My Trek Through Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Spock/Uhura Fan, Aug 24, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was apparently quite sick for a good many episodes and didn't recover quickly.

Oh and I have been quite worried about something but you can't read it S/UF because it is a spoiler. So don't click on the spoiler tag below.

If S/UF gives TATV an "A" I will need to be revived.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw: No accounting for taste teacake!

Yeah, I'd call the Augments trilogy one of Enterprise's best hours. An engaging story, a believable villain and Archer really was finally starting to act like a strong leader. Definitely surprised S/U scored them so relatively low, but opinions are just that!

3. teacake

The Augments trilogy has one of my favorite characters, the tragic Persis. Murdered by her brother and lover, used by her father whose approval she seeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such foreshadowing in the bottom photo..

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Oh, no accounting for taste can go both ways, lol. For me, so far, the best part of this series was the last quarter of season 3, but I hope parts that are just as good or better are ahead.

I have nothing against the augment 3-parter, it's just not particularly inspiring or exciting. The story is engaging enough, and the villain was believable, but Archer, well...

I'm sorry that you are surprised, but a lot of what was happening with the augments was like watching a teen drama, and there's nothing particularly wrong with that, but there's nothing particularly special or great about that either. It works; they are around 20 years old, so okay.

One thing that was interesting, or "off" to me, about them was that other than the three top augments, everyone else faded into the background and fell in line like sheep. For people that are described as the best and the brightest as well as very driven, uber-ambitious, and violent, that seemed a little contradictory.

I liked the way that DS9 handled them, where each augment had their own perspective and their own thought process. They each needed to be heard and to participate in what was happening, and these were the "broken" augments, so it really makes me wonder about the lack of "umphf" in most of the augments seen here.

There's no arguing, no debating, no nothing for a group of "individuals" that are supposed to have better internal processes than that, even if they are "defective" because of extreme ambition, which was only really seen with 1 out of the 10 or so augments. I don't know; I just think it could have been done better, but I'm not faulting what was done for that, hence the solid C grade.

5. teacake

It's because in their hearts this lot are all Spiner-Femmes.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

7. Spock/Uhura Fan

The Forge
    [​IMG]

I'm so glad that Soval is helping Archer with the investigation. I wish someone would feed T'Pol. And I'm starting to feel sorry for her husband. She could at least try. She chose to marry him. It's interesting to find that her mother is a Syranite (sp?). Oh no, poor Soval. I hope nothing bad happens to him because of the meld. This episode started off slow, but it built up nicely.

Grade: B minus

8. R. Star

Comparing the Augments in Enterprise to the Jack Pack isn't exactly fair. Of course the Jack Pack got more individual attention, there were only four of them and they could do that. In Enterprise there were a couple dozen, so naturally they focused on the ringleaders. Spending time to focus on those background augments really would just distract from the story arc.

I'll agree with teacake about Persis being a tragic character. Nice to see that at least one of them had the capacity to be decent. And really the way she was murdered was brutally personal there. Never did understand why they all wore those torn clothes like they were uniforms, even if in the case of Persis it looked quite nice. You'd think genetically enhanced superhumans could figure out how to patch a hole if clothes were in short supply.

To the Forge? The whole story dragged, but finally got interesting enough in the end to keep you wondering what will happen next. Admiral Forrest dying kinda sucked. He was one of the few Admirals in Trek who wasn't a complete jerk. Really though, the story is dedicated to curing Evil Vulcan Syndrome. :p

9. teacake

The Space Seed augments are of the same era and augment project so they are much more comparable. The Jack Pack is hundreds of years later, failed backstreet augmentation that parents thought was going to improve their kids. The Space Seed augments didn't all stand out either and they followed their leader with a greater pack goal in mind which is what the ENT augments were struggling to do. They were handicapped by being much younger and having been abandoned early on but you could see they would have been a powerful squadron of augments had they had the training that the Space Seed augments clearly had had prior to going into stasis.

I think we had quite a few ENT augments being showcased, it's not like any group of people has all of them up front with individual stories.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the ENT Augments didn't have the experience that Khan's Augments had gained from the Eugenics Wars prior to their leaving Earth. And it showed pretty clearly.

11. Spock/Uhura Fan

^ I agree that they didn't have experience, and I'll even say that this was shown fairly well. But, that wasn't the issue I had with this episode.

The comparison is very fair. The "Jack Pack" were exactly what they were described as--Broken. The "Soong Pack" was described as extremely ambitious, intelligent, gifted, hostile, and driven. I really only saw that with one of them while the rest fell back as sheep. The way these augments were described within the series should have brought about more interactions in the group of about 10-12 augments (not 2 dozen). The only person that really questioned anything with any kind of ambition/arrogant defiance was again one augment. This made him look like the exception rather than the norm.

