sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite it's name, ABC Family's stuff seems to be geared more towards teens and adults these days.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Lots of networks have drifted from what their names indicated. The Discovery Channel and The Science Channel have very little science anymore. Lots of networks have drifted so far from what they were originally named for that they've changed their names -- Arts & Entertainment is now just A&E, The Nashville Network became TNN and then SpikeTV!, CourtTV is now the "reality"-based TruTV, and so on.

The problem is that they're commercial networks and are thus dependent on ad revenues to stay in business, and that means they can't stick with specialized niche programming but have all had to drift toward more generic, popular stuff in order to get the advertising dollars they need. It's only premium channels and commercial-free public television that are really able to maintain niche identities.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

When Disney bought the channel from Pat Robertson, there was a contractual clause that the word "family" had to stay in the name. This prevented them from rebranding it XYZ, although they still shifted to targeting teens.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Were they actually going to call it XYZ at one point? I could kind of see that as a counter for ABC.

5. Christopher

^Except at the time Disney bought it, it was called Fox Family Channel -- after Fox Kids Worldwide acquired it in 1997 and renamed it from The Family Channel. It was only after Disney acquired it in 2001 that they renamed it to ABC Family, since they already owned ABC and envisioned ABCF as a dumping ground for reruns of ABC shows. The "XYZ" rebranding was something they considered later on after that initial plan failed.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

More casting for Syfy’s High Moon

7. Christopher

Dana Davis from Heroes? Cool!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I knew about the channel's history. I just meant after ABC bought it.
    Hmmm, the Yama description is actually one of the more interesting ones I've read in a while.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ba dump bump TISH

10. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More casting news out of High Moon:

11. Enterprise is Great

12. Enterprise is Great

NBC Buys ‘Wizard Of Oz’ Drama Emerald City

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Timothy Dalton in Penny Dreadful is awesome!
    Not sure what to make of the Oz series though. It has potential to be be both awesome or a horribly bloody disaster, or maybe even an awesomely horrible disaster.

EDIT: I was just looking at the Wikipedia page for NBC's Dracula, and it says David Knauf, the creator of Carnivale, will be serving as Head Writer/Show Runner. I did not know that.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  14. Enterprise is Great

NBC developing multiple timeline crime drama and body switch thriller

Time To Time

Ricochet

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"Oh boy" ;)

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Good news about Timothy Dalton in Penny Dreadful. The "dark" Oz bit makes me cringe, as any use of the word dark does these days, but I imagine it will be more like a Once Upon A Time copycat.

17. Christopher

Huh? "Star-crossed" is an adjective used for lovers who are doomed never to be together. Hard to see how that fits the described premise. I guess they're connected by some kind of mental link, so maybe that's how they "meet" and fall in love.

Anyway, it reminds me of Awake in terms of the police investigations crossing between two time frames. It should be much easier for the future person to solve the past person's cases, though, since he or she could just look in an old newspaper and see who was finally found guilty. Although I guess it'd mainly be unsolved cold cases, that sort of thing.

(And yes, the headline does say "multiple timelines," but sometimes laypeople use that to mean just different time periods rather than alternate universes.)

18. Enterprise is Great

19. Enterprise is Great

Immaculate Conception Drama From John Glenn Gets Put Pilot Commitment At NBC

20. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks like the Blake's 7 remake is not confirmed for Xbox: