The Stephen King Megathread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Starbreaker, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Read Or Die or Read Or Dream?

Agent Paper or The Paper Sisters?

And I've seen the Children of the Corn remake. Pass.

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I mean... really, I hate to sound rude, but I'm tired of trying to figure out where your posts begin and end, timothy.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STEPHEN KING BOOKS AND MOVIES discussions and comments :

THERE is probably a thread I looked could'nt find it . SO I thought I would start a new thread . He has a new book coming out soon you ready for the title :

:mallory::mallory::mallory: 11/22/63 :mallory::mallory::mallory:

subject :

time traveler tries to stop the kennedy assination .

and I thought we could disscuss the dark tower books and comics and the up coming movie series .

4. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Re: STEPHEN KING BOOKS AND MOVIES discussions and comments :

To be honest, 11/22/63 sounds like the first Stephen King book I've been looking forward to be for quite a while.

5. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Borrowed Full Dark; No Stars from the library but just couldn't get into it before it had to go back. (What I did read creeped me out a bit, though.)

I have a copy of Duma Key -- one of his better works, imo -- I should re-read that next.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Uhm, timothy, you posted in the Stephen King Megathread as recently as February 5th... :confused:

7. timothy

thanks for the link . I have check all kings fictional books and only two are not aviable in e formate .

pet symmetary and christine .

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only two King books I've ever made it through were 'Cell' and 'The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon', and I enjoyed both. I've started and stopped a few others, not really because of the books themselves but because of time constraints and other things that intrude on my personal time.

I really enjoyed tv mini-series version of "The Stand," and I think it would be really cool to see something done with it with a bigger budget. I've heard good things about the comic book adaptation.

9. Starbreaker

This could be a GREAT novel. I love Ken Grimwood's interpretation of trying to change the event in Replay. I can't wait to see SK's take on it.

10. timothy

Have you ever seen the red dwarf version of the kennedy assination ? Do you think this book will be as thick and as good as under the dome ? :bolian::bolian::bolian:

:bolian::bolian:and thank you for merging my thread with this one . :bolian::bolian:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see how it could top this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1UkcPFyxiU[/yt]

12. timothy

that was great I never saw that episode . Now that I have I can'nt wait to read his new book .

ever see the movie " the final countdown " ?

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yep. I liked that too. :)

(You did watch all three parts of that TZ episode, right? ;) Didn't Andrew Robinson make a great JFK? Sadly, the episode's other star - Lane Smith - died a few years ago of ALS. :( )

14. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Finished the book a few weeks ago, and even having read your opinion first, I don't see the political spin you have proposed here.

15. Starbreaker

I never notice politics in books. It's just not something I look for.

16. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you read Duma Key or Under the Dome? Two of his more recent books, both of which were excellent. Not quite in the same tier as "The Stand", but quite worthy reads for a King fan.

Not sure how I feel about the time travel/Kennedy thing......I'm sure I'll pre-order the hard back just like I do every other King novel and I'm quite sure I'll read it, but it's not piquing my interest like Under the Dome did when I first heard about the concept.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Actually, I think Duma Key outrates The Stand by miles.

In fact, I don't understand the appeal of The Stand at all. I never got past the first couple of chapters. It bored me that much.

18. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if you didn't finish the book (or even get half-way through it) then of course you won't understand why the large majority of King's fans rate either The Stand or It as his best book. ;) I'm not saying you'd love the book if you give go back and read the whole thing........I'm just saying the first several chapters really don't indicate what kind of story the Stand eventually becomes after the first 1/3 of the book.

After all, the first several chapters are just setting the stage between the world we know and the world they have to live in and introducing you slowly to a large cast of characters......you don't actually get into the meat of the story of the Stand until you get several hundred pages into it.

I found the same to be true with Duma Key.........it really takes several hundred pages to set the stage, introduce the characters and get you ready to enjoy the last 1/2 of the book which picks up the pace considerably.

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I was lured into Duma Key because the main character was an artist (as many people here know, I'm an incessant doodler) and one of his hallucinations involves Reba MacIntyre ("It was RED!"). I couldn't the put the book down after the first pages.

You're right. After all this time and a couple mini-series on TV, I'm pretty much not gonna go back and try to slog through The Stand again. I'll just have to take other peoples' word for it and stick with the Three C's as my faves.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  20. timothy

have you read the mist ? the main character in that is also an artist . in fact if you watch the movie he painting the cover of one of the dark tower books .

also on the twilight zone episode I did watch all three parts and I liked the actor who played jack .