X-Files Bombs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

The budet is only $30 million and I doubt the Ad budget is too high so X Files should be fine when the final worldwide total is finished.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? After what happened with Enterprise, it's my belief that studios are only interested in what Joe Six Pack in America does with his movie ticket purchases (or through Neilson ratings). Overseas and even DVDs don't seem to count worth a damn towards continuing production. In other words, a 30 mil movie and 10 mil return on the opening weekend is enough to bury it forever. Correct me if I'm wrong. Cause I also really wanted to see the alien arc finish in 2012!! :(

What was wrong with the first film (Fight the Future)? I still think it's pretty tight. It's on my shelf. :bolian:

I've also heard a blockbuster like Superman Returns required something ridiculous like 300 mil revenue to be considered a "success" and continue the franchise.

I haven't seen X-Files 2 yet, but I do hope they wrap things up with Skull and Muld well enough. As another poster noted, the series finale was pretty weak as a proper send off.

3. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Fantastic for TDK. Bad for X-Files. :(

I mean, I'm torn. I'm glad TDK is doing so well. But it's massive status has crushed something else I enjoy, X-Files. So... *shrug* rock, hard place?

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'd say that the end of this movie could serve as a good send-off if it comes to that.

5. gabby12

gabby12 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The film's production budget was less than $30 million, according to The Hollywood Reporter. FOX probably spent between $25 - $29 million to produce it.

6. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

Well, it's only been open one day! I'm hoping it's a bit early to call it a bomb...but I can see how the general public (ie never watched the series) would not rush to see it...the film really plays on the characters/relationship of Mulder and Scully...and if you weren't familiar with them, you'd miss the nuances.

Here's hoping for a better weekend :techman:

7. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

That's exactly what I was thinking as we left the theater. It was great for fans of the TV show, being so much like a longer version of a regular episode.

And I had to laugh about all those folks who left the theater when the credits rolled, missing the sweet little moment and wave goodbye at the end. I think Chris & Co. knew exactly the purpose of this movie.

8. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bad news

I hope to check this film out regardless

9. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm going next Friday. As long as it's better than "The Truth" I will be happy. $30m isn't exactly expensive these days so I'm sure it will turn a profit worldwide.

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wish they'd gone with a mythology film. Those were the meat and potatoes episodes inbetween various homages to slasher and supernatural flicks. I'll still see X Files 2, but I wanted UFOs, Goverment cover ups, oil slick/bounty hunter aliens etc... the plot sounds routine horror fair and not really Mulder & Scully on top of their game.

11. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

Except that Serenity was an infinantly more entertaining film than X-Files: I Want to Believe. You could watch Serenity without any knowledge of the show and still get into it. They use a new villain, they give a back story, and it's a solid movie. XF:IWTB feels like an ameture writer made that movie. Of all the things to get Scully and Mulder back together, and they choose this? So many unresolved cases from the series could've come back to haunt both of them enough to want to come to gether, and finish solving the mystery. Amanda Peet and Xhibit's characters could've been new X-Files agents, and needed Mulder's help, who in turn needed Scully's help. So many possibilities to restart the franchise could've happen here, but it didn't. I would love to have seen Xhibit become the new skeptical like Scully, and Peet become the new Mulder. Mulder and Peet's character could be discussing some new paranormal phenomenon, and Xhibit says to Scully, 'How'd you put up with this?', and Scully says something like, 'You just have to believe.' Using the film's title. I wish I could've wrote this! I bet a lot of other fans do too.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm getting "Serenity" flashbacks but with out brown coats in theaters shouting ""we've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty!":rolleyes:

13. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

They actually did that?!

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Have hope though for a sequel as here's an example about Box Office successes and failures:

AVP-R is (domestically) a failure of a film with a domestic gross of $41,742,552, and $128,031,313 worldwide. Despite this AVP3 is claimed to be being worked on as they recently shelved plans for Alien 5 (again) to work on AVP3.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was there any buzz for this movie at all? I think I only saw maybe one or two trailers and it was in this very same week. It's almost as if the people responsible for the movie just threw up their hands and conceded. I'm not sure if the movie is good or not but hopefully it might be able to do something in the theaters and then pull in more for DVD/Blu-Ray sales.

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie shouldn't have a problem profiting with total worldwide box office. But this is a day where DVD profits can exceed box office profits and be enough to greenlight further movies. DVD sales turned Austin Powers and Friday into franchises. I think it was Ice Age that made more in its first week on DVD than its entire theatrical run.

17. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Yah.

18. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I'm definately wanting the DVD when it comes out...hoping for deleted scenes ;)

19. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, I'm a die hard fan of the franchise, but as now work two jobs, both with weird hours, going to midnight and Friday showings just are not possible nowdays. I will go this weekend, but probably at a time when I'm not as likely to run into what I am assuming are still massive TDK mobs.

This film was made on the cheap from what I understand (the $30 million figure from earlier in the thread seems to support that). I agree - if there is positive word of mouth, this thing should make some money on DVD, Blu Ray, Pay Per View, et al.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The extended cut DVD is supposed to have the Mulder-Scully-Whitney threesome. Of course, since this is X-Files, it takes place after Whitney dies. :p