Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just checked the amazon blur for destiny and it seems to be far more explicit than before (so I've put this in a separate thread so nobody gets spoilt by surprise).

The Borg return -- with a vengeance! Blitzkreig attacks by the single-minded aliens with their hive mentality and their mission to assimilate every intelligent being they encounter are leaving whole worlds aflame. No one knows how they are slipping past Starfleet's defences, so Captain Jean-Luc Picard and the Enterprise crew are detailed to find out -- and to put a stop to it if they can. Meanwhile, thousands of light years away, Captain Will Riker and the crew of the Titan follow bizarre energy pulses to a mysterious, hidden world. There they find a figure out of legend: a Starfleet captain long thought dead. And at the same time, over in the Gamma Quadrant, newly promoted Captain Dax and her crew investigate the wreck of the Earth starship Columbia NX-02, missing in action for more than two centuries.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

I have to say that this doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

More Borg (why, oh why?); a Starfleet Captain long thought dead, (Pike? Kirk? Hernandez? Janeway?); and Captain Dax? Sorry, but Ezri never struck me as the leadership type, unless we have yet another host.

The only thing I do like so far is the fact that the Columbia has been found 200 years after it went missing.

Hopefully, Mack can make the Borg seem like a decent enemy once again and follow on from Christopher's Greater Than The Sum in fixing the TNG relaunch.

I said it before, and I will say it again. Having a massive crossover like this will either provide brilliant new stories to tell for the dozen book lines we have, or sound the death knell for Trek Lit. I'm hoping for the former, but we'll just have to see.

3. A_C_C

A_C_C Lieutenant Red Shirt

Given that my question do reveal the spolers I decided to put them

1.Who would be the captain?
    My bet is on Sulu or Hernandez
    2. Why I get the feeling that the appearance of the NX-02 is going to be connected to the "Kobayashi Maru" novel?
    I have the theory that the Columbia is going to be destroyed in the "Kobayashi Maru" novel

4. Kopernikus

Kopernikus Commander Red Shirt

Where exactly did you find this? I didn't find anything at Amazon.com in the Destiny's descriptions. But if this is indeed some kind of early Backcover-Text, it's not particulary full of surprises, considering the end of Before Dishonor.

Edit:

And BTW, it's Blitzkrieg, not -kreig, that word doesn't exist at all ;)

5. JoeZhang

but dishonor is being followed up by "greater than the sum" - which I was hoping would wrap up the borg stuff but it seems that's TNG is "all borg, all of the time" - for whatever reason, pocket books seem intent on totally kicking the arse out of the concept.

I found it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Destiny-Gods-Night-Star-Trek/dp/1416551719/ref=pd_sbs_b_title_5

That's amazon for ya. :)

6. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds like an interesting book I will have to pick it up.

7. JoeZhang

I'm all borg'd out, I'm sick of reading about them.

8. Scott Pearson

Scott Pearson Writer Captain

Yo, Mack! You reading this? Care to comment on this early jacket copy?

After all, we all know Amazon's reputation for spot-on accuracy.

Or will you tell me to piss off, you're trying to finish the damn books . . .

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Yes, I am.

No, I don't.

Yes, I will.

10. Scott Pearson

That is exactly the response I was expecting.

In this crazy uncertain world, I somehow find that comforting.

Imagine that . . . drawing comfort from Mack.

I find that disturbing.

Comfort has become disturbing.

It is a crazy world.

11. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bah. While the expressions "David Mack" and "let-down" are ill juxtaposed, I, too, have OD'ed quite rapidly on this new (so to speak) wave of Borg stories. The thought that Destiny will once again be Borg-centric is like a big red 'stop' sign for my enthusiasm for the event. So, I'm going to hope that this blurb is not accurate, and if it is, trust in Mack to make a tepid premise kick-ass in the execution.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

12. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Guys, if Destiny was "just another Borg story," I wouldn't be writing it. I'd have done something else. I agreed to spend more than a year of my life on this project because I felt it was worth doing. Have a little faith.

Si, se puede!

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shit. :mad: Stick a fork in the Borg already - they're done.

It better not be Kirk. Frankly, outside of ST XI, I'm sick of hearing about him. (Almost as much as I'm sick of hearing about the fucking BORG already.)

If it is Ezri, how did she make Captain so fast? Is she the next Kirk? :p

I am really getting tired of this endless procession of Borg stories. (People used to say that Voyager beat that premise into the ground? If they only knew. :lol: ) If, however, Destiny does to the TrekLit-verse what I keep hearing it will - chop it up, put it into a blender, and spit it back out again - then maybe we will finally, once and for all, see the total and complete and utter END of the little bastards.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I can safely say that there's nothing tepid about the premise of Destiny.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit, I am really interested to know one thing:
    how exactly the hell the Columbia wound up in the Gamma Quadrant, given that no one will discover the wormhole for 200 years after it was built. And I also hope that Hernandez doesn't get killed off in the process. :( I liked her. She was hot.

16. Scott Pearson

I have the faith, man!

Bring on the Big Bad Aaassss Destiny!

Testify!

17. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Oh, but it's so much more fun to grab hold of one or two factoids from a historically unreliable source, and mercilessly excoriate your year's hard work without having seen the first word of it. :beer:

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Despite the fact that the book does feature the Borg, I'm still pretty excited because the other stuff sounds pretty cool IMO. So am I the only one who actually like the idea of Captain Ezri Dax? After all, she was a Commander, and the second officer of DS9/the Defiant when we saw her last, four (five) years before this, so it's not totally ridiculous for her to be a Captain now.
    Would it be ok if I put this up on Memory Beta, or should a wait for a more official description?

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least I know I can come here for at least one good laugh a week from the writers. I'm looking forward to this series.