast" series.

Anyway, I watched all the movies over the last four days. I'll post my review tomorrow.

13. Agent Richard07

Here's my review in viewing order…

The Fast and the Furious: It makes street racing and L.A. at night look cool and sexy, but I wasn't overly impressed. 12 years of hype contributed to this, I'll admit. It did pick up and get more of my attention part way through though, once a big reveal concerning one of the characters was made.

Turbo-Charged Prelude: Thanks for the heads up Eduardo, but I didn't forget about this one. It's the 6-minute short film that bridged the gap between the first and second movie. It glosses over one character's move to Miami, where the second movie is set. For a short, it was surprisingly well done. It told the story it needed to and did so without dialog.

2 Fast 2 Furious: I didn't expect much from this and got what I expected… A watered down sequel with just Paul Walker from the first movie and a direct-to-video quality. Couldn't even follow the story because it couldn't hold my attention.

Los Bandoleros: I skipped Tokyo Drift because I wanted to watch everything in chronological order and went straight for this 20-minute short instead. It was directed by Vin Diesel and serves as a prelude to Fast & Furious. It was a bit jarring to see this because it brings us back to characters who appeared in the first film, but not the second, namely Vin Diesel's and Michelle Rodriguez' characters. It was also shot with an artsy independent film feel and a lot of the dialog was in spanish with english subtitles. It wasn't great, but I loved Diesel's effort.

Fast & Furious: This is the 4th movie in the series and it's a return to form. They're lucky that it got this far so that it can do just that. I enjoyed this movie. It felt like a real sequel to the first because the original cast is back and their interpersonal conflicts pick up from where they left off. This one also ends on a pretty good hook.

Fast Five: Fortunately I didn't have to wait two years to pick up on where the last movie left off. I jumped right into this one and I have to say that I loved it. Bigger budget, bigger action, it was shot in an exotic locale (Rio), everyone was back and we got some new and interesting faces added to the mix. And above all, it had a pretty decent story with an emphasis on family and loyalty. I should also mention that this was basically Ocean's Eleven with the Fast & Furious characters. What a ride! Pun intended. At this point, I didn't want the franchise to end, so I was happy that I had at least two more installments on the way with one just two days after this viewing.

Most memorable moment…

Gisele: I thought you wanted to go to Tokyo.
    Han: We'll get there.

A reference of course to Tokyo Drift, where Han was killed off. I was spoiled on this little fact before I started watching these movies, so I was able to appreciate the significance of that exchange.

Furious 6: It didn't blow me away they way Fast Five did, but it was great to see the trend left by that movie continue (big budget, lots of action, exotic locale, everyone back, family & loyality, etc). If Fast Five was an adaption of Ocean's Eleven, I'd say that this one was a take on The A-Team. "Dominic Toretto, sent to prison for a crime he did commit, escaped to parts unknown and survives on stollen wealth. If you have a problem, and no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Toretto and his crew." The series has pretty much evolved from street racing to that. We got car chases, but they felt shoehorned in because the series is supposed to be about cars. And honestly, I'm fine with that. Also, as mentioned above, there's a hook at the end, just after the credits start to roll and it's a good one.

It brings us right up to the events in Tokyo Drift.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift: This is the third movie in the series but chronologically, it fits here, so I watched it last. This one had an entirely new cast when it came out, but since I watched it last, I got one character (Han) to connect it to the rest of the series because that character appears in the three films and one short film that came out after this one. How well does it fit as the 6th movie? It fits well, but it's also a bit jarring to see how our one connecting character behaves if you have it in mind as a followup to Furious 6. It's not a big deal though. As for the movie itself, it wasn't well received, but I liked it. A high school kid who likes racing and getting into trouble is sent to Tokyo to live with his father, and of course, he gets into something called drifting, which he has to learn from Han, and a lot of trouble with a dangerous rival. It was pretty much The Karate Kid with drifting instead of karate. Like 2 Fast 2 Furious, it felt like the series was being given that direct-to-video treatment with it's no-star cast, but the story was clear and Tokyo at night was an incredible sight. It was pretty much a character itself and elevated the movie quite a bit. The lead character played by Lucas Black never appeared in any of the other movies, but it would be nice if he were included at some point. The series has done well at bringing people back, so I hope it can happen. If you watch the movie, you'll see how he can be worked in.

In conclusion… I enjoyed the ride and found myself watching more for the characters than the action. The Fast & Furious series is one of the few that has gotten better with later installments and I hope the trend continues. I also hope that they don't mess it up, especially with the 7th is being rushed out for a 2014 release.

14. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just saw Fast 6. I enjoyed it a lot. I think Fast Five remains my favorite but Fast 6 delivers on the action and almost everyone gets a moment or two.

I suggest you stay after the film ends. There's a teaser right before the credits.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I just saw the movie. Loved it. Excellent.

I like the opening credits scene, which showed clips from all the movies.

All main characters were great as always. Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson, and especially Michelle Rodriguez brought their A games. All the characters from Fast Five returned, I always thought Fast Five was the Avengers of the franchise that they brought everyone together, and they did a great job developing them in this. Dom and Hobbs were excellent at bringing the badass into all their scenes. One of the things I really love about this franchise is how funny it is, Roman stole the show with his one liners. The only negatives I will say is that the main bad guy is pretty forgettable. Also I wish that Jordana Brewster had gotten more to do, instead of just playing mom.

This movie really topped the fifth movie in terms of action. The one incredible sequence with the tank that played in the trailers rocked, and was the highlight. The climax with the plane was so intense. I liked that the ending wasn't completely happy. Justin Lin is a master at shooting exciting action scenes, I can actually tell what was going on in all of them unlike in the Michael Bay films.

There stinger shown right before the credits was great, and nice setup for the next movie. The audience I was with cheered at all the action and laughed at all the jokes. They seemed to be having lots of fun.

I've seen all the Fast movies now, with the exception of the second which I will now be checking out. I hope Roman is as entertaining as he is in that movie compared to these two newest movies.

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

It was dumb and not as good as the last one but still a lot of fun. The ending got everyone talking.

I can't believe the money this franchise rakes in.

17. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

missed
    My girlfriend and I are looking foward o seeing the movie.:techman::techman:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had never heard of this before, just watched it, and what an interesting piece. Actually has me imagining a whole Fast and Furious with that vibe.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I am really looking forward to seeing this. This series has been a guilty pleasure for me as well. I'm glad to see that most people who have seen it seemed to have enjoyed it.

:techman: