2014 MLB Season: How Many Pitchers Will Die For Our Sins?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Javier Baez struck out 3 out of his first 5 at bats, which we're gonna see for a while, but a game winning HR in the 12th makes it a little easier to take.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Oh, NOW you don't like that the fat slob drills people all the time? :guffaw:

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Word is that Rob Manfred is the front-runner to succeed Selig as commissioner, with Tim Brosnan as a dark horse candidate and a small cadre of owners pushing for Tom Werner (chairman of the Red Sox).

Two Selig cronies and a minority owner of a shitty organization. That's a hell of a shit sandwich.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

How 'bout dem Yanks....

2 of 3 Cy Young winners down... should have won all three.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

The only good thing about the Braves west coast road trip is that the games come on too late for me to stay up and watch.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yankees were blacklisted in trade talks for David Price and Jon Lester. Linky

7. Timby

David Lennon is kind of a shitheel and has made stuff up before just for kicks (he's also a blatant homer), so I'm taking this with a grain of salt. That being said, the Yahoo writer raises a good point in that there was no way the Yankees were ever going to land any of Boston or Tampa Bay's pitchers -- as I've said multiple times in this thread, they have no chits of real value to trade, because their closest prospects are still at least two years away and it's not like anyone was going to trade a Price-level pitcher for Ichiro's corpse or whatever.

In other news, the Cubs are the #mysteryteam that won the claim on Hamels yesterday. Hamels in a Cubs uniform would be cool.

8. Use of Time

That would be cool. Did they claim Byrd too?

9. Timby

The Cubs already had the Marlon Byrd Experience once, I doubt they're looking for an encore. :lol:

10. Use of Time

Yeah, I just saw an article where it said they had both been claimed but not by who. Thought the Cubs might have gotten overly nostalgic for a minute.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Byrd might've been a good clubhouse presence, but that's about it.

I only see where the Cubs put in a claim on Hamels. Is he worth anything the Cubs might have to give up?

On the plus side, Baez & Castro just had back to back dingers. I hope to see a lot more of that. Maybe Baez makes Castro better.

12. Timby

He's signed to a relatively exorbitant contract, but Rube is a barely functional moron, so I wouldn't be shocked if he took Vitters and Brett Jackson for Hamels.

Honestly, though, I think this was the Cubs' gameplan all all along. They are fucking stacked in terms of prospects -- to the point that they keep having to change everyone's positions in the minors just to have a spot for them in the majors (Alcantara and Baez for sure; Russell is blocked by Castro, and I will bet money that they're praying Olt and his service dog figure out how to get on base so they can flip him and make room for Bryant).

The Cubs have a pretty solid farm. Instead of getting caught up in the free agent feeding frenzy (although I'm sure they'll make runs at Price and Lester and Scherzer), they're going to try to flip prospects for pitching. They'll make a legit offer. Whether the Phillies accept it is another question.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Baez gets a 2 homer game. He's got such a big, yet quick swing.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, but no shit. You're somehow shocked that your two division rivals didn't want to trade their best player to you? Especially since you had absolutely NOTHING to offer in return, so fun to say blacklisted, but even if you weren't, you had nothing to actually TRADE.

So, what was your point again?

Pretend you had a star pitcher on the Yankees in the last year of his deal, and you planned to trade him. Would you consider the Red Sox? If the answer isn't No or Hell No, would you still consider them if their best prospect to offer wouldn't crack the top 20-25 in your farm system? How about if teams in other divisions or leagues were offering legit prospects and/or young major league players? Did you technically have to blacklist the Sox or Rays, or were they just never really in the conversation to begin with? And all things being equal with offers, you'd rather send them to the NL than the Sox/Rays anyway, so really a non-starter.

If the Yankees had a farm system, or young ML players signed to decent contracts, you could say someone took a lesser deal to not have to deal with you. Since you didn't have anything to offer, people don't want to trade quality with you. Just buy some more FAs and get over it. If you want Lester, just throw $200M at him in November...

15. Yanks

^^ Exactly.

Break...

Shane Greene is doing pretty well, great outting last night.

I see a future for this kid in pin-stripes.

...and he came from our FARM SYSTEM...

Didn't think we had one of those.

16. Timby

He's 25 and just made his way out of the minors, which makes him pretty much ancient in terms of being a prospect. Great start last night, but he got tarred and feathered this season in AAA, so let's wait for a larger sample size than six starts.

17. Yanks

Not giving the kid the CY Young yet :lol:

Sounds like apitching coach problem at AAA.

But.... his only loss came because Girardi left him in too long (120 pitches if I remember coreectly).

Some people just need a challange.

18. Timby

Well, as we've discussed many times, pitcher wins and losses are meaningless particularly for starters (well, losses have a small amount of statistical relevance, but they still aren't an effective gauge for a guy's talent or performance) -- in fact, that loss to Texas was only his third-worst performance of the season, not his worst. His ground / fly ratio is worrisome and I'm not convinced that his K / 9 rate is sustainable unless he develops a reliable third pitch (his changeup is awful and he shouldn't even bother with his hilarious attempts at sinkers). He's not awful but his peripherals, combined with his rather poor pitch economy, are cause for concern considering he's 25 and has already had Tommy John. His numbers are also a tad skewed given that he's been able to throw against Cleveland, Baltimore and Boston (all of whom have had prolonged offensive slumps this year ... or in Boston's case they just suck out loud).

19. Yanks

I'll just say "wins and losses are meaningless particularly for starters" is poppy cock. Not saying other numbers aren't important too, but how a pitcher "scatters hits" and gets himself out of trouble is as important as anything else.

Mo went through most of his career with one pitch.

Baltimore has one of the best hitting 1-7 around. It could be that his good pitching was a reason for a "slump".

I think already having TJ might be a plus. At least we aren't waiting for the inevidable 1st one to come.

I'm with ya on Boston though :lol::devil:

20. Timby

Yes, and that's reflected in other statistics. A pitcher can't win a game on his own (although he can lose one, which is why I said losses have a tiny bit of statistical relevance, which is more than wins have -- a pitcher can't win a game unless the offense scores runs). A win is "the rest of the guys scored more runs than I gave up" -- and that's not a statistic that a pitcher has any meaningful control over. There are statistical outliers like no-hitters (although A.J. Burnett once threw one while walking nine dudes -- that was not what anyone would call a great performance) but in the grand scheme of things wins and losses don't tell you the story.

As I've pointed out before, Jeff Samardzija was one of the top three pitchers in the National League during the first few months of the season and he didn't get a win until June 7.

Yes, and Mo pitched the ninth inning -- he wasn't a starter. It also helped that he was the greatest reliever of all time and had a fucking ridiculous cutter.

Baltimore's bats have been quiet since the start of July, with Chris Davis having the worst run of his career, Manny Machado looking lost at the plate and Hardy having an inexplicable power outage (and Cruz's batting average has fallen back to Earth, as well). I'm an O's fan but they've been winning on prayers, toothpicks and duct tape for the last 45 days.

This may surprise you, but elbows that have already had a UCL replaced are not, historically speaking, more stable than pre-surgery elbows. All I'm saying is that there's a reason Greene was stuck in the minors until he was 25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.