Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's not so much the change as it is the horrible way they've implemented it. A monkey on acid could have set the forum up better than what they managed in an entire day. They didn't even finish the style sheet. You see mauve, sea green, and tan buttons on a black background with silver finish, as well as jagged white borders on the buttons themselves. The post demarcation lines don't extend all the way down, so some posts look like they're broken. Many of the links don't work, or didn't when I linked my accounts. It's half assed in every way. Hell, I didn't even get to keep my name.

I do hate that I can't customize my own avatar, though.

2. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

In case no ones heard, Heretic has left cryptic.

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait what?! Let me guess, too close to the community?
    Does that mean Borticus is now the lead of his department?

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

awkward, seeing as how they've been pinning all the turnaround on PvP, STFs, etc on him, telling us not to worry... :lol:

Then again, seeing as how things like the STF drop rate were all him, and his response to feedback was essentially "shut up and deal with it, it's working as designed", can't say I will overly miss him. At least one rat was smart enough to get off the sinking ship.

5. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Are you sure you're not thinking of Gozer? I thought Heretic was the doff and starbase dev.

6. Timelord Victorious

Yeah, Gozer is PVP and STF. Heretic is Doff and Starbases and was designated Systemdesigner for First Officer and Department Head system.

7. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ha, crap, yep.

Too bad on Heretic. DOFFs and the upcoming Starbases are pretty much all we've gotten recently, and IMO saved the game from already being dead. The First Officer/Department Head thing, however, was a dud. Unless I'm missing something, doesn't appear to actually DO anything, other than give you a tab to pretend with. Are there effects based on who is in those slots, or does it simply affect which picture shows up when a BOFF needs to tell you something?

8. Timelord Victorious

Actually that system was to be expanded originally... The dep heads were supposed to "consume" doffs to enhance their own stats and First officer was supposed to receive special Number 1 powers and even number one play...

9. SilentP

SilentP Commodore Commodore

I know that was the plan, has that been dropped from being a future feature in the near term (or at least near term as it gets with ST:O)?

10. Timelord Victorious

It's definitely closer to never than soon.

11. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks guys! :)

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

But as of right now, does NOTHING other than choosing which picture to display when a BOFF reads a report, right?

At least, I haven't found any differences...

Like MANY things in this game, it was half-assed to start, and then abandoned rather than fixed/finished/removed. So many things that would have been cool with a little more planning/work, but were just put out and abandoned instead

13. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

Well Dept heads have their own Doff missions.

14. SilentP

^ Though I think they may be identical to the ones that you get from the officers on the interior of your ships (First Officer=Diplomatic Attache in the ready room, Chief Engineer=Engineering Officer on the Engineering Deck etc.).

15. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

Starbases are up for testing on Tribble.

However I quit testing them as soon as the Dev said it'd take weeks before even a dedicated fleet could reach tier 1 (which would unlock the bank and mail etc).

Lost all interest.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And near as I can tell, picking a white human science officer as first officer doesn't do anything differently than a purple tac officer. The missions on the ship are just at certain spots, and they use the picture of whoever you picked to be, say, CMO, to give them to you. No functional differences

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Cryptic is switching from C-points to Zen. I guess they got tired of having to explain the exchange rates to people who are convinced that their losing money on this when their not.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=280551

Also the prices will be adjusted which I was kind of hoping they would sort of forget about doing so things would be unintentionally cheaper.

Oh and everyone's favorite Crystal spiders are here

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=280841

18. Briquettes

Briquettes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually glad they are converting to Zen. It's always been a pain in the ass for me to figure out the real money cost of items on the C-Store with $1.00=80CP. Now, with $1.00=100 Zen I can tell at a glance if a ship is 2500 Zen it will cost $25.00, etc.

Also, the Tholians look awesome.

19. SilentP

Didn't we use to have a Doff Exchange thread around or am I going crazy?

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus we get to go back to just giving them money and getting the points to spend instead of the extra step of converting it.

On another note I hear the .5 Sovereign is supposed to become available before season 6 which means we will likely be getting it soon (the actual meaning of the word not Cryptic's in a sense of a larger amount of time meaning).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.