The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

please don't start with this thread, as well. glad you're taking the movie in, free or not.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I need to get my reviews back up online anyway, so it's appropriate to have a major update.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

4. Captain Robert April

^ Predictable.

This is only because, as a self-respecting disc jockey, I hate sales.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Wow, the poll results so far are really encouraging! :eek:

6. Captain Robert April

I haven't voted yet.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's stopping you? You already know what you're going to grade it. And the poll's anonymous!

8. Captain Robert April

Don't you have a puppy that needs kicking?

9. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I really loved this movie. I got to see it at a sneak peak last week and I am going back to see it again on Friday.
    As to the Farragut in the original timeline Kirk is cleared after his little KM test and gets assigned tot the Farragut. In the new timeline he is before the Academy brass on charges but his ruling is put on hold because of the attack on Vulcan. So he doesnt get assigned to the Farragut and McCoy gets him on the Enterprise.

10. Captain Robert April

Kirk also goes to the Academy about eight years earlier in the original timeline and is an experience, seasoned officer by the time he's assigned command of the Enterprise, whereas in this case, we're talking the "Top Gun" school of "rising through the ranks on the merits of being a smokin' hot bad boy!"

11. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Well who could call this happening? Someone comes in loving the movie, and you are gonna come in a bitch why it is so bad.

It must be killing you to see this movie getting such good reviews.

12. Captain Robert April

It's irritating, given the plot holes big enough to drive a planet killer through.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

If only this could be a theater crowd.

14. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

You havent seen the film yet, so how do you know there are massive plot holes?

And if you are talking about the continuity changes, those are not plot holes, but part of the plot itself.

15. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

If you have watched this movie then could you be more specific about which scenes you disapprove of? If you have not seen this movie then your opinion is worthless.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

No One Cares™.

17. Captain Robert April

The entire plot hinges on a plot hole the size of Vulcan itself, namely Spock, who's no stranger to time travel, doesn't take his little squidship into another time warp or two and stop Nero before he goes on his rampage! For that matter, he could even go back and prevent the accident that destroyed Romulus in the first place, so I can say with utmost confidence that this is a typical case of dumbed-down-for-the-masses popcorn action movie that uses the flashiest effects they can get their hands on to disguise the fact that we've already seen this story a hundred times before! And probably done better.

The rest is details.

Factor in that they've turned Kirk into a reckless smartass, who any responsible military organization wouldn't trust with a potato gun, being given command of Starfleet's biggest and flashiest ship, and you're talking scripting by cliche by writers whose closest thing to military experience is apparently having played with G.I. Joe's as kids (the little 3 3/4 ones, not the old 12" classics).

Oh, and I've read lots of spoilers, both here on TrekBBS and elsewhere. I don't need to see the movie to know what happens, I've seen point-by-point breakdowns of the entire plot.

18. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

You have obviously no idea what happens. Spock didn't choose to go back in time.

19. Captain Robert April

And that prevents him from choosing to go back intentionally to fix all this....how?

It's simple. Slingshot around the sun to go back to a point before the timeline diverged and prevent the destruction of the Kelvin, presuming that's the focal point in the timeline (another argument), then go back to the point in the timeline before this whole thing started, apparently the destruction of Romulus. Prevent that, or at least mitigate the results somehow, to the point where Nero doesn't go on a time-spanning rampage, and bingo, timeline restored.

But then, JJ wouldn't have his own Star Trek universe to do with what he wants.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Ah, look - someone who hasn't seen the movie yet voted "poor." :lol: