Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Thank you Christopher and Greg Cox.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

The biggest problem with SHIELD is that its just a generic spy show that happens to take place in the Marvel movie universe. While the Thor tie in episode is probably the most interesting episode they've had in awhile, I've realized that Coulson is the only thing that's keeping me watching. As soon as whatever happened to him is revealed, I'll probably just stop watching. I just kind of unconsciously tune out most of the episodes right now when Coulson isn't the focus. I usually don't realize it until I look up from a book and see that I just skipped most of the episode and really don't care (which is basically what I did for most of the Ward/Nerd guy mission a few episodes ago, I watched all of the hub stuff but mostly ignored the Ward stuff). The show crossed the threshold of being too generic to me, its trying way too hard to try to make literally every TV viewer happy. Its so bland its trying to get every audience, and so its not doing anything particularly worthy of the license.

I think if they replaced everyone but Coulson and May with interesting characters and had them actually sometimes do SHIELD stuff (like fight Hydra or take down someone who is more than just vaguely supervillain related) it could have been good, but I've about given up hope for this show. Its obvious that Whedon's name is basically just slapped on to make his fans watch, he either isn't too involved or has almost no influence compared to the corporate people who want to try to please the people who also watch all 5 million crime dramas already. I'm a huge Whedon fan, but this honestly feels about as far from a Whedon show/project as you can get. I'll stick around until Coulson's secret is revealed, and just get through the stuff that is so bland that, names aside, it could literally be on any spy show/movie ever.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. The "Did I fall asleep" bit must have come from Whedon himself since it's the signature catch phrase from Dollhouse. So I guess he has some input into the script.

"The Well" was also noteworthy to me because it was directed by Jonathan Frakes apparently.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

You're forgetting that AoS's showrunners, Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, were themselves producers on Dollhouse. Of course Joss W. has supervisory input into the whole series, but he's hardly the only Dollhouse veteran involved.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Or far more famously, Cap's shield is made out of it. Lot more people likely got the reference there, as it was part of both the Captain America and Iron Man 2 movies. Would imagine that's where they intended the reference to go, don't need to be a comic book super-fan to catch it.

Show's just kinda *there* for me. It's not bad, but not especially good, either. Not driving me away, but really needs to DO something to keep me coming back. So very generic at the moment, and just trading on its trademarks and brand name so far.

Needs more *something*. Little more bold direction, spend some budget dollars on some super-powered people, something. Name-dropping Thor isn't quite enough to sustain a show.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Cap's shield is an alloy of vabrium and adamantium.

If the worlds vabrium supply blew up a couple years ago, why was caps shield ignored?

7. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Science.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There she goes again! She's tidied up and I can't find anything!

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The Dec 10 episode, "The Bridge", is described as a mid-season cliffhanger and will see the return of the Centipede Group as well as J. August Richards' character Michael Peterson from the pilot.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I was wondering if the producers were planning for the worst and revealed Coulson's secret before the 13 initial episodes are up (they are picking up speed on that storyline) or if they gambled and are saving it up for the season finale.

So far each episode shows more and more mystery about Tahiti so i began thinking when the lid will be blown.

12. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I first saw the episode title, my mind instantly jumped to the prospect of G. W. Bridge popping up on the show, but I think he falls well within the Fox X-Men properties due to his close ties with Cable and X-Force.

I do welcome the return of J. August's character and the shift toward longer story arcs.

13. Guy Gardener

I want to see the cast of Community as the Inhuman Royal Family.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Jeff as Black Bolt and Dean Pelton as Maximus?

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Cap's real shield didn't appear in IM2 (not sure what the story behind the techy one is...could have been a prototype for one of the aborted attempts to revive the super-soldier project while Cap was on ice), and I can't recall vibranium having been name-dropped in that film.

In the comics...in the movie they just said it was vibranium...probably to avoid issues with FOX.

16. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'm cautiously optimistic. If there's anything that needs a kick to get moving, it's the Centipede plot. Girl in the Flower Dress was better than the pilot, but I think it's missing something.

I hope so. At least as a "second chance" renewal. I feel the show is good enough to support two years even if not much more than that. What's the Marvel movie timeline? How far will two years get you? Ideally, I'd like the show to last until Avengers 3 and then get cut off.

I know very little about him. In fact, I thought you were talking about the actual bridge for a second. However, looking at wikipedia, he seems fairly evenly split, so there might be a good argument for SHIELD - particularly since I don't think the X-Men would care to use him and because he doesn't seem to have superpowers.

ETA: I meant to say this earlier before the updated news. I really appreciated that the Asgardian was a mason before a soldier and had less contact with Thor than Coulson did. It really puts into perspective the conversations in the movie about taking the battle with the Dark Elves away from Asgard so more wouldn't lose their lives. It would be people like Dr. Randolph that would get killed in the fighting, not Thor.

Also, I literally just got the significance of the episode title (although I hadn't thought about it much before).

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  17. Guy Gardener

How much did G.W's parents hate their son to name him George Washington Bridge?

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or George Walker Bridge.

Edit: I see what you did there. I've been a little slow all day.

19. Guy Gardener

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral