Do you like the idea of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Aug 4, 2013.

?

Do you like the concept of Peter Capaldi as the 12th Doctor?

1. Yes :)

85.1%
  2. No :(

3.0%
  3. Neutral So Far :|

11.9%
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the Kinetic energy 10 and 11 had. And not all original 8 doctors were "proper" and gentlemanly like, Tom Baker (arguably the doctor who's had the most impact and probably one of the most popular doctors) was more in line with 10 & 11 then the more posh doctors. Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy weren't very gentleman like either.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It struck me that Capaldi should mix the acting chops of Eccleston with the fanboyish glee of Tennant...that could be a hell of a combination.

3. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Great, great choice. I love it. He'll be brilliant. I was bracing myself to sigh with resignation if they announced Daniel Rigby, but this is inspired. I can't wait to see him.

4. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

McCoy was the biggest deviation from the Edwardian gentleman character of the Doctor and I'll concede Tom Baker was a bit different too, but they still have much, much more in common with the rest of the classic Doctors than with Shagger and Smudger. Not sure how Colin's Doctor wasn't a gentleman. He had a pocket watch and everything.

5. Green Lantern

I'd like him to be "the dark doctor". I want him to mainly take after Christopher Eccleston, maybe with a dash of Sylvester McCoys darker side, a bit of Jon Pertwees more mature side (but not the frilly shirt kung foo side of him), and maybe a little bit of creepiness. His eyes man, they could look very creepy if Capaldi wanted them to.

6. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Very, very happy. I've seen him on and off "In the Thick of it", but his work in both Fires of Pompeii and Children of Earth was outstanding. Just from those three performances alone you can see how versatile he is, so I have absolutely no problem with him playing The Doctor. The worst part is that even though we'll get a few moments of him at Christmas, we won't really see him for almost a year.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

@Ghostbones, Colin's Doctor was too rude and abrasive to be a gentleman, for one.

8. Green Lantern

Matt Smith had a pocket watch and waist coat as well as Colin baker. Besides, Colin Baker tried to kill Peri on his first adventure, and always was a bit rude and oh yeah, he dressed like a clown, do you call that very gentlemanly. If Colin Baker was a gentleman, so was Matt Smith.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What? He's completely in the mould of the second and fourth incarnations.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think I might have been too hyped up, during Smith's first vt I was sure I heard him say the word Daniel...:wtf:

11. Green Lantern

Yeah, or at least in his first two series he was very clownish. In his third series he didn't become a gentleman, he just became slightly more mature and darker.

12. Ghost Bones

Ghost Bones Captain Captain

The Sixth Doctor was suffering from regeneration trauma when he tried to strangle Peri, and regretted it. From some people's descriptions of the Sixth Doctor, you'd think they'd only watched The Twin Dilemma (I'll save anyone the bother of saying that no one would bother watching anything beyond that because it was so bad by saying it here).

13. OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Neutral here. I'm happy they chose to go in a different direction with an older actor, but I haven't seen enough of his work to know one way or the other what he may be like in the title role.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched the special, and my first reaction, being the ignorant fan that I am, was that he looked like the Country Singer Randy Travis (Hope he's doing ok, it wasn't looking good a few weeks ago). My second thought was I like that they went with an older Doctor finally after two pretty young doctors. My third thought was I can't wait to see him in the role. I think he will do a great job and hopefully he brings some of that seriousness from Chris Eccleston back.

15. Green Lantern

He was very un-gentlemanly like through out his regeneration though. In fact, this is hat Wikipedia said about the sixth doctors personality:

The Sixth Doctor was an unpredictable and somewhat petulant egoist, whose garish, multicoloured attire reflected his volatile personality. He was both portentous and eloquent, even for the Doctor - of whom he saw himself as the finest incarnation yet – and his unpredictability was made even wilder by his mood swings, manic behaviour, bombastic outbursts and glib, unflappable wit. His personality also displayed occasionally fatalistic overtones.

The Sixth Doctor was almost supremely confident in his abilities and did not suffer fools gladly; he sometimes seemed to endure Peri's presence far more than he actually appreciated it, and his superiority complex applied to almost everyone he encountered. His intellect could support his ego; for instance, the Sixth Doctor was the only one who was able to repair and operate the Chameleon Circuit within the TARDIS, allowing it to change shape to suit its surroundings rather than looking constantly like a police box (although the appropriateness of the TARDIS's appearance to its environment was more-or-less nil) in Attack of the Cybermen. However, not only did his melodramatic arrogance and caustic wit eventually subside, it actually hid the fact that this incarnation retained the Doctor's strong moral sense and empathy, as seen in Revelation of the Daleks, in which he showed great compassion for a dying mutant; and The Trial of a Time Lord, where he displayed outrage at his own people for their part in a plot and cover-up which resulted in the death of most of the Earth's population. Underneath his blustering exterior, he was more determined than ever in his universal battles against evil, possessed of a tenacity and a thirst to do what was right that was far more visible than ever before. Despite his often unstable demeanour, he was always ready to act when necessary, and very little – even his companions – could hope to stand in his way.

His condescension towards the universe around him also extended to his companions, especially Peri. While his use of violence against his foes and his abrasive relationship with Peri were both often criticised by fans, the violence was largely in self-defence, and his relationship with Peri had mellowed significantly when the programme returned from hiatus for Season 23's The Trial of a Time Lord.

He was well known for his love of cats, and always wore one of a number of cat-shaped pins or brooches on the lapel of his patchwork coat, itself said to be the height of fashion on a distant planet.[citation needed]

The events surrounding the production of Doctor Who in the mid-1980s caused the Sixth Doctor's tenure to be cut short, and for a long time Colin Baker bore the brunt of the blame as the "unlikeable" Doctor.[citation needed]

The Sixth Doctor's return in the Big Finish Productions audio plays, voiced by Baker, the series have gone some way to move the personality of the Doctor forward thus the Sixth Doctor appearing to be a somewhat calmer, wittier and altogether happier character (attributed in-story to the influence of companion Evelyn Smythe). In a 2001 poll in Doctor Who Magazine, Baker was voted the "greatest Doctor" of the audio plays. Baker has said that he was not given enough time in the 1980s to 'unpeel the layers' of his character.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I would have cast Ben Winshaw

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure where I read it, but I think there was a long-term plan for the Sixth Doctor to start off volatile and then have him gradually become less so.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Far too similar to Smith IMO, and you're assuming he'd even want the job.

19. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Yeah, and it's about time they get out of the "young" mold.

Though, already some of my female friends are lamenting the loss of "hottie" Matt Smith replaced by "old guy" Capaldi.

How glib. **sigh**

20. Green Lantern

Yeah, I wouldn't have been surprised if thy were planning to put him in more "tame" clothe eventually.

BTW, I made this, just so we can see them all together....

[​IMG]