MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Damn, Dickeymania isn't looking so hot tonight.

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Jeepers, what a weird trade.

I can see what the Red Sox see in Stewart, as he's a nice reclamation project and a decent little haul. I don't know what the fuck Cherington wants with a 28-year-old Lillibridge, though, considering his only value is his defense. And instead of trying to get some lottery ticket low-level prospect as a throw-in, the Sox are eating money, too? The maximum upside here is that Stewart winds up as a barely competent 4/5 starter, but he's still stuck in AAA at 25. (Well, best case is he's a better starter than Daniel Bard, but then again, most AAA pitchers are.)

In a vacuum, it just doesn't make any sense to trade a still-valuable piece for a guy with a career ERA of 6 and a 28-year-old whose second position listed on Baseball Reference is "pinch runner." Crawford's going to be out for another month, just stash Youkilis in left and hope his offense rebounds, instead of trading him at his lowest career point with more than a month to go before the deadline.

Ordinarily, I'd say that it's a gamble for the White Sox, considering Youkilis' health is a serious red flag and his bat speed is slowing considerably, but he isn't going to have a hard time beating Orlando Hudson's .250 OBP, and considering how little they gave up, it's a decent deal for them. The only downside I can see is that with Konerko, Dunn, Pierzynski and Youkilis, that has to be the slowest team in the majors.

Kenny Williams is the most schizophrenic GM.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering why Youkilis was getting traded until I saw Will Middlebrooks play on TV all weekend. He's better than Youk and deserves that spot.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, at this point Middlebrooks is clearly the better option. I'm going to miss Youkilis, but it was time for a change. And I really wasn't expecting a huge return for him, given his age, recent health issues, and declining stats. So a decent utility infielder and an inconsistent pitcher with high upside isn't too awful, IMO. I don't know if both Nick Punto and Brent Lillibridge will still be wearing a Red Sox uniform in August, though. They seem kind of redundant.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love watching Bryce Harper of the Nats. Interesting stat comparing him and Mickey Mantle at the same age. He's better than the Mick in some stats. I also like Mike Trout of the Angels. I predict he'll be the Tim Salmon of this decade.

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

That's a fishy prediction, but will the scales balance out?

7. SmoothieX

I'm floundering for a response to that.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Like I said, there's no reason to trade Youkilis at his absolute lowest point of his career with more than a month before the deadline. And it's not like Youkilis was blocking Middlebrooks, because nothing in the world says they had to be playing the exact same position -- just stash Youkilis in left, or put Middlebrooks in right (unless you think it's imperative to get guys like Nava, Kalish, McDonald, and Ross playing time. I don't think it's very necessary, but apparently the Sox do).

It just makes no sense to trade Youkilis right now, when at the deadline, they could have put some pressure on teams who needed a guy with a great career at the plate and isn't into his twilight years. At the very least, they could have taken a flyer on some A ball or AA player who at least has a shot of turning into something, rather than two guys who on their best days are a utility guy and a 5th starter.

And the Boston smear machine is already in full gear, with "unnamed" officials saying Youkilis was a clubhouse cancer. Go figure.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Red Sox traded Youkilis before Schilling could hit him up for a loan. :p

10. Kirby

The Rockies just reassigned their pitching coach, Bob Apodaca, to the position of special assistant to the General Manager. It's a good start, but G.M. Dan O'Dowd now needs to be reassigned to special assistant to the guy who sells cotton candy.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V06ullKogI[/yt]

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

MLB Network was reporting he asked to be reassigned. I don't blame him. The "plan" they have set up is absolutely ridiculous.

13. Kirby

Yeah, just heard that too. This 75 pitch count nonsense is a last grasp at reigning in their ineffective starters, and at the same time they're going to kill some decent relievers. It's too bad really because on paper, the line-up is pretty decent. This season is a write-off and they need to take a look at all of their pitching prospects in both Colorado Springs and Tulsa.

14. SmoothieX

That Freddie Sez guy was a total fucking asshole. I wanted to shoot him anytime he cme near my section with his stupid spoon. He should be reassisgned as special assistant to my dog's anus.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Oh crapola. Pettitte AND Sabathia go on the disabled list? :brickwall:

Smoothie, you are aware that Freddy has been dead for almost two years now?

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yup :( The sort of bright side is that Freddie Garcia was looking good out there today. With a little bit of luck they may be able to pull something together.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Is it just me, or does Freddy Garcia look Cardassian? :cardie:

Edit: Wow...Mets shellack Cubs 17-1... :wtf:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

They got their clocks cleaned, to put it mildly. Samardzija gave up nine earned on his own.

19. SmoothieX

Good job on the 17 runs. I was going to flip out if the lost all 3 to the hot steaming mess known as the Cubs.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing like a 3 game SHUTOUT sweep of the Dodgers, with Tim Lincecum showing signs of the old Tim Lincecum. I understand the Dodgers are depleted right now, but they were in first place, and they are still a major league team. To shut them out in all three games is no easy task. Looking forward to this 4 game series against the Reds, and to maybe Shut that clown Aroldis Chapmen up. Ok, so he's not really a Clown, but that whole somersult thing he did last night looked weird and a little busch league.