Trek Trailer with OZ

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by James T. Vader, Mar 9, 2013.

1. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    It's kinda cool too, that the Fleet Starbase Dome has lettered sections just like the one in the Original Star Fleet Tech. Manual.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Maybe just a dash?

NCC-07-B ?

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like a lot of rehashing is going on there.

And hey, they got themthelves their Milenium Falcon. And of course it only barely fits through the Death Star's reactor shaft.

4. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Instead of " like Star Wars", I prefer to think of it as "TOS on Steroids".

5. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anybody else get the feeling that the actual line from Pike is "Do you know what a pain in the ass you are?" The line sounds edited in the trailer to keep it "kid friendly" I presume.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello; you beat me to this point, but from the other side. Maybe it is because I found Trek (or it found me) when I was six, but I like my Kirk a grown up, solid man. I'm tired of the rule-breaking punk trope, here and all over.

(I mean no disrespect, though: like what you like!)

2. This trailer makes me not want to see the film. Boom, smash, fast things. Not my style.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. Thought the same thing.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

plynch what I meant was Kirk breaks rules all the time in TOS, the stuff he does in the movies in particular. I like how we see him as a young man with a serious rule breaking streak because we know even though he's mellowed out as an adult that streak is still ready to be tapped.

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

LUCSLY: James T Kirk.
    SISKO: The one and only.
    LUCSLY: Seventeen separate temporal violations. The biggest file on record.
    DULMUR: The man was a menace. ​

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But did those rules even exist while Kirk was command? While I don't have an issue with the 'rule-breaker' Kirk we see in the new movies, it seems much more reflective of the pop-culture interpretation of the character that started with TWOK. The TOS version of the character was a 'big risk, big reward' kind of guy, but I never really saw him as a rule breaker. YMMV.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention TOS established that in his younger days Kirk was more serious-minded. If it weren't for TWOK mentioning the Kobayashi Maru thing at the Academy, I'd be happy to assume that Kirk's rule breaking started during the movies and was more a mid-life crisis than anything.

Something which ocurred to me while writing this post, I really can't picture Kirk as played by Chris Pine being bullied by a jumping and prancing Irishman. For that matter, it's kind of a missed opportunity that they didn't make Cupcake Finnegan.

12. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always believed this, too. The idea of Kirk as a rule breaker has become exaggerated over time. So was his messing around with time lines.

Kirk himself said he was the "fools rush in where angels fear to tread" type, so he was a risk taker. But at worst, he sometimes bent or massaged rules. A lot of times, he saw himself in a position where there probably wasn't a rule to follow, let alone violate. I think only the most bureaucratic and literal-minded types in Starfleet would think of Kirk as a rule breaker.
    Whenever he faced a Prime Directive situation, he was never the one to have broken it in the first place. The Prime Directive allowed judicious actions to restore balance to cultures, and that was what Kirk did in "Bread and Circuses", "Patterns of Force", and "A Private Little War".

Now, I can bet a young Captain Kirk would be seen as a pain in the ass to the Starfleet Admiralty, and I bet trying to defend or vouch for him all the time wore Pike out.

But that's James T. Kirk. You wouldn't want every starship captain to be like him, but you come to realize you're damn glad you've got the one. As I posted elsewhere, I would suspect that at age 46 or 56, James T. Kirk, either James T. Kirk would try to stop that volcano from destroying the civilization on that planet. So that's very in character. The part of it that I think is seriously out of character for this or any Kirk, is
    Kirk lied in his log to cover up some of what happened at the volcano. That bothers me more than an actual violation of the PD. Jim Kirk is not a boy scout, but he's never been a liar. He stands by the courage of his convictions, he doesn't cover them up in a log entry. The Kirk who lied in his log is the same Kirk who rigged the Kobayashi-Maru test and risked punishment just to make a point about its fairness? That lying part bothers me. That's a side of Kirk we never saw before. Kirk always had integrity.

13. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Whether he actually broke rules (and if so, how many times) is probably open to interpretation, but we've certainly seen Kirk bend a few pretty far when circumstances seemed to call for it.

It's not hard to imagine a couple of humorless bureaucrats like Dulmur & Lucsly taking the dimmest possible view of such actions and—though the nature of the supposed violations is never specified—it's also not hard to infer that Kirk on occasion might have bent whatever General Order it is that prescribes time travel policy. (With an agency like DTI probably tending toward the Herbert end of the spectrum, it's also believable that at least some of those seventeen separate incidents involved no hard rule violation, but by then Kirk was already on their grudge list and they quite understandably took the opportunity to run up the inter-departmental grievance count.)

14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry if this may have been pointed out already. I'm coming to the party a little late, but did anyone notice the ship in one of the screenshots looks an awful lot like the USS Intrepid seen in Enterprise?

[​IMG]

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The notion of a "pop culture interpretation" of a character who exists only as a figment of pop culture to begin with amuses me.

16. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

That part made me laugh. I haven't watched the Star Wars films in a couple of decades and it still looked familiar.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a strong similarity in the two classes. The NCC-02 B (or whatever the registry is) is a Newton-type ship (click here for the fan-made version), we saw a couple of them in the last movie. I'm not sure if the saucer is actually a half-oval as the new pic suggests or if that's a trick of the slightly fishbowly perspective.

18. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Return of the Archons--Destroyed the Landru computer
    The Apple--Destroys Vaal
    A Private Little War--Arms one side with Flint-locks
    A Piece of the Action--The Federation has to come back for its "cut."
    The Search for Spock--Steals the Enterprise, defies Starfleet orders.

He's been a rule-breaker for a long time. But how did he stay in command? Probably by lying. Gene Roddenberry never addressed it in the series, but Jim Kirk does a lot of things we mere mortals couldn't get away with. And, often, like in Amok Time and The Menagerie, Kirk would be bailed out for defying Starfleet's orders by Starfleet saying "it's okay" after the fact.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why does that ship have two deflector dishes? What the hell kind of sense does that make? Kelvin has one nacelle, this has two deflectors, does Bad Robot not know how to design Federation starships?

20. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Or maybe, and I know this might be a shocking idea, they are expanding the range of designs because, well, they can (after all, who says there's only one proper "design" rule?).