So are we finally seeing the waning days of Facebook?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by SeerSGB, May 23, 2013.

1. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Teens leaving Facebook

That sort of goes along with the culture of Facebook. "Sharing" and "connecting". People are going to see what you post and they're going to either comment on it, share it, or both. Which leads to every dog havng his say.

Makes sense. How many website and applications are we seeing that need or want you to log in with your Facebook account.

Makes me think we're starting to see the dawn/return of a generation that actually realizes that keeping shit to themselves and online privacy are good things.

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand the appeal of Facebook - never have. I have zero interest in reconnecting with anyone in HS or college - other than the people I already have.

And I don't have any interest what people are having for dinner - when they walk their dog - or what they bought at the grocery store.

For people who, "facebook," all the time - and ask for my non existent account - my answer is - "I don't play that game."

Teenagers are smart to not do it. More and more employers are checking facebook as a way to background check potential new employees and applicants.

Anyone posting their last big party - crazy moment - and may be looking for employment - is an idiot.

Good riddance to facebook IMO

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Facebook, like anything piece of technology, is a tool. Some people know how to use it properly; other people don't. Facebook isn't just about reconnecting with old high school people or posting stupid pictures, and anybody who thinks it is is very uninformed.

A lot of businesses don't even bother having websites anymore; they just use Facebook. I am the Soclal Media and Marketing manager for the brewery where I work, and Facebook is an integral part of my job. I use it daily to keep our fans informed about the goings-on in our business.

But on a personal level, I also use Facebook a lot to speak to people that I otherwise wouldn't. I have used it to reconnect with some old friends, but I also use it as a tool to connect with current friends. Hell, sometimes Facebook is the best way to get a hold of people when they don't answer their phones or respond to texts.

The value of Facebook is all in how you use it.

As for what teens are using more, isn't Instagram owed by Facebook?

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Also say companies doing Facebook (or any social media) as their only website as putting all their eggs in one basic. The smart move--to my mind, and what I was taught--was to diversify and hit as many outlets as you can afford.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If someone doesn't answer their phones when I call them or return my texts I no longer want to get a hold of them.

6. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

The novelty of Facebook wore off for me when I realized that when you lose contact with people, there's usually a good reason.

7. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Or when your FB friends, even when they are local, never seem to be available for get-togethers. It becomes more of a way to keep people isolated behind keyboards.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Hardly. I use my Facebook to organize get-togethers. It's become a much easier way for me to get ahold of people.

Now, it's possible that I am coming at this from a different perspective than a lot of the world. I was one of the very first people (relatively speaking, anyway) to use Facebook. People still seem to treat it like some kind of fad, but I have been a member of Facebook for nearly a decade.

When Facebook began, it was only available to people at select college campuses, and I just happened to be the exact right age to have access to it. It became a way for me to stay in touch with high school friends. I wasn't re-connecting with long lost acquaintances; I was just keeping up with people that I literally went to high school with the previous year. It became an easy way to see what everybody was up to, and as a result I have retained a lot of friends that I may have otherwise lost.

Aside from actual in-person contact, Facebook is the primary way that I communicate, and the majority of people that I talk to on Facebook are people that I also see regularly in real life.

I'm not saying that everybody should use it, but it really bothers me when people bash it. It's just a communication tool, like your cellphone or email, only it's easier because you don't actually need to bother getting your friends' phone number or email address.

9. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

There are circumstances where someone has to be contacted, and FB profiles at least don't change every time someone moves.

Are they really being "smart", or are they avoiding it because their parents are on it? If your parents are doing something, isn't it by definition "uncool"?

With hundreds of millions of users, I don't thnk it will disappear anytime soon. And today's teens may adopt it when they're in their twenties.

10. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I don't see Facebook disappearing, or people deleting their profiles en masse. What I do see is Facebook losing its status as the central location of people's online lives. There was a time where I left FB open on a tab much of the day, and ran the FB app on my phone - no longer. I know a lot of people who don't check FB more than a couple times a week.

Facebook is still good for messaging and chat, but its days are numbered as a place to go and waste time. That's what's Tumblr is for.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Facebook is going the way of MySpace or is it My__ now? Might take a few more years, but it'll fade to background noise sooner than later.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I doubt it. Facebook has permeated the world in a way that MySpace never did.

13. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It'll either radically change to keep up revenue and alienate it's audience or it'll go the way of MySpace and Geocities and be surpassed by the next latest and greatest. I say about 10 or 15 more years (at most) and we'll have a large scale walking back of social media. We're already seeing it being less and less important to people.

14. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

It's all a matter in what you make of it and how you use it. It's certainly easy to get information overload out of it, and too much drama, but there are ways to filter that out. I do have an account, but I use it to stay in touch with family since we're all spread out all over the place.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I use Facebook to keep in touch with actual friends, organize events and parties. That's about it.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

That i don't believe.. people, especially those in their 20s and teenagers are just switching services to other sites like Twitter, Instagram and whatever else there is.

None of these may reach the humongous user numbers of Facebook but FB has become an everyday tool and as said earlier it has become uncool since parents and grandparents started using it (my friggin' dad, computer illiterate until 5 years ago is on FB and posting away like there's no tomorrow) but social media has stayed cool and will stay that.

FB is still too big to fail.. they are adapting to changing times but the glory days are over and the shiny paintjob has become a bit dull. People will still use it because they've invested much of their time in it and have connections there but it may be the 2nd, 3rd or even lower ranked sites people check when they go online.

17. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Teens are leaving Facebook because everyone and their grandmother is on it. They don't want everything they say and do to be seen by their family or the wrong people. I'm 33, so I can't say for sure, but that's what I'd think if I were 15.

I have friends, family, and colleagues on there. Because of that last part, by necessity, I can't leave Facebook. There are entire communities on Facebook that aren't going to just disappear.

It's like TrekBBS. Look at this place. It's been around since 1999.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. Having your parents and other relatives on Facebook is an incredible invasion of a teenager's privacy. You can't ban them, so you can only switch the service, or use a second profile.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Or you simply don't accept them as your friend. Not that hard.

20. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Okay did any link above show that FB is being used less than it was a year ago (false IDs which have been deleted notwithstanding)?