Green Lantern officially has a green light

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Jan 7, 2010.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I got my details crossed. I am quite unfamiliar with a lot of GL. Most of my knowledge on the character, comes from "The Justice League" (pre JLU).

Anyway, still work is we drop the mentor thing, and make the GL himself someone around her age. I'm tired of all this yuppie teen heroes.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

With Charlie McCarthy as Ganthet?

(Now there's a joke that's going to fly over the heads of the younger folks . . . .)

3. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charlie was always too wooden as an actor.

4. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I can agree with this, the recent Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon had Norman Osborn as a brilliant successful supervillain Goblin who took over all of NYC's mobs, whereas in the comics Norman was a failure as a crimeboss. Reinventing a character as more successful can work.

5. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

But at 21, it seems like it is stretching credibility. Being a daddy's girl and having to prove herself during the movie could be a good way to go about it.

It seems that the recent string of DC movies have a tendency to cast their female lead way too young for the character they are playing. Kate Bosworth as a 23 year old accomplished reporter and mother of a 5 year old. Katie Holmes as a 26 year old district attorney in a major metropolitan city in America. I liked them in their respective roles, and I realize they were playing "older", but their young looks were not convincing as "older".

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    She's almost 23 actually, although I agree with your points overall.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing this is a joke post.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Christian Bale and Robert Downey Jr are yuppie teens?

9. Broccoli

Oh, my bad. I thought I read she was 21. Still, I think I point still stands.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, part of Harvey Dent's character is that he was only 26 when he became Gotham's DA. I guess you can chalk it up to what a hellhole Gotham was pre-Batman, or it didn't become a real Large-scale city until Bruce used Wayne Enterprises to expand it.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Well, Rachel wasn't District Attorney of Gotham. She was an Assistant District Attorney. An ADA in her mid to late 20s actually isn't unrealistic.

12. Broccoli

But in a Chicago-like city that the Nolan films portray Gotham as? (I'm not trying to be fan-picky; I just don't know how realistic that would be).

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

ADA's aren't nearly as attractive as Katie Holmes here in Chicago.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Marcia Clark, famous (or infamous) as the lead prosecutor in the O.J. Simpson case, joined the L.A. District Attorney's Office at around the age of 28. An ADA in a major city in her mid to late 20s is within reason. Now, it's not realistic that she'd already be one of the top prosecutors working on high profile cases. At that age she'd just be starting out as a prosecutor, working on run of the mill stuff.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

ADA's usually start right out of law school. Assuming you graduate college at 22 and law school at 25, then 25/26 is spot on for a first year ADA. Of course as others have mentioned a first year ADA wouldn't be prosecuting major cases, but would instead be doing research/writing briefs for more experienced prosecutors.

16. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

But you have to admit, ADR would be a breeze...! :p

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sinestro not gonna be in this one? Maybe Ron Pearlman can don the red makeup again.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Sinestro's in it, too.

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Perlman's the wrong sort of actor for Sinestro; he typically plays gruff meatheads.

Actually, Victor Garber, who voiced him in the recent animated DVD, would be a good choice for a live-action Sinestro.