Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

71.0%
  2. Above average

23.7%
  3. Average

3.6%
  4. Below average

1.8%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

I hated the way exposition was handled. I mean, in dream #1, after they fle into a warefouse and start the interrogation, Page talks with Leo about the train. This leads into flashbacks and exposition dialogue that lasts twenty minutes.. and only when it's over do we see more bad guys closing in, and Leo remarks: "We have to move."

The exposition actually increases after that scene

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

:lol:

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Well, seriously, the real intelligence of the film comes out in it's metaphors and layers, none of which is essential to its actual plot. The plot itself, what's actually going on, the rules of the world the film occupies...it's all meticulously laid out in exacting detail time and again, possibly even to the detriment of the film and maybe even dumbing it down a little.

Not enough, apparently.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

There's alot of potential for "Inception" t-shirts

I got "Inception" on the front

"You didn't" on the back

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I was saying pages ago! The movie wasn't too "smart" it was just people are insanely stupid! What wasn't there to "get" about the movie? They explained everything perfectly except the ending which is great because you can take it to mean a few different things.

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

He missed the cascading kicks. Therefore, even waking up out of limbo wouldn't take him directly back to the real world. I vote he's still dreaming at the end.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But with everybody else already awake, those other dream levels may not exist anymore (since they weren't Cobb's or Saito's dreams). The real world may be the only place left to go.

8. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Me too, he's still in limbo, but he created his own version or something.

But you could just go "It's all real, the top stops spinning 1 second after the screen turns black'", or that the whole movie was a dream and that his todum doesn't work because it's his wife's and he's still in a dream for many years.

It's a fine movie, but I didn't find it smart, it just wasn't as stupid as most movies are.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It wasn't overly smart, no, but I like that the ending was ambiguous because it will lead to an interesting re-watch when the time comes.

10. Lindley

We may not have ever actually seen everyone else wake up. We saw them get back to the first-level dream. The wake-up scene could have been part of Cobb's alterna-limbo.

However, you do make a good point about the lower dream levels dissolving when everyone leaves them, so it seems that even if Cobb is still dreaming, he's now only 2 levels down at most, which means the limbo state could only last for months (rather than years) before he woke up anyway.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

OR maybe we saw everybody wake up on the plane! :p

12. Level 2 Diagnostic

Level 2 Diagnostic Captain Captain

Watanabe's character didn't even know he was shot for a minute or two. So, obviously he didn't see the person who shot at him and he didn't feel the bullet hit him, yet he still got shot anyway. It wasn't a matter of him "believing" he had been shot, he had actually been shot, by a gun in somebody's subconscious.

It really is the equivalent of me dreaming about a clock, and the clock in the dream keeps perfect time. Or I dream about googling something, and get the exact same results as googling something when I'm awake. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

13. Lindley

Keep in mind that the weapons and bullets were not actually part of the designed dream---they were just the representations of the mind's defense training against Extraction. So yes, they'd have an effect even if the intruders didn't notice right away.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

The film has garnered attention as an orignal work that's skillfully made in a time of cinematic blandness. However, it is far from a classic film. I compare it to the latest magician's trick, it's only a short time before people see right through it, and will be pissed at the magician for insulting their intelligence.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Seems like a pretty bold claim.

16. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I stand by it. I find aspects very intriguing. I have always been a fan of films that hit on philodsophical beats - and have always wanted to see a good action film that does that, and the most intriguing notion of the film is the idea that the idea itself that is used in an inception is soemthing very basic simple in both Mal's case (her world is a dream) and the Murphy's cas. Aside from the simple idea in Mal's story, which is really cool, I find that whole plot bland and unmoving, and Murphy's relaitonship with his father became more interesting to me.

But the film has way too many stretches in believeability, way too much exposition to be enjoyed. And it seems that Nolan is constantly trying too hard to fool his audience that you can't relly enjoy it.

17. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That's total bunk. It may not be as genius level intelligent as some make it out to be, but it's hardly an insult to intelligence. If it was, you'd have to make the same claim for pretty much every film made.

Which I suppose you'll do now.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

It is an intelligent film. What I meant was that, once people see through the artifice, once they see through the manipulation, they will feel as if it is an insult to their intelligence.

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I think you're overestimating the cinema-going public's capacity to care that much.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, it was the most enjoyable and satisfying movie-going experience I've had in years, and completely disagree with all of your compaints.