The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Snowlilly

Snowlilly Lieutenant Red Shirt

I so agree with you on that.......I have been thinking the same thing too.

2. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know I wouldn't last long in a ZA. Meds. Or lack thereof.

That's why everyone in zombie shows and those like Revolution look so good (overall). Anyone with chronic health issues tends to die within a year. Glasses, bad teeth (to a point), etc? Fine. Diabetes or anything requiring continuing meds? Dead.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

And with limited resources and a lack of an ability to set up a safe, long-term settlement to grow crops and the like, you better believe the people willing to kill and murder are going to be setting the trend. ''Civilized'' people aren't going to last long in such an environment.

Of all the things zombie movies get wrong, that's really not one of them.

4. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Again, Dale was the Lets Stay United / Sake of Humanity resident bleeding heart, and he knew Jacqui--she was no stranger or newbie to the Atlanta group. He focused on Andrea because he had less than honorable intentions toward her, as his post-CDC behavior would prove. That's why he was so bug-eyed pissy when he detected her relationship with Shane--his would-be liberal fantasy girl had become the wannabe gunslinger with a taste for a brutal ex-cop/hayseed.

5. TREK_GOD_1

Another good character point to expose: somehow--in the daisies and sunshine legal corners of Dale's mind--he thought it wise to hide the groups primary defense....in the middle of a global zombie outbreak. That made him a threat, as his one-sided ideologue schtick--thinking he could make decisions for everyone else--could have cost the group at any moment.

Whether it was his horny BS about the ever-disinterested Andrea, or playing the last aging hippie protester, Dale had problems.

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Well, I guess we know where you're coming from. :guffaw:

7. TREK_GOD_1

Yeah, the position of recognizing a horny old man manipulating others for his own concerns, and voting himself moral leader of the pack.

He's just a less effective version of the Governor, but if he had the numbers/loyal followers, he would fit right in a Woodbury of his own--even if he did not collect zombie heads or keep zombie daughters.

8. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow -- what judgment of a fictional character!

I'm with those defending Dale.

And regards to him just ofcusing on Andre a-- excuse me, can you tell how often people talk down TWO (or if you actually cared about the CDC guy, THREE) at the same time??? It's certainly hard to talk ONE down, but THREE? Please....

You're also confusing the Andrea & Dale of the comics, witht he TV show. TV Dale sees Amy & Andrea almost like his daughters. Now, they weren't together too long, but even a couple of days can make the difference in getting to know someone, certainly with the dozen or so in the group, and people riding in different cars and having idfferent duties.

Him talking down Andrea would be not much different than if it were Lori or Carl in Andrea's place. No one would criticize Rick for focusing on his family first.

We honestly don't know squat about Jacqui. For all we know, she joined the group 2 days before Rick first encountered Glenn. She might have also been depressed/suicidal anyway making it much harder to talk her down. Andrea, when Amy was alive, certainly had plenty of

And regarding Dale and Shane -- i believe he knows that Shane is Rick's best friend & cop partner (maybe even knowing that the friendship was from childhood). And when he saw Shane aiming a gun at Rick -- sorry, but how can you NOT consider that a red flag?! If it were Carol or Lori who saw that, they'd be just as concerned about Andrea as well.

Oh, and here's what the actress who played Jacqui had to say about her character, from the official AMC website
    So for Jacqui's case...she didn't bond with anyone in the way Dale & Andrea did.

And one last thing -- the Walking Dead Wikia summarizes Jacqui, including these things:
    and
    So Dale, and T-Dog, tried to help her...but unlike Andrea, was far more entrenched in her decision. But apparently she had no problem with Dale talking Andrea out of it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  9. TREK_GOD_1

No different than someone posting volumes of defense for a fictional character.

By the way, have you missed the kind of assessments made of Lori and Shane all over the internet throughout seasons 1 and 2? The Lori character was raked through the coals, when she had more legit excuses for her behavior while thinking Rick was dead.

No confusion here. TV Dale's intentions are not like that of a father, or even an uncle-type relationship (ex. Daryl and Carl).

I see his Shane issue with the fact she selected someone other than himself--and even if he did not see Shane aim the gun, Dale still held Shane in contempt for seeing the new world order in a way not packaged by his Neo-hippie views, which were dangerous, as there's no excuse for hiding the survivors' chief defense. It was a selfish, ideologically driven move which could have cost the lives of the entire party if a zombie attack occured at the same time.

Further, Andrea's interest in Shane/wannabe gunslinger mindset should have made it clear she's a different person than he is. She sees the world in a very black and white/do whatever is necessary view--the complete opposite of Dale. This is supported by her other morally questionable acts, such as the psychobabble "test" of the suicidal Beth, and post-Dale, the willing acceptance of post-Dale characters like the Governor, and the excuses she made about Woodbury to Michonne.

Andrea was never the fantasy ideologue conjured up in Dale's mind.

...which only makes Mr. Lets All Save Humanity even more of a hypocrite in that he--of all people--should have tried like Hell to convince a fellow human being to continue living--not just his would-be girlfriend.

10. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please answer my question -- when have you EVER heard of someone trying to convince 2 (i.e. more than 1 persona at a time) people out of suicide...especially given the time limit (like 5 minutes or less)? Your accusation is completely unrealistic, even for a fantasy show.

And again, the COMIC had Dale & Andrea be romantically involved. The TV version is different -- or do you not accept the possibility that a male can care for a female without it being sexual?

12. wissaboo

yeah, it would have been impossible for him to say "if Jaqui and Andrea stay I'm staying " instead of "if Andrea stays I'm staying"

13. RJDiogenes

Gotcha. ;)

14. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this is a bit off topic but I'm on vacation so I decided to have myself a WD marathon, I'm up to episode 3 and I'm once again baffled at why Merle is still stuck up on the roof hours, day/days after everyone left.

He is handcuffed to a 3/8" threaded rod, he could have kicked it lose from the clamp and L beam it is attached to in about 5 minutes or easily cut through it with the hacksaw in about 10 seconds even if it was stainless steel.

Second, I would think someone would pass out long and bleed to death before they finished cutting off their own hand.

Sorry, that is just something that bugged the piss out of me, I wish they would have handcuffed him to something that was a bit more believable that he would have been forced to cut off his own hand.

15. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

A suspension of disbelief is required for him not to be able to get out. Besides, why the urgency to cut off his hand as T-Dog had chain locked the door.

This is more explainable. Merle was a drug abuser - high on cocaine when they chained him - so it's conceivable that he may with pure adrenaline been able to cut his hand off and made it to that mini Kitchen where he cauterized the wound.

BTW, during the civil war and before modern anesthetics, many people remained completely conscious during leg amputations - so it is medically feasible for him to stay awake.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  16. TREK_GOD_1

Exactly--if Dale was such a caring guy, how difficult would it have been to play his hand with both instead of one. He did not, because his personal/creepy interest was not in Jacqui--to him, she was like a toy action figure to be tossed aside during playtime. He was single-minded, much like his open disregard for the safety of the group when he hid the guns while everywhere they run it is overrun by zombies.

17. RJDiogenes

This has happened in real life. It is definitely possible to cut off your own arm if your life is in peril. A farmer, for example, who got his hand caught in some sort of farm equipment and was being sucked in was able to amputate his arm and save himself.

As for the rod, they probably had to make do with what was available at the location and hope that nobody noticed.

18. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

What I don't get is why not start with the pinky or thumb? Surely The whole hand should be a last resort.

19. wissaboo

cause it's more dramatic. Can you imagine him running around this season with a big metal pinky with knife attachements? not nearly as much fun

20. RJDiogenes

I can imagine him with a big metal middle finger.