Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've noticed he makes every movie look really bold and exciting and dynamic. And he populates them with lots of fun and energetic characters.

I certainly agree that his Trek was not the deepest or most complex thing ever, but it still had much more heart and character than the usual summer blockbuster. And he somehow managed to make the 40 year old Trek universe feel incredibly fresh and alive again, which is no small feat either.

I can't wait to see him do the same thing with SW.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

BTW, according to the L.A. Times and the folks at Paramount today, Abrams is a lock to produce the next Trek movie if they do one. If he doesn't direct it, one of his people will.

3. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

:devil: *grabs the popcorn and readies herself to watch a fight*

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

On other hand, it's worth remembering that this stuff is supposed to be fun . . . or what's the point? You don't want to take it so to heart that you're not enjoying yourself anymore.

As somebody reminded me once, babies will not die for this. :)

5. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Wars is not the future. It was a long time ago.

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

That's horrible. Wanting to spit in someone's face because their style isn't to your liking is absurd. If Abrams was making borderline propaganda films or something I'd understand, a little, the hate, but this is completely out of proportion.

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Yeah spitting in the guy's face is a bit of an over-reaction.

Maybe try flicking a booger at the back of his head and go from there.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before the dark times. Before the Internet.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why not just stuck your tongue out or call him a doo doo head?

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I already called dibs on those.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

The EU? You mean the EU in the books, that only a tiny percentage of the movie going public purchases?

Yeah... not enough people care about the EU to matter.

Let the internet burn down.

12. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

ST:TMP was boring as shit. Star Trek: First Contact was awesome. A Piece of the Action was a sweet TOS episode.

I'm really tired of people telling me that "real" Star Trek has to be cerebral and moral and teach me a lesson about the human condition every step of the way. Star Trek is many things, that's the beauty of it and why it has endured.

What did "Where No Man Has Gone Before" teach me, to not cross the galactic barrier? That the day might come where I might have to kill my friend if he becomes a freak Space Mutant God?

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Being that nothing really happened in the prequels that I would even consider a spoiler, I think it would be a step up if it had some mystery. Mystery means there is a plot.

And I'm a Star Wars fan, a friend of mine is a Star Wars fan, my grandma is a huge Star Wars fan. All three of us combined have never read a Star Wars novel, couldn't tell you a single thing about them. So fuck the books, make an entertaining movie. The people who will bitch and moan about every little damn thing will be the same ones camping out for a week to be the first to watch it.

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

They also officially confirmed that Lawrence Kasdan will be a consultant on the film. It's a pretty good crew they've assembled with Abrams at the helm.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope Artoo and C3po finally do it.

This will they won't they shit is for the birds.

17. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

I'm tired of Abrams. He is really overrated. Most of the stuff he is associated with is pretty shallow,,,which is fine if it entertaining but in my opinion it is not.

it is just a bunch of ADHD pacing where you really can't appreciate what's going on, gimmicks like flashbacks, twists cliffhangers in place of coherent storytelling. Characters who are plot devices and stories that are emotionally vacuous.

fringe was a mediocre series,,,hardly in the pantheon of solid sff shows. Undercover spy on NBC was bland. Star trek was a pitiful film with a weak villain, plotholes galore and no heart. His most recognizable show being lost ultimately was an overly complicated gimmicky convoluted mess with no coherence and way too many characters to care about. Alcatraz was more of the same mystery hand waving and was rightfully canned.

18. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

Not every step of the way, but having it as a underlying theme on occasion is nice. Even the worst of the original 10 had this on some level. Nemesis had nature vs. nurture elements, Generations had regret. These elements don't define the story but they are generally present. Not so with ST 09

19. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Fatherhood. Kirk was a rebellious little shit because his father died, but he got in line when he had a surrogate father (Captain Pike) to live up to, as well as the legacy his own father set. Then there's Spock, who wants to be the best Vulcan he can and take after his father's side of the family, but has trouble keeping his human emotions in check.

How do people continually say that ST09 had no themes whatsoever?

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock came out of the closet in the last movie, TOS allegory style. TOS fanboys who worship the original for it's allegories totally missed it. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.