Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old July 10 2014, 01:36 PM   #31
ArcherNX01
Lieutenant

Re: Why did the flute people...

Does it matter that I didn't use the species name? Some would be more confused at the species name than "flute people" anyway.

Anyway a few people got a laugh out of it, I thought it was pretty funny when I typed it too.
ArcherNX01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 02:53 PM   #32
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Dukhat wrote: View Post
Anyway, my two biggest beefs with the episode is that the Kataan people are consistently portrayed with an eighteenth or nineteenth century level of technological development, and then all of a sudden, here's this probe with technology that's more advanced than the Federation's!
It's not more advanced; the Enterprise had just not encountered anything like it before. If it wasn't connected to Picard, they could have disabled it easily.

The probe was a last ditch attempt to save the memories of their people. They clearly lacked the technology to build a fleet of ships with life support systems, but apparently mind probe technology was something within their grasp. Different societies develop different branches of technology at different rates.

You could wonder why they didn't load the probe full of books, but if you wanted your society to be remembered, wouldn't it be more efficient to use a probe to snare passers by and bring them to your planet, rather than take the contents of your planet to them? Moreover, you could simply infer that memories are a more precious commodity to these people than physical trickets. They are alien, after all.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 03:34 PM   #33
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

It was that the OP could have done a one-minute Google search to find the name of the alien race
Oh please, it's no different than referring to one of the TOS episode as "the one with the salt vampire."

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2014, 07:15 PM   #34
HIjol
Fleet Captain

ArcherNX01 wrote: View Post
Does it matter that I didn't use the species name? Some would be more confused at the species name than "flute people" anyway.

Anyway a few people got a laugh out of it, I thought it was pretty funny when I typed it too.
I loved the hell out of it..."The Flute People!"...

T'Girl wrote: View Post
It was that the OP could have done a one-minute Google search to find the name of the alien race
Oh please, it's no different than referring to one of the TOS episode as "the one with the salt vampire."

...agreed!!!...or, "the one with the hungry fuzz balls"...

...what my then 5-year old daughter called it when she was watching it for the first time on my DVD collection!...
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 01:58 PM   #35
Marsden
Captain

HIjol wrote: View Post
One of my favs, also for the same reasons...but, again, I am one of "those people"...and happy to be,...

Maybe I was too harsh sounding in my previous post, it's a good little drama, and I don't think it's bad, but it's very much hyped as one of the "best" episodes and I think that the those people I was refering to were the kind that maybe only have seen a few episodes and latch on to that one, like reviews in tv guide or on a website like slate or something where I feel like they have the same type of attitude that the characters did in the first few seasons, the were better people than you attitude. I'm not explaining too well, but it's the attitude that they are eglitarian and advanced and everyone else isn't based on what they like. See how they treated the three people in "The Neutral Zone" for example.

And I still think it's cruel to use Picard that way, but maybe since they knew he would completely recover and be fine in 10 seconds they didn't mind?
Old July 11 2014, 03:21 PM   #36
Forbin
Admiral

When I see "The Flute People" I think of that damned talking flute on H.R. Puffnstuff.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 07:44 PM   #37
Leviathan
Commander

so...you want to know if Picard should have shared his experience being probed by flautists?

Probably not, although I am sure a fanfic is on the way....
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 08:06 PM   #38
Dukhat
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
It didn't particularly matter to me. I was just extrapolating what I believed Mutai meant. If I'm wrong, he can correct me.

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
It's not more advanced; the Enterprise had just not encountered anything like it before. If it wasn't connected to Picard, they could have disabled it easily.

The probe was a last ditch attempt to save the memories of their people. They clearly lacked the technology to build a fleet of ships with life support systems, but apparently mind probe technology was something within their grasp. Different societies develop different branches of technology at different rates.
That's just speculation on your part. We have no idea of exactly what the technical expertise of this race was. It's no different from the Organians, or the Ba'ku. One wouldn't be able to immediately judge their level of technology based solely on their appearance.

In this instance, we have what looks like an eighteenth century civilization, and yet they have the technology to at least build and launch rockets into deep space, and build probes with the ability to instill images into the mind of a completely alien being (Picard), and have that probe remain functional for centuries after it had been launched.
Old July 11 2014, 09:11 PM   #39
Shat Happens
Captain

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
I must say, this is a poorly conceived thread title. Take the time to determine the name of the alien species involved, or at least the name of the episode. "Flute people" is simply inadequate to the task.
Disagree. I don't have the name of the flute people in my head, but I know the episode with the flute. OTOH, if the "correct" name had been used, I'd have to do a search.

EDIT: some other people already said that.
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2014, 10:00 PM   #40
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

varek wrote: View Post
Destroy their memory bank after it transferred all the data to Picard?

More could have been learned by repeated visits by other people.

And what if he hit his head and forgot the whole thing before writing it down?
I agree, and I have often wondered why they only tried to communicate with one person. Perhaps they had hoped to contact the ship's computer or communication system, so many people could learn about them, but the captain accidentally got zapped, instead.

This episode is one of my favorites--very melancholy, but beautiful. The flute melody makes it an even more haunting memory.
Its a favourite of mine as well. Just so touching. You see, sometimes inconsistencies and unbelievable occurences on TV must be brushed under the rag...especially for the sake of a classic like "The Inner Light."
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:57 AM   #41
HIjol
Fleet Captain

Marsden wrote: View Post
HIjol wrote: View Post
One of my favs, also for the same reasons...but, again, I am one of "those people"...and happy to be,...

Maybe I was too harsh sounding in my previous post, it's a good little drama, and I don't think it's bad, but it's very much hyped as one of the "best" episodes and I think that the those people I was refering to were the kind that maybe only have seen a few episodes and latch on to that one, like reviews in tv guide or on a website like slate or something where I feel like they have the same type of attitude that the characters did in the first few seasons, the were better people than you attitude. I'm not explaining too well, but it's the attitude that they are eglitarian and advanced and everyone else isn't based on what they like. See how they treated the three people in "The Neutral Zone" for example.

And I still think it's cruel to use Picard that way, but maybe since they knew he would completely recover and be fine in 10 seconds they didn't mind?
I think I know just what you mean, and there are many times I have the same outlook...this time with this episode, I did not get past the emotional and visceral impact "Inner Light" had on me...I am a life-long Trekkie (TOS first aired when I was 9) and lean towards emotion and feeling rather than logic and dictum most times...That is what I was referring to when I said "those people" I think you did fine in your explanation, and isn't this what ST and the Forum is all about!?!?...exchange of ideas and opinions and canon and all of it!!!
"If man is to survive, he will delight in the essential differences between men and between cultures. He will learn that differences in ideas and attitudes are a part of life's exciting variety, not something to fear" Gene Roddenberry
HIjol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:31 PM   #42
Shat Happens
Captain

time to another TOS-TNG "which's better?" comparison (I love those):

Best Episode of TOS: Kirk travels thru time and saves the universe
Best Episode of TNG: Picard learns to play a little flute
Shat Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2014, 07:41 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Shat Happens wrote: View Post

Best Episode of TNG: Picard learns to play a little flute
I far prefer TOS and in no way consider "The Inner Light" the best episode of TNG. No even close. I'd rather watch "The Royale".
Old July 12 2014, 07:51 PM   #44
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It's a good episode but way way overrated. It's rather slow and not much exciting stuff happens.