The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. BurntSynapse

BurntSynapse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would tend to disagree that one needs to see the evidence before making very confident statements about it.

Now, having said that....BRAVO, BRAVO, BRAVO!

Perfect: "scripting by cliche"!

2. jamestyler

jamestyler Commodore Commodore

I'd assume that bravo-ing was sarcasm considering that timewarp to stop Nero point is canceled out by the plot of the events of the movie.

3. BurntSynapse

This seems to capture more of what the author "felt" than anything factual about the film, and although TrekMovie must be unfailingly positive to keep their corporate support, this does not mean that their articles and other writing is always deceptively enthusiastic. Some truth can be almost certainly be found there.

Seriously, what standards of perfection are you using? This Kelvin scene failed mine by a light year!

I want to know whether the nonsensical dialog is of concern? What about blinding viewscreen images from stuff "out of visual range"? Bridge command and crew ignoring StarFleet's primary exploration mission? George Kirk's magical phaser powers to hit torpedoes from the future with a ship that's exploding? His useless suicide after all controls are offline? The Narada being unwilling to do ANYTHING to stop a collision with a ship moving at pitiful, *impulse* speeds while George rambles on the com to his wife? A chief engineer who has "never seen anything like" a warp drive that is "knocked out"? C'mon.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2009
  4. BurntSynapse

Is there no Star Trek film, show, or merchandise you consider bad?

5. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wondered, after re-watching it last night, with all the mistakes and whatnot, why was Kirk *just* promoted to Captain. Why not to a higher rank, if they considered what he did so fabulous that it deserved a promotion over other seasoned officers. Why wasn't Spock given the captaincy (let's say) and Kirk, First Officer, considering Spock did a lot of the grunt work. He risked his life to rescue the remaining Vulcans elders, piloted the Jellyfish, destroyed the drill, lost his *planet*. Wasn't that worth a medal, a clap on the back and a round of applause. Did they completely forget that Kirk wasn't supposed to be on the Enterprise anyway? Or were all of his infractions overlooked by this one heroic act.
    Eh, I'm not digging that deeply into the plot, but this was just something that crossed my mind.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  6. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

No are you thinking I should pick out bad things about the movie when it is obvious I like the whole film.

7. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, it means critically thinking about a movie. If you want to blindly swallow the movie as is that's your prerogative.

8. BurntSynapse

This is something that has bothered lots of viewers, but is typical of the film: nonsensical, sometimes miraculous actions followed by suicidal stupidity, insane actions, and dialog with no relation to the character's situation.

Go to StructuredDream for details.

9. BurntSynapse

I don't think people who are sufficiently emotionally invested in the film (meaning the lack a basic moral commitment critical thinking) should be urged to apply logic in situations like this. They nearly always resent such attempts, attack the suggester, and become even more hostile to rationality and those who follow such worldviews generally.

Good thinking is a process of growth, step by step, and objective, reasonable people should acknowledge this applies to themselves and others - which is really difficult with zealots. Nevertheless, we are obligated to a higher standard than those who have not had our educational/experiential advantages. Yes?

10. Itisnotlogical

Itisnotlogical Commodore Commodore

It was a really great movie, definitely one of my favorite flicks of all time. But to me, the character's just didn't match up with their now elderly counterparts from the movies and TV show. NuSpock is now young and angsty instead of quiet, dignified and intelligent; NuKirk is an idiot who spends most of his time getting his ass kicked and being saved by his superiors (Pike in the bar, Sarek on the Enterprise bridge, etc); NuUhura has finally removed Angelina Jolie from the very top of my personal "Ugliest Actors" list; you get the point. All in all, a good movie, just not a good Star Trek movie.

11. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was that really needed? OK, there are things about the new movie that bothers you. No big deal. But does the fact that it doesn't bother some other people mean that they are unable to think critically, are zealots, or are educationally/experientially disadvantaged? Does the movie have issues? Sure. Find me a movie that doesn't. But as long as I continue to be entertained and those issues don't pull me out of the movie, I'm not going to get my skivvies in a twist over it. I suppose if that's the sign of an uneducated zealot, I'm just going to have to live with that.

