"Devil"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe this writer/director will surprise us and surpass M. Night's ability as a storyteller.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Already mentioned the name of the second along with the writer attached to it on page one of this thread. No word on a director yet for "The Twelve Strangers".

3. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

I'd love to see that movie. Interesting variation on the old concept of looking at Christian mythology through the lens of 'history is written by the victors'.

So far as I'm aware the films are connected only by Shyamalan's involvement.

Cue another dozen 'I hate Shyamalan' posts...

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Again Shyamalan has come up with the stories for each of the three films in the so called "Midnight Chronicles" while each film with have their own writer and director.

5. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

The audience groan at the appearance of Shyamalan's name has been caught on video: Here

It seems to be a widely noticed phenomenon. Check out all the Google hits I got when searching for "Shyamalan groan."

As a huge fan of The Sixth Sense and an admirer of Unbreakable, I feel bad for the guy. He showed promise in his earlier films, and man I was hoping The Last Airbender would prove to be his comeback. Dang.

6. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I discovered the hot daughter from Edge of Darkness is in it, and that in reality she's an Aussie, but I still won't go see this.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Awesome movie, passibly good movie along with signs (other than the giant plot hole in it.)

But since then he's been a spiral downward of suck.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Been done. Was moderately popular...

:lol:

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'd be really funny if that WAS the twist of the movie.

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I saw this trailer in the theater today. It looked vaguely interesting until I saw the "M. Night Shyamalan" card, then I rolled my eyes.

It made me think of a Saw movie, only without the Rube Goldberg death contraptions.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And without those, what's the point?

12. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

What A TWIST! the movie

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, that was my thought. It would have to ride completely on the mystery and the characters--things Shyamalan has not done well in his scripts for quite some time.

14. Wynterhawk

Wynterhawk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My thoughts exactly. Considering right away, you get the girl in the tank-top and the shot down her shirt as she's crawling on the floor. Who even wears tank tops?

15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Don't care, she's got nice bewbies. ;)

16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Judging by what I've seen this Summer...a lot of women do.

17. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I got a kick out of this humorous pitch meeting for "Devil".

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I groaned when M. Night Shyamalan's name came up, so I guess I'm one of those snobs. So did the entire audience I was with when the trailer came up.

19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't feel bad for him, because anyone could see, and should have seen at the script stage, that Signs, et al, had tremendous flaws. My interest, at this point, is almost academic--how did he go from making engaging, hermetic mysteries to what I'll charitably describe as "stories" about ludicrous, essentially divine threats, resolved by the Power of Fucking Love?

Well, that and the interest in being entertained by schadenfreude.

I agree with the above comments that Devil looks absolutely dire, and possibly not even interestingly bad, like Signs or The Happening.

20. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've seen the trailer in front of three movies now, and other audience members laughed each time when Shyamalan's name came up on screen. I think that's rather unfortunate, really. I may not have cared much for The Village, and flat-out hated The Happening like so many others, but I still think he brings a different sensibility and approach that can be very interesting.

Thank you for this. When I noticed the website URL in the trailer the first time, I assumed this was a novel adaptation but I never bothered trying to find out if my assumption was accurate or not.

While I don't disagree that he's been on a downward spiral since Signs (which I wasn't all that fond of, and I have yet to watch Lady in the Water), I loved Unbreakable and quite enjoyed The Sixth Sense. If Shyamalan had directed this, I probably would've waited for a rental. Since he didn't, I think I'll go ahead and try to check it out in theater if I can fit it in.