Quantum Leap: what if it had been made 20 years earlier?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aquehonga, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Bellisario making ST? Sorry, no. He has very little genre experience under his belt, all tending more toward fantasy than SF (Battlestar Galactica, Tales of the Gold Monkey, QL), and the rest of his body of work is detective and lawyer shows and that dreadful Airwolf thing from the '80s. And there tends to be a religious undercurrent in his work that's very different from ST's secular humanism. In one episode of his short-lived Tales of the Gold Monkey with Stephen Collins, the lead character fell gravely ill while flying his plane, it was plummeting toward a watery death, and the leading lady prayed and the plane miraculously levelled out. Yes, the heroes were saved by actual divine intervention. And QL was constantly implying that God was directing Sam's journey.

No. I would've said so if he had been. You know, you can find these things out for yourself online at sites like Wikipedia, IMDb, and Memory Alpha for ST in particular.

2. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

Funny you should say that:D

I had Dean Spockwell as 1 of my candidates to play Sam in my Thread Initiating Post:)

If Spockwell's Sam on my '69-'73 QL, who'd be good to play Al back then?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not "Spockwell"! Stockwell! Stockwell!

And I don't think anyone would've cast Dean Stockwell as a heroic lead character in 1969. He was more a character actor, and I think he was generally cast as fairly disreputable characters.

4. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And, as far as I remember, it was a bit of a feather in Quantum Leap's cap that a 'movie character actor' like Stockwell had signed up for a TV series at the time.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Didn't you hear? You've become the official family historian of the Bennett clan? Even those not actually called Bennett! :p

6. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

I beg to differ:vulcan:

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Dean Stockwell was making something of a comeback at the time along with Blue Velvet, Bevery Hills Cop II and Dune, he had a problem an addiction for a while before that.