Feline Follies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alienesse, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It really depends on the cat. Some take to new friends and some don't. Maybe you can have a new cat on some kind of trial basis? like if a friend has to give up a pet maybe they would be willing to see if it would "work out"?

2. Ghost07

Ghost07 Vice Admiral In Memoriam

When I had my cat, just turning on the radio helped. He heard voices and music, and it wasn't so completely silent all day.

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Also a good way to send secret transmissions to the cat illumanti while the owners are away, no doubt. ;) :lol:

4. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Junior is very clingy. He gets very upset when we both leave for long periods of time. He is also, however, obsessed with food--like ridiculously so. I try to distract him with food when we leave or put him in another room for the night. Now he gets excited at night, because he knows he's getting a late-night snack.

5. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Thanks everyone. I will try the radio and special treats when we come home.

I wish we could take a cat on a trial basis, but the local shelters seem to discourage it (too much stress on the animal with the possibility of numerous changes of location combined with reducing the chance of an individual finding its forever home while out on a short term trial with someone). This makes perfect sense to me, but obviously doesn't help with this situation.

And now I am torturing myself because I have just seen the profile of a 13 year old female that is now at our local SPCA. She is supposedly good with other cats and is super friendly. I know her chances of being adopted at her age are low, but it would break my heart to re-surrender her if she and Jack didn't work out.

Being a responsible pet owner is hard!

6. auntiehill

^Aw! Being a good pet-parent is knowing that you can't take in every animal. Sometimes it's better to know your limits, and your pet's limits. Being a good mom to one cat at a time is usually best for everyone.

I think Jack will be fine; he just needs to find a comfortable routine to help him deal with his separation anxiety.Familiar comforts, scents, sounds, tastes. etc will help him adjust. At 15, he's an old man now, so he may be getting a bit senile and his senses are not as keen. Consistency is key; he may still complain but as long as he's comfortable, he'll be fine. ;)

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If Cats are evil what does that makes us their minions.

Dogs have masters, cats have slaves. ;)

8. Shanndee

Thank you for this :) I think you are right. I just got so worried about his change in personality that I thought I needed to do something big to help him. But you are right. He is an old man, and change is to be expected. Comfort and routine are key (and maybe some extra spoiling as well :) )

Thanks again everyone!

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. auntiehill

Awwww. *melt* They're adorable.

11. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

This has been a fun thread so I wanted to warn anyone before I bring it down.

This is one of the last pictures of our dear old friend, Acey, who died nearly 16 years old. My wife and son and I, just moved into our house, first met him at the county shelter just after Christmas in 1999, a tiny kitten playing happily with a milk jug lid in his little cage. We could not have been luckier finding a pet.

I don't talk much about my personal life online, but I wanted to acknowledge publicly what a privilege it was to live with this sweet-natured, fun, smart and patient cat. I believe he had a good and happy life, and enjoyed good health till the last couple of weeks. What he added to our family is greatly missed and always will be.

May you all and your pets be as lucky as we were.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Very sorry for your loss, but it's no downer knowing you gave that cat a great long life.

13. auntiehill

So sorry to hear that! 16 years---you gave that cat a long and healthy life. I'm glad that you and your family had such a wonderful pet.

14. J.T.B.

Ar-Pharazon, auntie, thank you so much.

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

R.I.P., Acey.

Some of these photos, like from Saga, just make you want to find a kitten and cuddle it. Until it gets bored with you.

16. Shanndee

I am so sorry J.T.B. Acey looked like a lovely cat. I'm glad you all had such a long and happy time together.

Saga, those kittens are so cute! You really could make a calendar of the pictures you have of this litter.

17. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Sorry to hear that, J.T.B. Sounds like you gave him a long, happy life and he gave your family a lot of love in return.

18. J.T.B.

Thanks, all. :)

19. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Sorry to hear about your furry little pal. :(

20. auntiehill

Apologies for crappy phone pic, but I had to get this shot of Junior, wearing my shoes. He can't just sit on my shoes; he has to shove is front legs into them.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015