12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

No, it does not, and BurntSynapse, allow me to suggest that, while critiquing the film is well and good--it's why we're here, after all--critiquing other posters is something you'll want to steer clear of.

The above paragraph in particular would have been better left unsaid. (I'm not even sure the first sentence really makes sense, in fact -- some words appear to be missing or misspelled, rendering the meaning unclear, but it's not very complimentary, is it?) The second paragraph wasn't much of an improvement. If you feel you must condescend, perhaps another venue would be more appropriate -- your blog, for example.

While we're on the topic of things left unsaid:

startrekrcks, sometimes the best response is to say nothing at all. Do try to work a little harder on that.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. BurntSynapse

The answer to this question is always "no". Even if the entire universe ceased to exist without the X in "Is X really needed?", one could still argue saving the universe is not really needed.

Since it is a "begging the question fallacy" and doesn't contribute anything, I try to stop myself from asking it since it feels like it would be intellectually dishonest, and unless I were also using it regarding things I liked.

I feel obligated to answer what I see as sincere questions, but is answering a sincere question really necessary? It is respectful of productive dialog - yes, but not really necessary.

Again obviously not, but it does mean the "unbothered" are inappropriate for engagement in rational analysis of apparent problems because such work takes effort and motivation. It is like trying to rationally discuss foundational problems of a religious doctrine with its faithful - they typically have an astounding inability to participate.

Of course not. What interests me is the difference in standards. I'm really curious about how one could be pulled out of ANY movie if not this one. startrekrcks presents a solid, ethical standard for enjoyment: If it is Star Trek then startrekrcks loves it :techman:. While this rule does not strike me as a sophisticated standard, it certainly is a defensible personal position that does not make any objective claims about this film's performance as measured by generally accepted standards of storytelling.

You mention being "in the film", which is vital for enjoying fiction. When I was in the film as soon as the Kelvin came onscreen and reporting the looks of the lightning storm, then the bridge is being blinded by it, (looking completely different from the external view), and then they report it is "out of visual range", I have to jump out of the film and ask, "What the hell did I just miss?" This was in like the first 10 seconds of the film with 3 things that don't fit, which was then followed by 2 hours of similar, almost non-stop ridiculous self-contradiction! I just can't get a clear grip on claims of "greatness" for the film, which I think are different than claims of personal enjoyment, even though they overlap.

14. BurntSynapse

Of course. Please let me know if you believe anything I said applies to any posters, and I will gladly clarify.

The wording & spelling appear accurate to my meaning, but neither the observation itself nor its tone should be taken as complimentary/derogatory, unless the reader finds it helpful. I'm sorry the language seems unclear.

Personal note: I prefer to gain a reasonable understanding of an idea before declaring it's worth.

15. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I think it is Star Trek with a different style what's wrong with loving the movie

16. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So you're going to test your theory by using your opinion to poke holes in a scene because you're the "reasonably alert viewer" who needs to say he's better than someone who liked the movie?

Looking at your secondary location and based on your Captain Robert April love, you're either him or know him.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Knock it off. You know better than that.

18. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

Despite being 100% skeptical before, I voted excellent. I really liked the movie, being a CGI guy I ofcourse was paying extra attention to the effects. I loved the way the ships moved to warp, the battle scenes, and that kind of 70's sunlight. (I still think the flares are a bit distracting, but I must admit I use them more then I did before because of this movie... )

The only thing that still bothers me is the design and size of the Enterprise and the engineering section. It would have been better to go all the way "new". (Instead of "melting" the TMP refit.)

Overall, I'm pretty confident that this was a very succesfull and perhaps well needed "restart" of the franchise. I hope Paramount/CBS is smart enough to translate it into a new "TNG era" series in this new timeline, after the last movie.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don’t you mean go forward, since that event is 129 years after the events in the film?

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

As a movie: average
    As a Star Trek movie: poor

Overall experience watching it: aggravating as hell.