The Event: "Pilot" - Sept. 20 on NBC - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

?

Grading

1. Excellent

8.2%
  2. Above average

30.6%
  3. Average

32.7%
  4. Below average

20.4%
  5. Poor

8.2%
  1. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

See, I feel there was a key difference between this and Lost/Heroes. Granted Heroes started to suck and even when it was good, it ended quite anti-climatically. However, Lost worked on many levels, one of the biggest ones being character. The reason so many fans gave it the benefit of the doubt was because of the strong characters, strong acting, and good writing of character interactions. At the end of the day, many of the fans didn't care about a lot of the mysteries set up, just so long that the all the character's story lines were ties up in a good manner.

The Event and Flash Forward are lacking the characters, which is why I wasn't all that forgiving on Flash Forward and I'm not all that forgiving of The Event. You could say I'm being judgmental, but at the same time, I was compelled by the characters of Heroes and Lost very early on, I was even taken by some of them in the pilot (Hiro, Ando, Suresh, Hurley, Charlie, Sayid).

But ultimately, at the same time, I really like a good mystery. I like having to involve myself with the overarching story, while still enjoying the characters. Since I've finished Lost, I've put together a lot of new theories on events that happened and why things happened. That's a really cool level to have a show at, but it can be frustrating watching and waiting for things to happen if (in risk of sounding like a broken record) the characters are weak.