Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Dec 12, 2012.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Will there be an explaination for how enterprise can go underwater

Well, none aside from my own of course. But I'll complain about anything Abrams related, he has a lot to answer for making Trek popular and successful. Where are the complaints from Trek's legitimate peanut gallery? The ones so outraged when they heard "Klingon Warbird" in Broken Bow?

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

If?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know...
    When Janeway told us her crew could modify the Voyager in one week to go miles underwater, It didn't really bother me. Meh:shrug:

Was there an uproar from the fans due to her saying the ship could do that?

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hardly.

I never had any patience with the online whinging about Berman and/or Braga.

My doubts about one of these ships underwater have to do with the propulsion systems, but in the face of a lack of information in that area - so far - I don't see the kvetching about whether the ships are designed to withstand that kind of an environment as anything other than stupid.

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Yeah -- Logic and what I think the "real world" Star Trek propulsion systems would be make me think the ships would not be able to move around underwater -- but that would be my own ideas on the subject in the absence of any Star Trek precedence on the subject.

However, we DO have Star Trek precedence that starships CAN be maneuvered underwater, so my logical assumptions of how the propulsion system works is not relevant. Apparently, there would be propulsion.

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. The people who complained about the "Klingon Warbird" are the same people who are complaining about sea ship Enterprise, and those who rolled their eyes before, are the same people rolling their eyes now.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You mean like village-sized holoship in Insurrection? No only did they do it, but they did it in such a bland fashion you forgot it ever happened!!:lol:

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I would think this isn't the typical way to handle a starship, and Scotty probably made some modifications to whatever systems keep the ship trim in atmospheric flight and he modified the thrusters in some way to provide some form of propulsion (though they seem more "parked" there than moving around).
    A combination of the atmospheric flight stabilizers being used as ballast in water along with the modified thrusters would lower the ship, then raise it out of the water to assume "normal" atmospheric flight.

It's just technobabble. ;)

Edited to add: And, if you needed a scene with hyperbole to more or less signify that over the previous year, Kirk and his crew were experiencing "non-standard" missions, throwing Spock into the middle of a volcano that's about to erupt and putting the Enterprise at the bottom of an ocean like it's no big deal would certainly serve that purpose.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  9. Jackson_Roykirk

Yes.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Enterprise and her crew were just flying around through space and happened to come across this planet with a volcano problem, and figured they would stop and do something about it right then and there.

I think they were probably sent on that specific mission by Starfleet/The Federation, and the Enterprise may have been modified in specific ways for this mission's plan -- a plan that specifically could have called for the Enterprise being required to hide in the water.

10. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, how do thrusters work under water?

11. Locutus of Bored

They're fusion rockets. Since rockets aren't air-breathing like jet engines, they work just fine underwater.

12. Arpy

Yeah but messy, no?

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope (and feel pretty confident) we won't get some sort of lengthy exposition about how the ship was modified to go underwater, blah, blah, blah… Scotty's little bit of whining, as seen in the 9 min. preview, is all that is needed.

14. Jackson_Roykirk

I don't know. However, the Delta Flyer had thrusters that worked underwater (with some modifications), and Janeway said the Voyager would be able to go miles underwater with some modifications.

I would think the Enterprise may be able to be modified to do the same.

15. Locutus of Bored

If you're a fish directly in the path of the exhaust, sure. Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean. Messy internally? It's all self-contained and sealed up, so I don't see why. Messy environmentally? The water would cool the exhaust down fairly quickly and dampen (no pun intended) its effects after a short distance, so it shouldn't cause too much damage as long as they don't blast off in a reef or some endangered alien kelp or anything.

16. Worfmonger

Worfmonger Commander Red Shirt

I'm in with the idea that Enterprise could of course withstand a few atmospheres worth of pressure as provided by submergence in sea water. Why not? Hull design and structural integrity fields provide protection against rapidly fluctuating and extreme pressures and stresses within spitting distance of a singularity, ffs. She isn't going miles underwater, so I doubt she would need extensive modification of any sort (a la Voyager), apart from possibly something with her thrusters.

This has all been mentioned previously, of course, but I'm quite late to the party and all my thoughts have pretty much been previously stated. :cool:

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

They use the isopalavial interface to reroute the auxiliary power to the firomactal drive.

18. Arpy

Well they're not using propellors. If they're firing hot exhaust powerful enough to move a fifty story starship... That's gonna move a lot of water and mud around how they parked it and maybe break the rock face they're lying on. And yeah, kill a lot of sea life. And leave a lot of whatever they exhaust in the water.

EDIT: Mirrorball, you're not getting my meaning.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

The same way warp engines work in space.

[​IMG]

20. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

You're not getting his meaning.