NBA Season - 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

One thing I'll say about the Sixers. They didn't just say "let's go out and sign the worst possible players we could find so we can suck some more." It was more "while we're sucking, let's see if we can find some diamonds in the rough." They signed lots of no name players, but they did it for two week contracts and those who were better stayed on the team (basically, they treated the season as a long summer league). On the other hand, they are pretty brazen about not giving a fuck about winning.

But the number one overall pick was Cleveland, who did not do a race to the bottom. Even under the current system, the draft lottery isn't predictable.

2. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Yup. Not matter where the line is drawn, someone will push for it.

3. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

No it wasn't. It was more like the Sixers intentionally tanked this past season and as a result were able to draft some potentially great players. The Sixers have been in full on tank mode since they found out Bynum would never be of any use to them.

Now they want the league to look the other way while they tank one more season. Also, the Sixers have to be the first team to admit tanking. And as part of their admission, they are lobbying the league to keep the rules in place which allow tankers to benefit for at least one more year so they can again take advantage. Unreal. :lol:

This has to be some kind of milestone in self serving chutzpah.

4. Alidar Jarok

I hope you're not disagreeing with my statement that their strategy was to use short-term contracts to scout players because it's precisely what they did. Yes, they knew it would help them stay bad, but they didn't just pick the first 12 terrible players. The plan isn't to just build through the draft, but to find role players who have been missed by other teams along the way.

Did they deliberately tank. I'd imagine so. The Evan Turner trade has no other real explanation. And they obviously have no interest in making the playoffs this year because they'll lose a first round draft pick. Of course, the rules weren't designed to discourage this, which is why they chose to do it the way they did. But draft day decisions may have been done differently had they known the rules would be changed the following draft. They relied on the idea that they could take a gamble with Saric over somelike like Doug McDermott because of these rules. We aren't doing the draft over now that they know things will be different.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

What I'm disagreeing with is your attempt to mitigate what the Sixers have done while trying to make it look like they aren't the first NBA team to (apparently) forget that the league frowns on tanking, and practically announce that tanking is their "strategy". It is easy to see how they're doing it but it still bolis down to setting your team up to lose.

Just because they are open to "discovering" any new talent that accidentally lands at their door step, does not change the fact that the Sixers are "officially" tanking. They aren't alone though. The Celts have the exact same "strategy". I'm sure that if they happen upon a young nugget while languishing at the bottom of the heap, they'd be open to keeping that player too.

What I really hope is that the league waits until the season starts and then announces their new draft process. That way, more of the tankers will get caught with their pants around their ankles.

#loser mentality.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'm wondering if Indiana will now tank given the gruesome injury to George... (and the loss of Stevenson)... :(

7. Alidar Jarok

The long-expected Andrew Wiggins (and Anthony Bennett) for Kevin Love trade goes through. Similar to a lot of rumors I had been following, it is a three team trade between the Cleveland Cavaliers, Minnesota Timberwolves, and Philadelphia 76ers:

Cavs get Kevin Love.
    T-Wolves get Andrew Wiggins and Anthony Bennett (from Cleveland) and Thaddeus Young from Philly.
    Sixers get Luc Mbah a Moute, Alexey Shved, and next season's 1st round pick the Cavs got from the Heat.

The rumors had been that the Sixers were trying to get Anthony Bennett, but the T-Wolves seem like they've pulled off a great deal getting to keep him too. Out of context, one could argue the Sixers were just trying to get something from Thad Young who is a free agent at the end of the season and is unhappy in Philadelphia. In context, though, they've probably kissed goodbye any argument that the NBA should delay their anti-tanking measures.