A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, the hardback has both.

2. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

The split paperbacks they release in the UK are so bizarre. The books aren't THAT large.

3. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ IIRC, wasn't ASOS released in 4 books in France? Criminy!

Cheers,
    -CM-

4. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

They split every book into two volumes here in Germany as well. It's a little bit annoying but at least they're consistent and you know you have to get two books for every original release from the start.

5. Hyperspace05

Are they published at the time or do they make you wait for part II?

6. Takeru

They make us wait a little bit, ADWD will be released in may and june. They released new translations of the old books to build up hype for the new one, that's why we're getting it a little bit later, the scond part of AFFC was just Re-released this month.

The new translations are controversial, they eliminated all english names and translated them into german (greyjoy became graufreud, riverrun schnellwasser etc.). I like the change, if the books are in german it makes no sense to keep english names in a fantasy setting that is not an english speaking country.

7. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand the translation of places, cities, castles or nicknames (Hebrew translation had that too), but translating family names? Doesn't sound right to me ... Did the new translation also changed Targaryen, Umber, Clegane and such into something else?

8. Takeru

No, Targaryen is still Targaryen, they changed names when they are easilly recognizable as english words that the average german reader understands. That's why Greyjoy, Snow etc. were translated while Arryn, Lannister etc. remained unchanged.

It really makes a lot of sense to me, it's weird if you read a fantasy novel in german and suddenly stumble over someone named Jon Snow. The surname Snow makes no sense in that context, because the english language doesn't exist in Westeros.
    It's like the translation of The Lord of the Rings where Tolkien instructed the translators to get rid of everything english.

9. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did they translate "Stark"? Because it exists in both german and english but with different meanings.

10. Hyperspace05

For those that are interested, here is a recent 3-part interview/Q&A (1.5 hrs) with GRRM, and at the end of part 3 he reads a new(?) chapter from "Winds of Winter":
    1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S51i0EANGA
    2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGwdWUl25AU
    3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJblxV3QHQ (the chapter reading starts at 30:20 mark)

The POV for the chapter is Victarion - sounds like the first or one of the first chapters of the book.

In part 3 he also gives his opinion on the recent Marvel film adaptations.

11. setvenharis

setvenharis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So...who believes the theory that Jon Snow is not the bastard son of Eddard Stark, but the son of Rhaegar Targaryn and Eddard's sister Lyanna?

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

If it's true, I hope nothing comes of it because Jon decides he will stay with the Night's Watch. Fits the deconstructionist nature of ASOIAF that the "Secret Prince" cliche ends up being irrelevant.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It's the only theory that really fits the mystery backstory pieces we've been given, at least from the clues.

Jon's death at the end of book five (and presumed resurrection) seems pretty specifically something to release him from his vows, so I doubt he'll stay with the Watch at the end (whether there'll be a need for a Watch at all at the end is open to question, if the White Walkers are defeated and the Wildlings are gone, there doesn't seem to be much for the Watch to do on a day-to-day basis).

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly once you figure it out the whole thing seems obvious. Unless it is all one giant misdirection done just to spite the people who really study the books, there is no other answer.

15. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I figured that out halfway through book 1. Nothing I have come across has given me reason to believe otherwise. Why would the Kingsguard stay at the Tower of Joy guarding Lyanna Stark while Prince Viserys was on Dragonstone?

16. Takeru

No, you already said it, it's a word that exists in german so they kept it. It's obvious they really tried to keep as many names as possible, they were only changed when they almost jumped of the page and screamed english. I don't even remember family names other than the Greyjoys and the various bastard's names being changed, it's mostly locations and nicknames (Littlefinger, Hot Pie).

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I guess my problem is that it's just too cliche for the story of ASOIAF, and Jon was never all that great a character as anyone else involved in the War away from the Wall.

18. Hyperspace05

Yeah I don't think GRRM - after spending so much time deconstructing fantasy cliches - is going to have a cliche ending to the saga.

19. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Who says it will even play into the ending? It may remain a mystery to the characters and only become clear to the readers. Jon is either dead or soon to be Azor Ahai reborn which I suspect will change the landscape a bit.

20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

If it does become known, it poses interesting challenges to some of the characters. Daenarys, most obviously, has based her whole mission on the belief that she is the rightful heir to the throne - now, obviously she's planning the conquer the place to assert her right, but she feels she's right in doing that. If (somehow) it's proved that she isn't the rightful heir, what does she do?