World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

There's a difference between respecting an opinion and agreeing with it, though.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One may respect the right of another to hold and express an opinion - any opinion at all - but there is no reason to respect the content of the opinion itself if it is uninformed, unduly biased, ill-reasoned or just plain stupid - among other possible defects.

3. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

This above statement right here is exactly what (part) of your problem is...in addition to it being a complete contradition.
    You have the right to respectfully disagree with any opinion ...but that's where you go wrong ..you have no respect. No matter if you agree with the content or not (that's just you opinion if you disagree) !!!!!!!! Your disrepect for others who you claim are "uninformed" which by the way THAT IS JUST YOUR OPINION LOL comes through loud and clear.
    I'm just pointing this out because we're such good friends and shit.
    Love Cakes

4. Admiral Buzzkill

It's pretty straightforward and true - there's no contradiction, and I have no problem. You?

5. Cakes488

One may respect the right of another to have and hold an opinion.... but not it's content ---- if you don't respect (not saying agree) the content then how can you respect the opinion? What exactly does opinion mean...?? Hmmmmm...

Oh and don't sic me! I'm posting in between doing a million things at work so there will be misspelling and typo's abound -- can't you let it go or are you anal about that too?

So are we hanging out tonight as usual?

6. Borgminister

All your base are belong to us!

Seriously though, I'm sure Dennis would agree that knowledgeable and sincere people can have a completely different opinion on something than he does, but not be wrong, just like he's not wrong, just has his own viewpoint.

7. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

which is right, right? or am i wrong?

8. Borgminister

I'm not even sure which way is up after what I typed there... :lol:

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Sure - but while the "sincere" doesn't have much bearing on how seriously an opinion ought to be taken, the "knowledgable" does. What a fellow who's done the things Ron Moore's done has to say about TV and film production, screenwriting, or for that matter the Trek franchise itself is not equal in any way, IMAO, to what those of us who sit out here and kibitz based on second-hand information, enthusiasm and/or our copious free time might think - I'm a lot more interested in his informed and experienced opinion, any day. And on the other extreme - well, you know what they say about suffering fools gladly...

10. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

The problem is, you and others seem to think that any opinion which doesn't agree with your own is "uninformed, unduly biased, ill-reasoned or just plain stupid", because in your mind no opinion can differ even if someone has seen the same information as you, looked at it from an analytical standpoint, thought it over reasonably and intelligently, and still disagree with you. Why is that? And if that's the case, can you really claim to be unbiased and reasonable in your own opinion since you accuse others of what you did?

11. Borgminister

I'll just come right out and say it--while I respect Moore for his work, BSG was not my cup of tea.

So his opinion on Star Trek may be "respectable", but that doesn't mean I (or any reasonable person) has to agree with it.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

That's not the point, of course.

If two people disagree, who ought I pay more attention to - the person who knows something about a subject, or the person who knows a great deal less but whose opinion pleases me more?

A great deal of stupid decisionmaking and trouble is caused in this world by the willingness to choose the latter, more comfortable way.

People are quick to exclaim "ah, but experts are often wrong!" The only good answer to which - unsatisfactory as it may be - is "yes, but not wrong as often as ignoramuses and idiots."

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

This.

14. Cakes488

Who the hell is Dennis? Is that Starship Poleuphisass that you're talking about?? LOL LOL, LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL ahhhh I'm just kidding I know good old Denny can take a hit or two...and speaking of taking a hit or two I think that will help you some Den...ya know help you relax a little and get off the high horse a bit...oh I did it again...high horse -- pun not intended, but intended now.

15. Borgminister

Not cool.

16. Cakes488

Well maybe you need to take a few hits too! Who cares what I say anyway...I'm one of the lowly "uninformed"... !

17. Admiral Buzzkill

You know, my patience with stupid opinions took a remarkable dive when I stopped doing that stuff. The synapses really do come back. ;)

18. Cakes488

I LOVE how you cherry pick what you reply to and what you don't! LOVE IT! Well since quite a bit of us ......according to you have stupid opinions, perhaps it would do you some good to puff a little before signing in...that way your tolerance level can be raised to deal with us cretins!

Also, don't believe everything you read on the internet Den...just cuz I said I smoked doesn't mean I really do -- I actually can't remember if I do so that must mean I must.

So what a bottle of red tonight or you want white like last week?

19. Captain X

Captain X Rear Admiral

As fun as bashing each other for our opinions apparently is, could we possibly get back to discussing the actual movie?

20. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I may be in the minority on this, but I liked the Uhura/Scotty thing in TFF.