Wolverine And The X-Men - anyone watching?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Robotech Master, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

That makes sense, because the show never provides any other reason in the course of the season.

2. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Given the bleak present and the liklihood of an even bleaker future (MRD, Sentinels, etc) can you see Catatonic Cyclops being the leader the X-Men need?

I can't.

The only other possible option MIGHT be Storm, but Wolverine is a soldier. He'll make the tough calls "Slim" wouldn't dare make.

3. darkwing_duck1

Because the single disc "sampler" catches the eye of the "causal fan" of the material, the ones that might balk at paying $30-50 for a season set are more likely to pay $10-15 (usually less than a new release movie) for a single disc with 3-5 eps on it.

On top of that, you might not go for it, but experience has shown that enough "hard core" fans will to make it worth their while, added on top of "casual" fans.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That's a decent explanation. Not sure I buy Xavier thinking in those terms, though. I see him as more of an idealist. And Scott is like a son to him. He'd be more likely to tell Scott that he had to get his act together and become a leader again because the world depended on it.

Although maybe Charles is trying to protect Scott. Logan essentially can't be killed, so if things are getting much more dangerous for the X-Men, he's a good choice as the leader.

5. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:That about ''sums'' here up!:guffaw::guffaw:

6. darkwing_duck1

Since

[spoilers] Charles is speaking to them from the DoFP timeframe[/spoilers]

I can see his "idealism" being a bit blunted.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good points but still, they've shown that Scott can't lead if Jean is gone.

How can you really be a team leader if you can't move past the loss of one? That isn't the mind set of a soldier. They won't have Storm lead, which I assume is because of the mostly young male demographic. If "DoFP" is their fate, not Cyclops but rather Wolverire is the only one who can teach them how to fight for more than just civil rights. He can teach them how to fight to survive.

8. neogothboy74

neogothboy74 Commander Red Shirt

I've seen the entire series, and I loved it. It's easily my favorite of the animated X-Men shows; I enjoyed the 90's tune (though I liked Pryde of the X-Men more) - and I couldn't get into X-Men: Evolution. The latest series is very serialized, and handles the cast better - and the cast of characters is huge - using mutants I never expected to see in the series. I enjoyed the ending a lot, and it's the kind of series that would really play well as a dvd boxed set, though I've only seen it released as volumes.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The entire series is already done?

10. darkwing_duck1

I think he means "season".

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Gah, of course. I'm such a silly American.

12. darkwing_duck1

Well, sometimes in Europe, "series" and "season" are used synomymously.

13. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i really don't like one minor uninteresting character being billed as "top dog" when there's no logical reason that he would have lasted this long. his powers compared to the others are nothing and the fact that he's being marketed s one of the most powerful is absolute garbage. HE ruined x3 because the film's story was tailored so that the idiot can be at the center of it all. i just don't get his popularity.

and leading from that first reason he's on every damned marvel title. it wouldn't surprise me if we see him on every dc comics title now... >_< it's just ridiculous for this one damned character to get all the stories and spotlight when he's really not that much. very annoying. i think of him as the jar jar of the marvel universe.

14. neogothboy74

I did mean season. Sorry. I watch a lot of british tv (AbFab, the Doctor Whoniverse, Little Britain, etc) and I get my words mixed up as a result. I loved the Season.

I think it was called Wolverine & the X-Men to capitalize on the Wolverine movie - or at least that's what I assumed when the series was announced. But while Wolverine isn't my favorite character, I think putting him in a leadership role has worked wonders for Scott / Cyclops; his character has taken on some of the traits associated with Wolverine and I think it's really worked well for him. And this Logan has taken on some of Scott's personality as well. I really like this version of the team. A lot of the story / character seems based on the films, but they're not afraid of bringing in lots of comic inspired characters / stories - or of taking risks.

As for Emma Frost, I thought she worked wonders here. I'm so sick of Jean Grey. I used to love her and the Phoenix storyline but it's just been done to death. Literally. She's alive. She'd dead. She's alive. She's a clone. She's the Phoenix Force. She's travelled through time. She's dead. She's Alive. I just can't deal with it anymore. However, I do think they deal very well with this permutation of her character in this series, so I like her a lot more here; and I'm actuallly excited to see what the 2nd season will bring for these characters. I really enjoy the large cast of characters. I was constantly impressed at seeing so many favorites of mine, and seeing them used well. And they always left me hungry for more.

I'm hooked.

15. neogothboy74

Have you seen the "Hulk Vs" dvd? It has a short "Hulk vs. Wolverine" which is something of a prequel to this series. The animation is similar, and the voice actor for Wolverine is the same; the Weapon X characters are introduced there - and there's a sequel to it in the series called "Wolverine vs. Hulk". And this dvd prequel is very bloody. Deadpool has a very memorable scene. :devil:

16. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you might be missing the joke of irony, they even poke fun of it in the films too. About how Wolverine is the center of attention but the plots and story focus is never about him. Not one X-Men story or plot is ever about Wolverine, just go thru all the major stories & plots.

God Loves Man Kills
    PHoenix Saga
    Dark Phoenix Saga
    Days of Future's Past
    Extinction Agenda
    X-Ecutioner's Song
    Age Of Apocalypse
    Infernio

the list goes on...

Even the films:
    First plot was to get & use Rogue
    Second was to get and use Charles
    Third was to get and use Phoenix

Wolvie isn't top dog, he just a means to an end to carry the story along.

17. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was watching it, but then for some reason it fell off my Tivo. It recorded the first two episodes, then couldn't find it anymore when I tried searching for programs to record. Not sure what happened with it, but I did enjoy what I saw. Ah well. There'll be DVDs of the first season, I'm sure.

18. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

HOLD ON!! DEAD-POOL! ''THE'' DEAD-POOL is in this? the merc with a mouth is in the DVD?!:eek: I love that ''nut'' he's my favorite marvel charactor!:guffaw:He's damned funny as hell to! Has anybody here read :DDEAD-POOL/secret invasion? or the recent one-shot? PRICELESS!:guffaw::D

19. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

exactly. so when they took some of those great story arcs and tried to make them wolvercrap-centric they came up with... crap, for lack of a better word. trying to make the story not center on the focus of the story is just stupid. the third movie was about the phoenix and the cure and instead it became a very short wolvercrap movie. not that he's the only one to blame for that pile of a movie. they just picked the wrong people for it. first the director... come on. they thought getting a fluf comedy director would do well with an epic drama? who's bright idea was that. second, the writer. that guy needs to be shot dead. i don't know how he managed to turn two great story arcs into one very short bore-fest. that's quite an accomplishment really. one would almost think it was done deliberately. those two stories combined should have netted at least 3 hours worth of movie and not 1.5 hours.

20. Ultimale

Ultimale Lieutenant Red Shirt

Mmm...how I love tits.