STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The film has already done better overseas than ST(2009) and has yet to open in some markets. It's only US$30m or so behind ST(2009) so it should easily surpass ST(2009) and takins with a box office in the region of US$400-450m. PAramount will be happy with that.

The only market it might underperform in is the US market, that doesn't mean it's done bad. At the end of the day Paramount won't mind if the money comes fro the US market or elsewhere in the world.

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

If comes in closer to $400m, I don't expect "happy" will be the pervasive emotion at Paramount. Possibly, "disappointed but OK with it" would be closer to the mark.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  3. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

425-475m, probably closer to 425m is my guess world wide.

No chance at 500m, unless its a miracle.

It'll be doubling its budget easily WW, but domestic is disappointing. The foreign take seems very good for a historically poor OS franchise, it bodes well for future installments.

4. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am disappointed with audience in the USA. I think the place with the highest concentration of hard trekkers in the world and ST 2009 pleased many non trekkers in USA too.
    I expected an small increase box office outside USA, but I did not expect a smaller domestic audience than Star Trek. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think the hardcore did turnout. I just think the advertising wasn't done in a way that piqued general audience interest.

6. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thare too many bigger franchises out there competing for a movie audience. Lets face it, Fast and Furious and Iron Man have a bigger fan follwoing among sci-fi / fantasy fans and the general public than Trek.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look, this "disappointing turnout" is $80,000,000 more than First Contact managed by this point in its domestic run - and that's adjusting FC's take for inflation.

Do you honestly think there are more Star Trek fans in the United States today than there were in the mid-1990s?

American fans are supporting this movie big time, just as they did the first Abrams film - and beyond that, millions of other people are turning out for it too.

The fact that it's not hitting the numbers the studio might have hoped doesn't mean that response to it so far has been somehow lacking in this country. It means that the studio overreached in its expectations. Ten years ago, there was no reason to think that Trek could be made successful in theaters again at all - ever.

8. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

Buzzkill, leave the guy be, He just wants to dream of a world without JJ Abrams' Star Trek, he'll probably even think that $80,000,000 domestic is the new 1 cent turnout.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

FRANCHISE FATIGUE! :lol:

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I think we should just accept box office on this movie is probably going to come in at what can honestly be described as "disappointing" in some sense, while simultaneously realising it's still doing/done terrific business relative to most of the other films - and Star Trek's perceived standing amongst the general populace.

When all's said and done, Paramount will definitely make a very tidy profit from this film, and likely produce a third in association with Bad Robot. Honestly, who knows what'll happen to that one - maybe the "planets will align" for it to become the "mega success" the studio craves for this franchise.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

They're counting the same number of full days in release. The Wednesday night sneaks for STiD and the Thursday night sneaks for Star Trek aren't counted as days in release for that purpose. That revenue is just rolled into the total. STiD's 18 days in release are from Thursday the 16th May to Sunday the 2nd June, while Star Trek's are from Friday the 8th May 2009 to Monday the 25th May 2009. The comparison will sometimes be skewed because of the different release patterns for the two films.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

$328.5 Million WW....only $56 million away from ST09's grand total for it's entire run in just over 3 weeks...now that's a success!

RAMA

13. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

well actually STO9 is closer to $ 408-10 million in today prices so SID need a least $80 million to overtake STO9.

14. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I think there is a chance of $460m ww personally. Hopefully we make it to that, but we won't know till August.

15. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

que así sea. So be it.

16. Stardate

Stardate Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If SID just past $450 ww it would be great and big news would be great overseas mumbers. For the the next movie. I would advice JJ to realase Trek in december. Trek just has hard time going aganist the big summer flicks. Just my 2 cents.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well look at the reality of the situation: ST09's 3rd week was Memorial Day weekend, and in 3 days, It made $22 million. STID made $16.8 million in 3 days on a regular 3rd weekend with lots of competition AND in 500 FEWER theaters for that weekend. Pretty impressive.

China alone may have made $27-30 million last week too. That's a huge bump for international numbers.

RAMA

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well that's not a problem, it'll make another $30-40 million WW this week.

RAMA

19. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Another variable in play is a potential blockbuster that is a bust by word of mouth as will be the case with "After Earth", it creates an unplanned whole in the movie schedule, so word of mouth helps Trek with slower and steady climb.
    Saw it again yesterday the theater was about 1/2 full and the audience seemed to enjoy it with their sporadic interaction.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

STiD went up in the actuals: $16,780,895 for a total of $181,537381 to date. It ended up just above the actual for Epic ($16,616,310).