Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

And more generally in Star Trek, why the sparks whenever the ship gets knocked by something? Do they not have fuses or surge protectors in the 24th century?

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it's natural, after the excitement of the novelty of the first season in HD, then season two with Q Who, Elementary Dear Data and the extended Measure of a Man, and of course Yesterday's Enterprise and BoBW in the third season, there are plenty of exciting hooks.

By the time you get to the fourth season, there isn't so much of a "hook" any more. It's almost routine by now to see TNG in HD. Season four also arguably lacks a big "event" episode. It's a great season, but I wouldn't say there's a massive draw. Redemption isn't half as effective as BoBW for example. It's probably my favourite season, with episodes like The Drumhead, Remember Me, Family, Brothers, Future Imperfect, Reunion, The Wounded, The Mind's Eye and Clues... but I don't know, it just lacks the absolute highs of season 3.

The excitement will gear up again when DS9 is announced. With that series I think there will be more continued interest, because with each season the show got bigger and bigger in terms of visual effects and scope. There are potentially a lot of things that will need to be newly remade with CGI too.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are things I like about A Matter of Perspective but I have to agree with you. They call this episode A Matter of Perspective, but it seemed like all the Perspectives are widely different. For example, you had Rikers testimony where he was trying to be professional, and then you had Apgar's wife testimony saying that Riker was trying to Rape her. Let's not also forget that Rape is a pretty high charge which seemed to be dropped mid episode as well. Despite that though, I did like what they did with the holodeck for this episode. It was a creative idea that could have used more "sprucing" up.

Through this rewatch, I'm looking for episodes that really stand out and show CBS-D's mastery. Of course all the episodes (Minus Season 2) are looking awesome, but which episodes go that extra mile and blow me away. The first one was DataLore and the Crystalline Entity. I think I found my second episode, Deja Q.

This episode is much more beautiful to look at now. Whether it was the atmosphere dive of the Enterprise, or probably my favorite shot so far, meeting the Calamarane for the first time. It's shot's like that which makes this purchase worth it. That was gorgeous and so clear. It almost makes me wonder what a HD version of the Voyager episode "The Cloud" would look like since it kind of has the same idea. Also, many people consider this episode a comedy and there are some great moments, but why I love this episode is really the stuff between Data and Q. I think this was the episode that turned Q from just a villan to something greater, kind of the teacher testing the crew and kind of helping them along the way. Q in Tapestry and All Good Things was not the same Q as what we got from the first season. This episode showed that transition, other than maybe Qpid, but I liked Qpid.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, was the music in Tin Man always this big and over the top? I don't remember it being nearly this distracting before. There's a quiet, important conversation between Picard and Tam where the music is blasting at 110% for some bizarre reason.

And as exciting as the action music is, it strangely doesn't sound remotely like TNG at all either.

Just very weird. Watching this episode, I can almost understand Berman's decision to tone down the music later on.

5. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

"Tone down" is a type of direction you give someone. Firing someone is completely different.

6. davejames

Regardless, they still had composers who were capable of producing big, bombastic music. It's not like Ron Jones was the only one.

And in fact the music in this ep was from Chattaway.

7. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the music in Tin Man especially and all other music before (and after) the sonic wallpaper era.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I became burned out on Trek, I think, right after "Generations" when VOYAGER came out. "Generations" was a big yawner, I was underwhelmed with the first few episodes of VOYAGER and also getting tired of DS9. Maybe the last straw for me, what made me feel totally alienated from Trek, was the ridiculously presumptuous "Academy Award"-style ceremonial extravaganza for all things Trek which aired on UPN, likening Trek to the greatest thing since the passion of Christ or the enlightenment of the Buddha. It was just so silly. I felt embarrassed to be a fan at that point.

The older I've gotten, the more I've come to feel Star Trek was really never as good as I thought it was, not even the original. When I was a kid I thought it was the greatest thing science fiction ever produced. Then I got older and actually read some good science fiction, and Star Trek even at its best pales in comparison. I still watch the original or TNG once in a while for nostalgia, and I still like to check out these threads for news of the remastering projects, but Star Trek means very little to me now.It was something from my childhood I grew out of, but I guess it'll always be a part of me. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

The spotlight is still on the new movie. Don't worry, season four of TNG will get its day in the sun.

9. davejames

I don't think I've ever been truly burnt out on Trek. At least not like I was burnt out on Star Wars after all those years and years of non-stop hype over the prequels.

Even during the VOY and ENT years, I was usually still able to enjoy at least some aspect of the franchise.

10. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Ditto.

SW prequels and it's mediocre spin offs that have been foisted upon the public since the prequels finished in 2005 made me quite tired of the SW universe. The Clone Wars cartoons were become a grind by season 3, etc. etc.

11. tomalak301

I guess being 10 at the time gives me a different perspective. I was excited about DS9 and Voyager, and while I remember not keeping up with DS9, Voyager was really the first series I watched as an "adult". The 90s really developed my Trek fandom and for that I'm grateful.

Watched Offspring and Sins of the Father tonight. Offspring is still great, even though I was really not understand Picard's original criticisms. Everything he said went against what he said in Measure of a Man. Since when was it bad to create new life, in an Android perspective. The other races do it all the time.

It's been a while since I've seen Sins of the Father and this might be the best "Klingon" episode in the franchse, yes beating all the DS9 good episodes (And I don't really consider Tacking into the Wind a Klingon episode). This episode started TNG's first arc, but just everything taking place on the planet was awesome. Also, the Remastering was really nice especially the city shots of the Klingon Homeworld. I'm really looking forward to Redemption to see more of it, especially with it on fire.

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think Heart of Glory is still the best Klingon-centric episode the franchise produced. :techman:

13. Hober Mallow

You just reminded me of another reason I got tired of Trek -- when it became a "franchise" instead of a TV show. Like a McDonalds, a 7-11 or something, a different one on every corner.

14. BillJ

Agreed. I pretty much stick to TOS, the TOS films, early-TNG and the Abrams films now as far as continued Trek consumption goes. The rest, while not terrible by any means, just feel derivative.

15. Hober Mallow

Early TNG? Interesting.

Interesting because I actually prefer early TNG to the later stuff. Yes, it's hit or miss (mostly miss) but it actually feels more like the future than do the later seasons. There's a sense of wonder and discovery that just isn't there later on when it seems we've charted most of space and keep running into the same rubber-foreheaded aliens again and again.

16. BillJ

Yup. Seasons one and two of TNG have always been my favorites of Modern Trek. :techman:

17. davejames

Yeah I have to admit those were some pretty badass, movie-style Klingons in that ep.

The ones that came later just seemed a little too soft and boring somehow, with the constant need to make them seem noble and honorable all the time.

18. tomalak301

When did we start identifying "Star Trek" as a franchise. TNG was a spinoff show of the original/movies, and there's been other spin off shows that didn't make something a franchise.

As for Heart of Glory being the best Klingon show, this is really a matter of taste. HOG is a great episode, but I've always enjoyed the political intrigue that Star Trek offered, be it in TNG or to a larger extent DS9. Heart of Glory is a great pure Klingon show though, and probably when it came to culture, the best one. I really didn't like the Klingon Culture/Alexander episodes that came after Sins. They were all a little on the boring side.

19. BillJ

Star Trek has been a franchise and has had franchise thinking for a really long time. I think its why TNG ended up playing it far safer than TOS in terms of content even though it supposedly had less interference because it wasn't on a network.

20. tomalak301

We all have our guilty pleasure episodes, and I watched one of mine tonight, Captain's Holiday. It's interesting how I seem to watch Q-Less more than I watch any other Vash episode, but I watched CH tonight and man Vash is attractive, especially in the hike get-up she was wearing. Love those boots too.

Anyway, I don't know why I love this and QPid as much as I probably should. Maybe it's Vash, maybe it's Qpid being a strong family favorite (I was only 5 when it aired and I thought seeing the crew in Sherwood Forest was hella cool, and I like Q) but it's fun revisiting these episodes again.

I will say there are some episodes this season where you really kind of look past the remastering. It's great, don't get me wrong, but there are episodes, like Captain's Holiday, that really don't seem to benefit from it. Now if they get to DS9, I think that remastering (especially Bajor and Cardassia) will really shine through. I really do wish they would get Hetrick for an interview in Season 4 and talk about Vash and what kind of idea that character was. It would have been nice had Vash and Picard actually hooked up but Vash isn't the right person for him. Oh well. It was nice while it lasted.