The CW Renews Supernatural, Vampire Diaries, Arrow

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see arrow getting a second season. I'm really enjoying the show.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I thought this was supposed to be the last season for Supernatural.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Didn't see Supernatural comming but I'm glad about Vamps and Arrow.

5. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Supernatural's "last season" was supposed to be 3 seasons ago.

However, the CW is a triffling network that needs to keep anything that has even a modest audience. Thus Supernatural rolls on.

I suspect that like Smallville before it, Supernatural will reach season 10.

6. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gotham Central

Just because Kripke had a 5 year arc (one that he changed dramatically as time went by) doesn't mean that the show was supposed to end. THat isn't a call a creator can make.

And yes SPN will most likely make 10 years (the two leads signed contract extension to cover seasons 9 and 10 late last year). Unless somehow the CW manages to find shows that outperform it, and in large numbers, or if all of a sudden SPN drops dramatically, next season). Out of the 7 years on the CW, only Vampire Dairies has managed to out perfom SPN. Even Arrow which just 11 episodes was scoring 30% stronger then SPN has dropped to tying SPN for its last two weeks. Arrow still has good viewer numbers, but unfortunately viewers over 50 plus really have almost no impact on a shows revenue. And thats were the primary difference between SPN and Arrow has been the last month.

As for the CW, while its a joke of a network, it still plays like all other networks. Meaning it isn't going to cancel its 2nd or 3rd strongest performer just because its been around for a while.

The one exception for this is if, your show became so expensive to produce that it isn't worth it. Or if the cast no longer wishes to stay. Well the cost to produce SPN has always been on the cheaper side, and with only two cast members and very few producers from the beginning, its cost haven't gone up dramatically.

7. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just got into the show a few months ago, so I figured it would be the last too.

8. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its on record that it will go for 10 seasons.

9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

MPH

TEn years isn't an absolute sure thing. Its just very likely.If the CW manages to have success with every single new pilot next year, and if SPN slips more then usual it would very likely get axed.

Its unlikely those events (especially the first) would happen. But its nota sure thing.

What alway kills me is every year I here people say I thought it was its last season (going back to season three even, which after it was taken fully off the air for a month I could at least understand), but after that. Its ratings never had it anywhere near being in jeopardy. Getting early renewals each and every year, since season three (though that early renewal has never been so early for the CW).

10. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

supernatural hasn't been decent since season five,,,I stopped watching it last year,,,it'll end up being the case of another show continuing passed its expiration date.

vampire diaries jumped the shark last year and I haven't seen any indication that it is going to have a turnaround. The angst has just been run in the ground and the plotpoints are either not well developed or reset.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Supernatural has had it's ups and downs for a few seasons, but they introduced a new concept to the show two weeks ago that feels fresh, and many fans feel it could revitalize the show. If you liked it before, it may be a good time to try it again.

Look for the episode "As Time Goes By."

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been really enjoying Arrow and Supernatural so I'm very happy to see them continue. I'm on the fence with TVD, I really like the characters, but the current story is only kinda ok, so I'm not sure if I'll continue with it. I'm going to give to the end of the season before I decide if I'm going to continue with it. But I'm happy for the cast, crew and fans though.

13. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

yeah I read about the men of letters but I don't see it as something that is going to revitalize the show.

I just got tired of the brotherly angst every season where they keep things from each other and get all pissy and the season long arcs are formulaic and lackluster. No I'd rather remember sn when it was decent

14. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

SPN is actually better now than it's been in two seasons (arguably three; Season Five was kind of a disappointment). I figured the CW would renew it because of its relatively strong numbers, but for the first time in a while I'm actually glad it got renewed. This year's been surprisingly decent and actually feels like the story is headed someplace interesting. Jeremy Carver allegedly has a plan that will culminate at the end of SPN's tenth season, and it's looking like he'll get a chance to finish that plan.

15. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I think that they need to make Felicia Day's character a semi regular and make her one of the new Men of Letters. She really does seem to add something to the character dynamic on the show. She is the first woman to really bond with Dean in a non-romantic way and actually came across like someone he could talk to. Thats HUGE since the man does not talk to anyone.

An interesting direction might be to have Sam build a new MoL, have Dean replace Bobby as the heart of the Hunters and have Castiel really take charge in Heaven. Then have them all band together to hold back the forces of hell.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I also thought SN was on it's last season.
    Not surprised by VD, good for Arrow.

So now that those are covered.
    Did Nikita's audience pick up? I read last year it only got picked up for a third season cause the international numbers on the show were good. Did the 3rd season get any additional stateside boost in viewership? It's at that point now were a 4th season would shore up wider syndication right?

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've been watching Supernatural on Netflix, and I'm about halfway through Season 7. I can see how the show was supposed to have ended in Season 5, but I also don't think Seasons 6 and 7 are as bad as people claim. Certain things are just starting to get a little old (Sam and Dean angst, for one), and I think the first half of Season 6 was ultimately a big waste of time (a mildly entertaining waste of time, but still pretty pointless), but I'm still enjoying the stories. I will say, however, that the Leviathan arc needs to come to a close. For giant evil sea monsters that are supposedly worse than Angels AND Demons, they're actually pretty boring.

18. Enterprise is Great

Nikita's ratings are down from last season. this season started at below a million viewers but it's climbed up to about 1.5 million. They moved it back to 8 pm and that's helped it. I read the samething about the season 3 pick up. Perhaps that'll happen again.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I hope so. Nikita is one of my favorite shows, and I'd hate to see it go.

20. Enterprise is Great

Of all the shows i watch that are in danger of being canceled Nikita would hurt the most.