Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 13 2014, 01:59 AM   #151
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: The 86th Annual Academy Awards

foxhot wrote: View Post
''Genre'' films can also be loosely defined as thrillers, which may give the Oscars reason to discount most of them. And more often than not, thrillers which win Best Picture (THE FRENCH CONNECTION, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN) tend to have their chief villain escape. The directors of FRIDAY THE 13TH and HALLOWEEN films may be wondering what the hell they did wrong.
Genre films could also be loosely defined as all films.
But, they aren't. Certainly not on this board.
Genre films are pretty much sci-fi, fantasy, action.

The point is: Gravity didn't crack any glass that wasn't already cracked by Return of the King. To point a finer point on it: Gravity, while clearly science fiction, is a very realistic movie (in fact, I would say the only fantastical thing in it is Bullock's character being allowed into orbit with her emotional baggage). It's basically Apollo 13.

Then we have Return of the King, with it's elves, it's hobbits, magic, etc.

Certainly more out of the box than many many many Oscar winning films.

I also keep wondering if the Academy wouldn't have voted for an untraditional comedy in 1977 (ANNIE HALL) had STAR WARS not been in the running. A lesser of two ''evils?''
Or, quite possibly, many thought Annie Hall was the best picture of that year--regardless of box office.
Old March 15 2014, 01:33 AM   #152
hbquikcomjamesl
Commander

I have for some time asserted (and I stand by my assertion) that all fiction is genre fiction, in that all works of fiction represent at least one genre. In the unlikely event that a work is utterly unlike any previous work of fiction, the work is not without a genre; it is simply the type-specimen defining new genre (arguably, Coover's "The Babysitter" could be regarded as the type specimen for "contemporary realism with multiple parallel realities"). For a work of fiction to be utterly without a genre, it would have to be utterly indescribable.

And no, Gravity is not Apollo 13. Apollo 13 is a realistic and reasonably accurate representation of real events, based on Lost Moon, Lovell's memoir of that particular mission. I lived through those events (I was 7 years old at the time), and while all I knew at the time was what the television networks and the newspapers covered, I remember the uncertainty over whether the crew would survive. Gravity, on the other hand, is a work of fiction.
hbquikcomjamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16 2014, 07:29 PM   #153
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

It feels like this was directed at my post, if not, then....

hbquikcomjamesl wrote: View Post

And no, Gravity is not Apollo 13. Apollo 13 is a realistic and reasonably accurate representation of real events, based on Lost Moon, Lovell's memoir of that particular mission. I lived through those events (I was 7 years old at the time), and while all I knew at the time was what the television networks and the newspapers covered, I remember the uncertainty over whether the crew would survive. Gravity, on the other hand, is a work of fiction.
Well clearly. It's also a realistic and reasonably accurate representation of what MIGHT happen if it were to be real.

That is why Gravity is LIKE Apollo 13. As in similar.
Old March 17 2014, 06:23 AM   #154
CaptainCanada
Admiral

foxhot wrote: View Post
I also keep wondering if the Academy wouldn't have voted for an untraditional comedy in 1977 (ANNIE HALL) had STAR WARS not been in the running. A lesser of two ''evils?''
The Academy loves Woody Allen, so I doubt the competition was a huge factor.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote