Tron: What do the different colors mean?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Sketcher, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's what I was thinking - that Sam and his old man before him were basically "replicated" in the Grid - so if they were cut - they bled. If they died, they died, they didn't de-rez

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's was Kevin's 1982 philosophy...by within a few years, he already had plenty of money, and was working on his own little world. And didn't the ISO's appear BEFORE he got trapped? If so, by that time (and when Sam was old enough to comprehend stories), Kevin's attitude toward money might have changed.

At that point, money was nice, but not the end all (as opposed to livin large CEO of 1983).

And certainly Sam had lived his whole life WITH lots o money, and saw how meaningless it was (which led him to his daredevil liestyle..which to me, really made his "action hero" stunts in the Grid believable to me). i think Daddy Flynn would understand, especially if it seemed lke the Corporate attitude had come back into power (as it apparently had; Sam had controlling interest, but a typical Corporate exec ran the day-to-day, and in effect EnCom as the "true" CEO)

So by 1992, Sam was taught a certain philosophy of life, and the 2010 Sam probaby was indeed going the way his father intended (adjustng for the fact that Dad was gone during even more formative years of high school and college).

Deledrius likes this.
  3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sure, you can rationalize it in-universe, at least within the context of the sequel's universe. I'm looking at it more metatextually, thinking about the differences in intention between the original filmmakers and the sequel's filmmakers. See, I waited to see Legacy until I could get my hands on a copy of the original, so I could watch them on consecutive days. And that turned out to be a mistake, because it just highlighted all the differences in concept and approach between the two. Back to back, the two films just don't feel like they go together. The changes were kind of jarring.

But you make a good argument. Maybe in the future I'll have a higher opinion of Legacy. But I'm not sure it lives up to its name. It's too revisionist, too different in approach, to really feel like it's carrying on the legacy of the original.

Deledrius likes this.
  4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I last saw Tron at least 15 years ago, maybe longer. So i have the memories of a 10 year old seeing it, and the decades-long anticipation of a new movie, similar to my anticipation to new Star Wars movies.

But having that comparison, Legacy definitely felt more in line of what I remember with the original, and actually more "mature" than I remmeber the first. Contrast to The Phantom Menace, which felt lke a let down, with a child Anakin and goofy Jar Jar.

Legacy didn't have such silliness to deflate my anticipation.

That probably won't change your viewing of Legacy in the future -- but hope you understand my (and others) appreciation of Legacy.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, sure, you're exactly the target audience the film was made for -- people who vaguely remembered the original but weren't fresh on its details. Like I said, the reason Legacy was problematical for me was because I chose to see it the day after I rewatched the original. It's a sequel that works better at a significant remove. In fact, it wasn't easy for me to get my hands on that DVD of the original; they didn't have it on Netflix and I had to wait until the library's copy was available. I seem to recall that Disney intentionally made the original unavailable until after Legacy came out, almost as if they didn't want people comparing the two directly. At least, they wanted Legacy to stand on its own.

Deledrius likes this.
  6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I've had one of the special editions of Tron for a good number of years. It was interesting after watching the "making of" dvd that came with it before going to see Legacy. Some of the character designs in Legacy bear striking resemblance to some unused art from Tron.

Heck, when you think about it Legacy is a pretty close beat - for - beat retelling of Tron.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But in both cases, Flynn and Alan speak to their programs in normal conversational English. And Alan even mentions Tron's identity disc, which is something that no one in the real world should even know about...

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine there's something like a universal translator operating....

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He does? I don't recall that.

Deledrius likes this.
  10. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

So..every time we reboot we kill them?

Time to reboot :evil:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. At one point (in the I/O Tower) we hear Alan say "I am creating the information on your disc that will erase the MCP and change the system. Dedicate yourself to getting the disc into the heart of the MCP."