What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Snowlilly, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Girl Who Would Be King by Kelly Thompson.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Just started the second Star Trek Seekers novel

3. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Grimoire of the Lamb by Kevin Hearne

4. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. The third book in the trilogy is scheduled to be released in November. Finally!

5. Kenbushway

Kenbushway Captain Captain

A couple of books:

1. A history of the New York Stock Market by Robert Sobel
    2. Devil take the Hindmost. A history of financial speculation by Edward Chancellor
    3. The art of the Market: Two centuries of american business as seen through its stock certificates by Bob Famarkin and Les Krantz

6. Velocity

Daring by Elliott James

7. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My current e-book read is When the Night Comes by Favel Parrett. It is a novel set in Tasmania.

8. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

True. :) Though there is a buildup of antagonism taking place, which may continue into the next book. I thought there would be more nastiness between humans and trolls than there was.

As for Slow Apocalypse, I have a friend who is, among other things, a reviewer of SF books (he may be familiar to one or two of you) who said, the other night, that it was leading him to identify a new subgenre within science fiction, which he calls "Make Me a Sammich!" I haven't gotten to that point yet (I'm a little less than halfway through), but my response was, "Nothing can beat Farnham's Freehold for MakeMeASammichism. Apparently that's a high bar, according to someone else in the thread...

9. Miss Chicken

having finished the excellent and before mentioned The Dig Tree, I have just started listening to H.G. Well's The Invisible Man.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes I thought that too. There definitely seem to be threads that will show up in the next book but
    whilst I'm all for that it did feel a little like they weren;t too fussed about this book, and it was just a means to an end. It pretty much ends the same way as the first book as well, only with a natural disaster rather than a man made one.

11. LiterallyRyan

LiterallyRyan Cadet Newbie

Been pretty obsessed with Wilkie Collins as of late. Armandale and The Woman in White more specifically. The other 2 main books of his The Moonstone and The Law & The Lady were both really solid books but I felt that the former had some fairly ridiculous moments through-out and all of it would be incredibly unlikely to ever happen to anyone.

12. Velocity

A Demon Summer by GM Malliet

13. L'Idiot

L'Idiot Ensign Red Shirt

The Trek BBS. I bet no one has ever said that before!

14. Miss Chicken

I am currently listening to Earth Abides by George R Stewart, narrated by Jonathan Davis. It is a book that I have read about three times before but this is the first time I have listened to the audiobook version of it.

15. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Finished Red Planet Blues by Robert J. Sawyer. Fun, but ultimately disappointing. I loved the concept, but it's plagued by small universe syndrome, where everybody is invariably connected in one way or another, and it becomes repetitive with each character being visited over and over. It all devolves into pissing matches and action sequences.

16. Miss Chicken

I am reading My Urohs by Emelihter Kihleng. It is a small book of poetry by a Pohnpeian poet who has lived in Pohnpie, Guam, Hawaii and the USA. There are useful footnotes that help to explain the poems.

17. think

think About it! Premium Member

so... I am reading A Schizophrenic's Notes By Thomas Griffith...
    I got the book from Thomas and he signed it he only charged me 10$ for the book an I did not realized I had ten dollars in my pocket ,, I am also editing/adding to the book in the margin as the doctors consider myself schizo-effective and that is enough for me to feel I have the liberty to write in the margin of this book... does anybody write in their book margins as well? and what do you write..?

18. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Henry IV part 1. A lot funnier than I'd expected. I'll probably look around for a good movie version or other recording.

Recently finished The Thief Taker by CS Quinn, a thriller set in the plague-ridden London of 1665. It's quite good, but could have done with being prof-read by someone without a fear of commas. The frequent bad syntax was a little distracting, but this tale of a 17th-century Sherlock Holmes type caught up in events involving murder, intrigue and a plot against the Crown has a lot to commend it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  19. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

A lot of people highlight passages in books or put notes in the margins. I've never done it myself.

20. Miss Chicken

I rarely write in books. The only exception is for books about books such as 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. In these books I write in pencil if I own or have read the book, mark the books I might want to read and if they are available as audiobook, e-book, paperback, hardback and the costs.