Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Mowhawks are for tryhards conforming to acceptable parameters of rebellion now.

Unless they're being Ironic.

Then they're just assholes.

Fauxhawks were never cool.

It's definitely over 20 years since they were taken.

Whet pegged me was Kitty saying that Jean was in the class ahead. Kitty joined during the dark Phoenix saga. They barely met before Jean died on the moon 6 issues or 6 hours later. And when Jean came back for X-Factor, Kitty was off in England with Excalibur (Although Kitty celebrated her 16th birth day in I think it was probably Excalibur 16. Courtney Ross (Courtney Cox + Ross Ghellar? Weird.)bought her an Italian sports car.). Any time they met after that they would have been peers and adults, before Jean died again.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The bottled water thing threw me as well. There's no way that Marvel continuity is older than ten years of comic book time. So that would place Young Scott from @2002. After 9/11. I'm pretty sure they had bottled water back then...

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

You just have to accept that it doesn't make sense - logically they are from maybe 1998 or around then but within the story, they are meant to be from the 1960s or a similar low-tech 'innocence' era - it's never going to be internally consistent because they are going for an emotional reaction and a certain feel rather than an analytical approach.

5. JoeZhang

Having said that, even you really do stick to "it's 15 years ago" and do it in a consistent manner - that throws up all sorts of changes to the Marvel Universe, within a couple of years, we'll have a Cap who woke up after 911 (he must have already missed the cold war)*. The punisher has been recently revised to be a Gulf War vet rather than one of the nam.

* Mark Waid recently did a series where Cap wakes up last year and Obama is the president.

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't allow any time for reading last night but did squeeze in Indestructible Hulk #3.
    A much better story this month. I felt last issue was just a blatant heroes fight issue. Here it actually moves the purpose as set forth in issue one along which is Banner releases Hulk at the right time when SHIELD needs the assist.

Who was the Pert Australian female prisoner that made reference to Egghead but would rather have this assignment(working with Bruce)? I didn't recognize the name.

7. Admiral_Young

Melinda Leucenstren. Climatologist/Astrophysist. Probably someone new that Waid created for the book. I didn't recognize any of the people that Hill interviewed, so I'm assuming they're all new characters. I'm guessing perhaps one of them or a couple of them could be double agents working for either Hydra or AIM but that's just a guess.

Indestructible Hulk is fast becoming my favourite book period from Marvel, not just in Marvel Now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  8. Captain Craig

I assumed they all were new but her since a reference to Egghead was made. Glad to know though. I fully expect one or more to also be less than trustworthy. They either are corrupt now for their own ends or a pressure point is applied that forces them to aid Hydra or AIM for whatever reason(s). Thanks.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Indestructible Hulk has been pretty good so far, but it hasn't really impressed me like Thor: God of Thunder, and All New X-Men have. Still, it's a really good book that I'm enjoying, even if I can't call it my favorite of Marvel NOW.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indestructible Hulk is great and it rivals All New X-Men for my favorite of the Marvel Now books. I just wish Hulk himself would demonstrate some personality beyond rampaging monster.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has the Sif Journey Into Mystery any good? I haven't seen much discussion of it here.
    I'm trying to find female lead Marvel book to go along with Wonder Woman from DC. I know a lot of people like Captain Marvel, but I was just curious about this one too.

12. Captain Craig

I also try and support the female led books when it's a character I really like. I've been reading the JiM featuring Lady Sif and found it to be average at best. I've not brought it up cause of that. It's a book that right now I could drop if I found something that really impressed me. DC just cancelled FRANK Agent of SHADE so Lady Sif remains safe.

I do like Red She Hulk, that book has been a fun read if you're so inclined.
    I'll probably get Fearless Defenders when it comes out

13. Admiral_Young

I'm looking forward to Fearless Defenders. A friend of mine has been reading Journey into Mystery with Sif and loves it, but then Sif is his favourite character so he's a little biased perhaps lol.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Journey Into Mystery with Sif has been really good thus far.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I might check it out too then. I've been curious about the comic version of Sif since Thor came out. I'm debating picking up my first hand full of issue either tonight or tomarrow. I was going to start with Avengers, Fantastic Four, All New X-Men, and Indestructible Hulk.
    EDIT: I just picked up the comics, although I decided to go with Captain Marvel instead of Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed all of them and can't wait to see continue the series.
    Have they revealed what Banner's "insurance" is yet?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Previews for next week courtesy of CBR...

I'll be getting Avengers 3, FF 3, Uncanny Avengers 3, Winter Soldier 14 (Brubaker's last issue), and Young Avengers 1.

17. Admiral_Young

-Avengers #3
    -Deadpool#4
    -FF#3
    -Ultimate Comics Ultimates #20
    -Uncanny Avengers #3
    -Uncanny X-Force #1
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #24

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uncanny Avengers and maybe Young Avengers.

19. Captain Craig

All I'll be getting next week is Punisher: Nightmare #4

Which brings me to issue #3 which I just read.

I'm enjoying the story, the setting, the art and overall it's a really good read. What I'm wondering now after this issue seems to have fully awakened the Johnny Nightmare dual personality that resides in Niman is will he become a full on Punisher recurring foe? Castle could use another one of those imo. Jigsaw is really the best is solo rogues has outside mob boss of the week. With Nightmare's healing properties, twisted psyche and mirror origin of Frank this could be a good semi-recurring foe for Frank. I like the idea but guess we'll have to see how this mini concludes.

Savage Wolverine #1 - Not bad, not great, I'd generously say it's a notch above average but just a notch. Cho's art is always great but I feel for a #1 I need a bit more. I feel fine with the back ground details we got for Shanna and the SHIELD survey team. However, we got nothing for Wolverine and we should've got a nibble of an explanation. He's just dropped in like a character in Predator 3. Except instead of asking questions or discussing with Shanna the last thing he recalls about how he got here he just ignores it, heck SHE ignores it. She asks, "are you here to rescue us" which should be the point when some minimal explanation occurs but no, not here.
    Plus the 8 month gap is a bit much. EIGHT months, no contact with SHIELD HQ, Kevin or anything. Yeah, the dampening field but an active recovery mission should be in place and I swear if after 8 months their best bet was to abduct Logan and drop him in as a last resort explanation it'll be lame. The time frame should've been a month or two at best.
    I'll get issue two just to see if it picks up, otherwise this may be a best in TPB book. The concept can only last so long. Once they can get off the island Logan has ZERO reason to stick around. The pulpy feel is fun though and it was a better #1 than Thunderbolts by a long margin at least.

I know I'm likely the only person reading VALIANT here but Archer & Armstrong #6 was a really great read. The introduction of the new Geomancer in the VU. Their TPB's are really affordable especially at Amazon or IST, I'd recommend them for the curious.

20. JoeZhang

This is why the Punisher doesn't work for me as a Marvel Universe character (but is fine as a Max character) - his only 'superpower' is that he is really really good at killing people - if he has a recurring bad guy, there is only so many times that Frank can miss blasting a guy's face off with a shotgun before you make him look like an idiot.