Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"Coldfire" is good, but I really wish we had gotten to see more of Suspiria. She shows up for about 5 minutes, attempts to murder some people, and then leaves in a tantrum. Pretty lame.

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, it always bugged me that no more was made of her.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Banjoman had plans to make babies with her.

80 year old guy vs. 9 year old girl.

I know their appearances were only glamours/illusions, but come'on, I can't be the first person to think that they would never use a dating service run by Rick Berman.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  4. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I come off as being a bit harsh on Voy and Brandon Braga, but I really like Voyager, and I mean that. I think I was a bit too critical of his work and him. I think he is a really great guy. I'm sorry for being a bit harsh and maybe even rude when talking about him and his work. I really like his work. Voy ages really well.

One thing that sets him apart from other writers is he always follow his heart.

5. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No need to be so pedantic.

6. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

As far as 'The Chute' goes it is hard to believe a bunch of people can eat off the floor and not die after awhile.
    In fact I never believed they were on a ship in outer space until it was only Kim who found the viewport. Then at the end Neelix blasts through all their defenses to save Kim and Tom. A good solid ep.

7. You_Will_Fail

NO SPOILERS!!!

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Awww, someone wants attention.:lol::lol:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  9. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Yeah, if everyone could please refrain from spoilers I would REALLY appreciate it. I'm having to ignore half the posts in my own thread because so many people insist on discussing episodes I haven't even watched yet. If this were a different thread that would be fine, but it's not.

On a happier note, I watched two more episodes last night and had a blast:

Prototype: Good use of the Prime Directive, and I thought the robots were pretty fascinating. A solid episode.
    6/10

Alliances: The first truly exceptional episode of Voyager. If I had any doubts about this show before, they have now been silenced by this terrific episode. Alliances featured some great development for the Kazon arc; the Trabe were introduced and we learned about their history with the Kazon; Janeway attempted to form an alliance with the Kazon, and their one attempt at peace was foiled by none other than the Trabe. I was genuinely surprised and shocked by the ending. Seska was entertaining as always, as were the Kazon, who I am now finally starting to warm up to.
    This episode took me for such a loop. It was entertaining from beginning to end and extremely well written.
    9/10

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. You_Will_Fail

I thought Prototype was a fairly mediocre episode, B'Ellana elevated it slightly though as she does with any of the episodes she is featured as the central character.
    As for "Alliances", I thought it was good but the ending disappointed me, "we've tried one time to go away from Federation rules so that means we can never and should never try again". Its just a trope that I really hate in fiction where a good idea is never tried out a second time just because the first time wasn't so successful. It seemed like the end of that episode set the tone for the rest of the series "let's not take any more risks!"

Another thing that also bothered me in that episode, albeit small, was that Voyager fired a photon torpedo at the trabe ship from orbit...that shoulda blown the whole village to pieces!

11. Guy Gardener

Prototype merely proved once more that Janeway hates babies, and anyone who feels like making babies.

12. exodus

Prototype was decent episode and way better than Alliences.
    IMO Alliences fails because it doesnt modernize the conflict of racial hate. The ep. should have ended showing not just the Trabe as villlains but the Kazons own continued ignorance to move beyond their slave mentality. The ep. needed to show the only ones holding the Kazon back now, are themselves.

13. Guy Gardener

I thought that was self evident when they mentioned that the revolt had happened 50 years back?

I don't know what's sadder.

That the Kazon can't build new ships, that the trabe can't build new ships with out new slaves, or that the Kazon now take slaves for themselves.

14. exodus

15. Guy Gardener

The difference is that the black people in the 1860s didn't
    kill all the white people, well, cull them into an endangered species and then claim their stuff and land for there own. Walk out of their chains and kennels right into the Mansions and luxury where their masters used to rule from.

Of course what would the Indians do?

On one hand whiteys gone, so it seems like the perfect time to make a play to get their country back, on the other, the new ruling class just made soup out of a nation of cutthroat assholes who had murdered them to the brink and nicked 18 thousand cubic miles of dirt in the process.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  16. Lord Manitou

Lord Manitou Commander Red Shirt

I thought the ep. was a good epistomological study in robotics. It would be sophism to call the writers stupid. The robots came from an advanced culture but they looked like they came from todays science. In some future time scientists might make robots to reproduce themselves and come along with the same predicament.
    In fact a race of robots that would want to rule supreme over us carries a signature of inevitability.

17. Guy Gardener

In the original battlestar Galactica, the Cylon species were nine foot tall lizards who died out thousands of years earlier but their servant class of robots continued on in their name using their worlds and their technology.

Then there's Wall-E.

18. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Just watched Thresholds...oh my.

From beginning to end this episode was pretty absurd, although I do think it had its redeeming moments. The Doctor was very funny in this episode, and a lot of his remarks made me laugh.
    Overall, I'll give it a 2/10, and that's a generous rating.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I actually found "Threshold" a lot more entertaining this time around than I remembered it being. I mean, it was completely ridiculous, but I had fun with it!

20. You_Will_Fail

The technobabble kills it and stops it from being that enjoyable even in a silly way. I don't enjoy listening to people talk meaningless crap for 5 minutes.