Re-writing the climax of STiD

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Well, the comments from this and the Orci thread below didn't exactly seem like glowing reviews, so I inferred that you weren't the biggest fan. However, I only mentioned that you seemed to consider these particular flaws a major issue, possibly a dealbreaker, not that you didn't enjoy anything about the films.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Good - someone else caught that besides me.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course people can offer different opinions. And maybe I didn't use the right word.

However, when I stated my opinion about the climax, the pacing, and basic story telling, I cited examples. No one has offered an opinion different to my own with anything even approaching that.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Marcus could have also already had the Enterprise and Kirk flagged as rogues. Sends the rest of the fleet on a wild goose chase to find them while he goes to deal with it personally.

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

7 good reasons. And in what, two hours?

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I take it you weren't impressed with Mars Defense? :p

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I still want to know whose idea it was to put warp nacelles on Typhoon class submarines and launch them into space. :lol:

Hoping the Borg would die of confusion from LOLbombs?

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I'm a bastard: first time I saw that scene in BoBW, I wasn't thinking "Wow the Borg are a serious threat", I started laughing. It's just the way they roll through, pow, pow, pow, and don't stop. Sort of "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you"

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are the lamest defences I've ever seen, it was just hilarious after the Battle of Wolf 359 that they just sent out 3 glorified satellites with motors.

10. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Guys, believe it or not, but space is really really big! Even between Earth and its Moon, such a vast distance, you simply do not 'see' something if you're not actually looking for it.

Sure one may say: 'with all this sophisticated technology they should have gotten some sensor readings' but then again, Vengeance jammed all of Enterprise's signals with Anti-Leptons or whatever

Really, this movie has some more serious problems than the undetected battle in Earth's gravity field

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I know. No Star Trek fan should have to put up with a fun and exciting movie. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, please. :rolleyes:

13. BillJ

That's the type of response one should expect when they say the movie has problems yet doesn't list any of them.

14. Mountie1988

Mountie1988 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey, I liked this movie a lot. My girlfriend, not so much. Too much violence. My brother, nope. Didn't like the men in the torpedoes. I understand this and I've got some more issues like...
    1. Vengeance too developed compared to Starfleet's flagship
    2. Khan slaughtering dozens of Klingons without being hit once
    3. Big bad ship, once again
    4. Too much comic influence

But that's not my point. My point is: Space is really really big.
    Nice try to detract...

15. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Star Trek has always had a problem with depicting scale when it comes to space. Especially when it comes to space battles. Truth is, if they did it "accurately", it'd be pretty fucking boring cause the ships wouldn't even be in visual range of each other, much less as close as they get in the movies and shows.

16. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you have to belittle people with different opinions than yours? I mean, I like the movie, but that doesn't mean I don't have some criticisms. That doesn't mean "I want it to be boring." :techman:

17. BillJ

After spending four years being belittled over these movies, being called the "drooling masses" and a fan of "least common denominator" fare. A bit of turnabout is fair play.

18. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

Hell during all of The Wrath Of Khan I was asking where the rest of the fleet was.;)

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing is, in STD Earth has now been attacked TWICE and still no defense system was anywhere to be seen.

In Best of Both Worlds, we got a glimpse of primitive solar system defense, and well the whole Earth defense fleet gathered at Wolf 359. The fleet got complete destroyed, that's why there were no ships left near Earth.

The second time Earth got attacked, there was the First Contact big ass space battle with countless of ships.

And in Voyager Endgame, there was again a whole fleet waiting.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

This worried him?
    Tell your brother to "man up". Thats what I'd tell my brother. :lol:

What does he think of the Borg queen robocop style - that gives me the creeps but I still endure. :lol: