What is your favorite Star Trek uniform?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RyuRoots, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Which Starfleet uniform do you enjoy the most?

1. TOS TV Show Uniform

33 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. TOS: TMP Uniform

15 vote(s)
    5.1%
  3. TOS Movies 2-6 Uniform

74 vote(s)
    24.9%
  4. Early TNG Uniform

2 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. TNG Season 3-7 Uniform

23 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. Early DS9/Generations Uniform

16 vote(s)
    5.4%
  7. Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform

107 vote(s)
    36.0%
  8. ST: Enterprise Uniform

27 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted First Contact version. It seems more logical that a military uniform look... you know... like a uniform more than a rainbow.

My one exception is TMP's Admiral Kirk wearing his grey/white uniform. With black pants it would have been perfect.

2. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know...I've always wondered what those TWoK onward movie "band uniforms" would have looked like if they weren't just red...but red, gold, and blue, like the TOS ones...

Would they have looked to....garish...and silly? (The colors could have been muted, not technicolor or anything...)

^Though, that would have been a good time to implement the later TNG-ear change between who wore red or gold...I can't imagine Shatner looking so good in a gold version of the TWoK/TSFS/etc uniform for some reason...red just seems to suit him better in the films... *shrug* (Maybe that's because that's just what color I am *used* to seeing him wear in the films! Lol!)

I did read once - many years after first seeing the first three post TMP-movies - that the undershirts, jacket lining/backing & shoulder strap's of the TWoK red uniforms were supposed to be color-coded for department...but they didn't always follow that (and white seemed to be the default "dress" undershirt color) and I don't think most people noticed it even...(I sure didn't until it was pointed out to me!)

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the ones we saw in DS9 and Voyager, the black uniforms with red, gold or blue shoulders.

I also like the TNG uniforms.

4. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a few favourite uniforms. For a long, long time, the TOS uniforms were Star Trek uniforms to me - so they are favourite. I also really, really like the FC/late DS9 uniforms. Everyone looks good in them. I also like Kirk's admiral cream and teal uniform from TMP. And I like the TWOK/movie unforms. I think, overall, though, it's the late DS9 uniforms. My least favourite are the Voyager jumpsuits followed by the season one TNG uniforms.

5. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

My favorite uniform of all Trek is Captain Kirk's wraparound from the first season, as seen in "The Enemy Within," "Charlie X," and "Court Martial." I even own a damn near close replica of it. Gotta change the braid to something a bit more accurate. Oh, and the ship's patch also needs to be changed out. Right now, it's the third-season more pointy emblem, not the rounded tip of the earlier seasons.

Okay, I'm a Trek uniform geek. There I admit it.

Then it's TOS in general.

Second, the TMP uniforms because of the variety they had.

Third, the first and second season TNG uniforms. I like the clean lines of Thesis design, although I would've gone with a more forgiving fabric. You have to be really fit to wear one of those puppies.

Finally, the utilitarian look of ENT. In fact, I loved the entire look of that series overall. The uniforms, the NX-01, and the sets.

But I gotta say, I'm loving the nuTrek uniforms.

6. Cali

Cali Admiral Admiral

The late-DS9/FC/Nemesis uniform is my favourite.

7. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Ugh, why do people love the TNG films uniforms? I thought they were boring because there was so little color on show. I preferred the season 3-7 TNG uniforms, I thought they looked great.

8. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

As much as I liked the others, I still went for the Enterprise uniforms. They actually looked like space flight suits. :)

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Thinking about it, I more or less like all of the uniforms we have seen throughout the various series and movies. But I have a soft spot for the classic TOS uniforms and DS9's later First Contact uniforms. I voted for the TOS ones since I can only vote for one.

10. DaleC76

DaleC76 Captain Captain

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=758836&postcount=658

11. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform. just pipped the voyager one

12. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I voted for the late DS9 uniform but i did like the fact that the enterprise uniform had pockets.

13. Vonstadt

Vonstadt Captain Captain

Madison Square Garden : Let's Go Rangers!
    Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform was my favorite, looked like a proper utility uniform, though my second favorite was the old TOS uniforms from the 60's.

Vons

14. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

GAH! You like the Voyager and DS9 ones!?

15. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I can't believe so many people like the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" season 3-7 uniforms. I used to like them mostly because of nostalgia because they are the uniforms I grew up seeing, but I'm starting to think they're really ridiculous. The collars are just too high, and it sucks that Picard and Riker have to keep pulling them down because they're so awkwardly designed at the bottom of the shirt. I must be the only person who liked the season one uniform more - I just find that line around the chest much more pleasing aesthetically than the collars.

I loved the First Contact uniforms when I first saw them because it was the first TNG movie I saw and obviously a huge improvement in terms of design and richness of colour compared to the TV uniform, but I find myself disenchanted with those now. Part of the reason is because I'm getting sick of them having to see them on DS9 (just started watching it in the past year) and the grey is starting to look dull to me.

Now my favourite is the early DS9 uniform. I love how much more varied and colourful it makes the cast look, with the colours being highlighted more since they spread across the shoulders instead of just being mostly buried under the grey. However, after watching First Contact yesterday, I have to admit that for some reason Data looks a lot cooler in the grey uniform than he does in the one with the yellow shoulders. I think the best single uniforms (as in not worn by everyone, but just one person) are Picard's vest in First Contact, Kirk's green wraparound tunic, and Picard's jacket over grey shirt. All very unique, classy-looking, and absolutely perfect for their wearers.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with you on all accounts!

The First Contact uniforms are great and make more sense for Starfleet than the ST 2-6 uniforms do. Others have pointed out that the latter are too "military" in style for a supposed exploratory/non-military group. However, I find them visually appealing and sharper looking than anything that preceded for followed them.

17. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I have always like the uniforms they were wearing in wrath of khan through to undiscovered country. i also like the uniforms that starfleet wears in the latter half of the 24 century(black and grey).

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TOS. Second choice would be ENT. Then DS9/VOY. The rest look uncomfortable and hot,.

19. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No competition - Late DS9/First Contact-Nemesis Uniform

20. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another vote for the First Contact/late DS9 unis. To me, they beat out all the other uniforms in both visual appeal and functionality (at least as far as we can assess the functionality of fictional uniforms used by a fictional organization hundreds of years in the future :lol:). It looks very professional, and very sharp. And I do think that certain characters of the fairer sex (*cough*Ezri*cough*) do look particularly nice in it, as well. To quote Quark: "I love a woman in uniform!" :D

I do like both the early DS9/Voyager uniform and the TNG 3-7 uniform, also (although I never liked how stiff the collar looked on the latter). As for the 23rd century, the TWOK-TUC one isn't bad, but as others in this thread have said, it never looked right as a duty uniform. It had an almost civil war era flavor, with the stripes on the pants, the puffy white collar, and the decorations on the strap near the right shoulder. It would have been good as a dress uniform, with something a little more simple (and that didn't look so movement restricting) as the duty uniform.

The Enterprise uniform was certainly good in terms of looking right for it's time and setting. It still had a modern, NASA-esque quality to it, yet it looked just different enough to pass as something worn by Starfleet officers. And it does win for functionality, as well (actually, a couple of cargo pockets is something I've always thought would be a cool addition to the FC/DS9 black/gray uniform).

The worst uniforms are probably those ridiculous, no-collar, "stretched out one-piece" TNG season 1-2 ones, and those colorless, uber 70's, "PJs... in spaaaaaace" things from TMP.

The original TOS TV show uniform style is ok... it does look really dated to me, but it's not too bad. The main thing I didn't like about these was the low-cut top/miniskirt combo that every female officer was seen in past "The Cage". This is the exact opposite of the FC/late DS9 unis when it comes to female characters; it looked completely unprofessional and made no sense for a show set so far into the future. I know, I know... it was a result of when the show was made, but still.