Virtual *TOS* Enterprise for STV:Elite Force - WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

And here's Auxiliary Control. Since minor details and lighting of the set differed between the four or five different times it was featured in an episode, I used a combination of the different setups to present it the way I think it looks best.

This was a difficult area to create, since I was unable to find any schematics of this set and had to rely on screencaps to build it to my best ability. Hope I got it close to the mark ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like you pretty much nailed it! Great job as always.

As far as references go, the only thing I would suggest (other than screen grabs) is pics of Matt Jefferies miniature stage set, you can find this online via a web search pretty easily. It includes the auxiliary control room as seen from a "birds eye view" which is probably the closest thing to a floor plan schematic as your likely to find.

3. Donny

I actually used the book you're talking about, plus the bird's eye view, to eyeball a few angles. Ha! I'm so glad I bought that book when I was a kid.

4. TIN_MAN

Ah, excellent, then you have everything you need. :techman:

5. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That looks pretty darn close to me. Good job!

6. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

You can legally download it for free here http://ufplanets.com/index.php?pageid=eliteforce, I believe you have to register for the site. And you can thank Donny for this as well, since he's the one who made us aware of it.

Edit: looks like it doesn't include the single player part of the game, only the multiplayer. Still have to pay for the single player, though with the game being so old, I don't know why they wouldn't make it free. Thankfully I've still got my own discs somewhere.

And great work as always Donny!!

7. Donny

I think there was an issue where they were unable to release Elite Force with the Single Player portion intact. Not sure if this was fixed, but it must be noted that you will need Elite Force Single Player and its Expansion pack to play the mod I'm building.

If you can't download it legally, you can buy it here for as little as $5.99 http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Voyager-Elite-Force-Pc/dp/B00002SU5C

8. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Donny it looks like you posted about the same time I was editing my post with the new info.

9. Donny

Phaser Control Room. Got this finished today, and I'm rather pleased with the results. This area was only featured in one episode, Balance of Terror, which happens to be one of my top 3 favorite TOS episodes of all time.

I only had a handful of screen grabs and a pre-production stage plan to work with, but I think it turned out nice. I did a lot of work on the lighting with this one, and as a result got multiple shadows from objects, giving it a very TOS feel.

Note the "Phaser Coolant Seal" warning label near the tanks to the right.
    [​IMG]

The console and panel on the rear wall are completely conjecture, although we know some sort of console was there from Balance of Terror. Tomlinson stood at a console here when giving "Phaser One, Fire" reports.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also increased the lightmap size, and was able to get shadows of the grating cast onto the control console banks.

[​IMG]

The details of this console were hardly visible in the screenshots from Balance of Terror, but I noticed it had the same shape as the console added to the transporter room set in seasons 2 & 3, so I duplicated it here.

[​IMG]

10. TIN_MAN

Wow! :eek: You should be pleased with yourself, this is excellent work. Your attention to detail is phenomenal and it really pays off! I even like what you did with the ceiling, which of course, was never seen at all, until now. :techman:

11. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE the atmosphere of the control "bank" behind the grille! You certainly caught that early first season "space noir" lighting.

Sincerely,

Bill

12. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice work Donny! :D

13. cbp44189

cbp44189 Commander Red Shirt

Amazing. This just keeps getting better and better.

14. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder how well this project's sets would look in an updated Unreal engine. I'm more than fine with just having the EF1 versions, but any chance on experimenting with parts in a newer iteration of the engine (EF2's engine is the next version, but interest in that died out before the game was released. I know, I bought a copy when it came out. :( )

15. Donny

Yes, I've thought about it, but EF1 seemed the most logical choice since it already has a lot of Trek materials and such. I've thought about doing some tests in the Unreal SDK, but haven't yet. If I get some spare time I'll check it out.

If I could edit EF2 in GTKRadiant 1.5 (which is superior to the only editor you can use to mod EF2, UberRadiant) I'd make that switch in a heartbeat. EF2 is a slightly more powerful engine, but the editor that was released with it was pretty disappointing and unstable.

For now, I'll stick with EF1. If I try out some stuff with another engine, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

16. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

I didn't know that place existed.

I'm trying to find the download button as we speak.

There's also a thing I bought a while ago called "Star Trek Action Pack" or something, which had 4 games: Elite Force, the Elite Force Expansion Pack, Armada, and Armada II. If you can find it for like the 15 bucks or whatever it was I bought it for, it's a deal. Ignore the eBay people trying to sell it for 300 dollars; those guys are freakin' nuts since you can buy all 4 things separate for probably under 30 dollars all together.