As far as individual time spent on each and every augment, well, I'm not and I was not asking for a full bio on each one. What I do think was necessary was more interaction. You mention that there were only 4 in the "Jack Pack," well we didn't even see 4 augments in these episodes interacting with each other at one specific time, so it's still a failure there, even by that standard. All I'm saying is that they either should have been more as a whole what they were described as or the definition should have been different to fit what we actually saw.

I agree here too, but I also think she fell in line a bit too easily when she herself seemed to be more measured and could have made a decent leader. Where was her ambition? It's kind of sad that her aspirations were simply sleeping with whatever dude ends up in charge. I think that was her mistake.

I can't disagree here. :p

And once again, the issue for me has nothing to do with hundreds of years later. The issue is that these augments weren't at all what they were described as, save for one. Something's up with that. :vulcan:

12. teacake

If they were sheep they were sheep the way Khan's followers were sheep, in that they obviously desired a leader and fell into a hierarchical social structure. The generation of eugenics ENT and Space Seed augments came out of may have included a tweaking element of that, after all if you're going to rule the world you cannot all want to lead. There is no comparison to Jack's Pack other than that eugenics were involved.

The hundreds of years is completely relevant, the purpose for the eugenics as well as what they actually were doing was a very different thing.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

They were sheep that, despite their "superior intelligence," weren't smart enough to question a bad leader and find a good one (which it seems is what they might have had at the beginning). Obviously the ambitious guy was deceptive, but even he could only wear a mask for so long. At around the same time Pesis realized that he wasn't the one, at least some of the others should have been questioning his rule as well. That doesn't mean that every single one of them wants to lead the group, but it does mean that every single one of them is able to put 2 and 2 together in their own way like Pesis did.

Now you want to drag Khan into it. Okay, the same thing you said about the "Jack Pack" applies here. Different batch of augments. They were also older and more experienced. Once again, the problem here was that these augments didn't live up to their flawed description, not that they weren't like other augments in other times.

So, either the description should have been different within the ENT series, or the augments should have been different so as to live up to the description. The only reason why I mentioned the "Jack Pack" in DS9 is because there, the people writing them actually made them what they were described as, so comparing the finer details of what they were is irrelevant here, only the fact that they actually were what they were described as. Since you seem to think that the ENT augments were just fine, then I'd guess you'd be leaning towards their description being off in this series because, one or the other, something was off.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Awakening
    [​IMG]

It seems like the guy in charge of the VHC is dirty. I assumed that the guy they came across in the desert was Syran. So, he must have passed his katra over to Archer, as well as Surak's. What's happening to Archer reminds me of what happened to TOS McCoy when Spock died. I only vaguely remember that, but he seemed troubled by what he couldn't explain. And I don't know that I like T'Pau. In fanfiction, she's Spock's grandmother. I wonder if that's really true. I can understand why Surak chose to stay where he was because T'Pau seemed a little to closed-minded. Oh no, poor T'Pol. At least she got to say goodbye.

Grade: B minus
    ----------------

Kir'Shara
    [​IMG]

And so we do find out that Penar Syndrome is caused by a poorly trained practitioner. Even though it shows up on biological scans when someone has been damaged by an irresponsible practitioner, it can be corrected by someone who actually knows what they are doing. This means, that had the careless and selfish Vulcan that persuaded T'Pol into melding had A) known what he was doing, and B) cared enough not to rape her, then she would have never contracted the disease. Thank heavens for T'Pau!!! And another kind thanks to Sindatur for his good memory.

I'm disappointed in Shran. Soval went out of his way to help the Andorians, and this is the thanks he gets. I suppose Shran had his orders to follow, though. It's just that Soval didn't deserve torture. I'm glad that everything worked out in the end, and poor Kos. I almost think T'Pol didn't deserve him. He was such a good person. I think she broke his heart.

Oh, wait a minute. Was that a Romulan?

Grade: B

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol: This. First time around really bugged me. Now I just work it that she's overcoming trellium/E2/etc damaged her and she's recovering. Not a big fan of the Vulcan capri pants, but the Japanese appropriation seems appropriate. Otherwise this was all Vulcan nirvana for me. Though first time saw the Romulan in Nemesis uniform, I was :wtf:.

16. Spock/Uhura Fan

And this really is the best way to think about it. I can imagine that after a while, the trellium is taking its toll. That, and the fact that she's lovesick for Trip, lol. ;)

Vulcan nirvana indeed. :)

17. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

But that's work for inferiors!

Actually, I think they're all just arrogant. Pride goeth before the fall and all that. Hence they don't see the bad leader 'cause it's the logs in their eyes, etc. They don't want to believe not so much that he's bad but that they, as superiors, made such a wrongheaded decision.

18. R. Star

So make the half augment kid do it! :p

19. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Maybe he's klutzy. Perhaps the unis are his attempts to make repairs.

Dayum, ya can't get good Augment help these days.

20. Spock/Uhura Fan

Apparently not! :lol: